22 replies to this topic

#21 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Every time one of these goals is scored we see the replay, make our own decision, and then no matter how obvious it may seem we still sit in suspense as we anxiously await the call since we all know the calls on these are extremely inconsistent. I guess disallowing all goals off a player's skate could lead to problems where the officials can't tell if the puck went off the skate or his leg. However, kicking a puck is harder than shooting it except for certain instances like scrambles in the crease etc., so if kicking the puck is allowed I don't think it will lead to an epidemic of players opting to kick the puck instead of shoot it, so I think they should just allow all goals off of skates. It's not like they would be permitting them to pick up the puck and throw it and we wouldn't haves games being decided by one man's interpretation of what a kicking motion is.

I wouldn't want to see kicked goals allowed just because of the danger it poses to goalies. If there's a loose puck around the crease, I wouldn't want Marty reaching to cover it if players are trying to kick the thing in. I could see some dumbass like Cooke or Clarkson giving some goalie the old Glenn Healy bagpipe treatment.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#22 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

It's obvious to me that the rule is constantly being misinterpretated because of the way in which it is written. If the NHL really wants to avoid any confusion, the league needs only to reword the rule so that everyone fully understasnds what is going on:

If the puck goes in off of the skate of a player from an Original Six team, or from a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins, then it's a goal. If the puck goes in off of the skate of a player from a non-Original Six team, or a non-Penguins player, then it's not a goal.

Simple. ;)

#23 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

They weren't identical, Cooke redirected the puck, Zach wasn't even looking at the puck. Both should have been allowed according to the rulebook, but that's where the similarity ends.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users