86 replies to this topic

#41 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Not true. The "You Suck" chant really took off during the playoff series against the Rangers in 2006. I'd say that series ended pretty well. I was in section 217 that whole season.

I was at those games and don't remember it at all.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#42 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Just got a response from the Devils.

As usual, generic and not addressing my e-mail lol.

Mr. Timoni:

Thanks very much for taking the time to write and provide your input. It is always a pleasure to hear from the Devils Army!

Thanks,

Rich Krezwick

#43 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

I was at those games and don't remember it at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9zdeU9IqU
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,125 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Just got a response from the Devils.

As usual, generic and not addressing my e-mail lol.

Mr. Timoni:

Thanks very much for taking the time to write and provide your input. It is always a pleasure to hear from the Devils Army!

Thanks,

Rich Krezwick

Weak. Very disappointing.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9zdeU9IqU

Sounds like not too many people were chanting it and just really the people around him. Since it is near 228 where the Crazies used to sit there, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in either starting it or popularizing it.

Either way, the "you suck" chant is lame and silly and reeks of insecurity. I would love for that and the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant to end immediately.

#46 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Either way, the "you suck" chant is lame and silly and reeks of insecurity. I would love for that and the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant to end immediately.

To me, every excuse I've heard against "You Suck" reaks of insecurity. And I'd love for this stupid debate to end, and for people to just support the team in their own way and stop bickering over something that hurts absolutely no one. It's already derailed yet another perfectly good thread (and was derailed by the anti-You Suck crowd, FWIW :evil: ).

To each their own.

Also, I love the old horn, but the new one has grown on me. It took a while, but I've heard it enough now that it no longer sounds foreign. I'm actually ashamed to say I didn't even notice that they were using the old one on Saturday. I was probably too caught up in the Bob Arsena nostalgia and watching a grown man in a blue Malkin jersey talk sh!t with a 7-year-old two rows in front of him.
Posted Image

#47 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

To me, every excuse I've heard against "You Suck" reaks of insecurity. And I'd love for this stupid debate to end, and for people to just support the team in their own way and stop bickering over something that hurts absolutely no one. It's already derailed yet another perfectly good thread (and was derailed by the anti-You Suck crowd, FWIW :evil: ).

To each their own.

Also, I love the old horn, but the new one has grown on me. It took a while, but I've heard it enough now that it no longer sounds foreign. I'm actually ashamed to say I didn't even notice that they were using the old one on Saturday. I was probably too caught up in the Bob Arsena nostalgia and watching a grown man in a blue Malkin jersey talk sh!t with a 7-year-old two rows in front of him.

I do support the team in my own way by not doing the "hey you suck" chant. However, when our fans get all butthurt over every little mention about how we are unoriginal and insecure, there are reasons why we get called that. The "hey you suck" chant is one of many. The chant itself is pretty new and started when we stopped being a consistent Cup contender. I guess we need something else to make our fans feel better about themselves.

I pointed out in another thread about a month ago things that this team does that is minor league. This is one that the fans do that is minor league.

Edited by DevsMan84, 19 March 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,125 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

To each their own.

Well, thanks for trying to at least get this back on topic.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Sounds like not too many people were chanting it and just really the people around him. Since it is near 228 where the Crazies used to sit there, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in either starting it or popularizing it.

the "you suck" is debate-able, I'll grant you that it is getting old. but I'll always like the crowd trolling the Philly and Rangers fanbases with "suck and swallow". and if not with that, then something else. I just think it's funny to provoke them since they do their darnedest to provoke us. Their fanbases are no saints themselves. so what if we "stoop to their level?" then we get the distinction of being the fanbase that gets called the 'goody-two shoes' fanbase for not engaging in it...

eh, either way, it is what it is, and it'll take a huge effort to get people to change

To each their own.

This as well. It doesn't hurt anyone, except the overly sensitive parents that bring little kids to a game and expect a rated-G experience. For crying out loud, most real sports are violent displays - they're HITTING people! So why would it matter if there's a little swearing or 'lewd' language floating around. True, people shouldn't swear like sailors with the F-bomb being every other word out of their mouth, but parents can't expect a manners convention at a public sporting event. It just doesn't happen with real people. That being said, it's stupid to say that it's childish or degrading to our fanbase. Other fanbases do it and they aren't getting crap for it. Sure there are some who in the crowd who think they're "better than that"
OK, fine, if you don't approve of it, no one is asking you to. Just abstain. All it is, is a rallying cry against an opposing team (which often imply lewd meanings or smack talk in lieu of 'yo mama' references) so I'll participate once in a while but whatever. I personally hate it when lets say the ref makes a call 90% of the crowd disagrees with and where there are a lot of boos, people yell out "hey ref you ****ing idiot, get some glasses" or similar things, and I get some parent a few rows/seats away giving me a dirty look cause I had the audacity to say swear. So what? your kids probably already know every one in the book by the time you would bring them to a game. Just remind them they shouldn't copy what they see if you don't want them to repeat it.

This debate is tired and old. It all boils down to if you don't like it, don't go to a game, or just ignore it and don't participate. who really cares, and if people want to think it's degratory to the ffanbase's reputation then that's your right to believe that. I just don't

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#50 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

the "you suck" is debate-able, I'll grant you that it is getting old. but I'll always like the crowd trolling the Philly and Rangers fanbases with "suck and swallow". and if not with that, then something else. I just think it's funny to provoke them since they do their darnedest to provoke us. Their fanbases are no saints themselves. so what if we "stoop to their level?" then we get the distinction of being the fanbase that gets called the 'goody-two shoes' fanbase for not engaging in it...

eh, either way, it is what it is, and it'll take a huge effort to get people to change

This as well. It doesn't hurt anyone, except the overly sensitive parents that bring little kids to a game and expect a rated-G experience. For crying out loud, most real sports are violent displays - they're HITTING people! So why would it matter if there's a little swearing or 'lewd' language floating around. True, people shouldn't swear like sailors with the F-bomb being every other word out of their mouth, but parents can't expect a manners convention at a public sporting event. It just doesn't happen with real people. That being said, it's stupid to say that it's childish or degrading to our fanbase. Other fanbases do it and they aren't getting crap for it. Sure there are some who in the crowd who think they're "better than that"
OK, fine, if you don't approve of it, no one is asking you to. Just abstain. All it is, is a rallying cry against an opposing team (which often imply lewd meanings or smack talk in lieu of 'yo mama' references) so I'll participate once in a while but whatever. I personally hate it when lets say the ref makes a call 90% of the crowd disagrees with and where there are a lot of boos, people yell out "hey ref you ****ing idiot, get some glasses" or similar things, and I get some parent a few rows/seats away giving me a dirty look cause I had the audacity to say swear. So what? your kids probably already know every one in the book by the time you would bring them to a game. Just remind them they shouldn't copy what they see if you don't want them to repeat it.

This debate is tired and old. It all boils down to if you don't like it, don't go to a game, or just ignore it and don't participate. who really cares, and if people want to think it's degratory to the ffanbase's reputation then that's your right to believe that. I just don't

I am not trying to compare our fanbase with theirs, just our fanbase in general.

If you really want to troll Rags fans, whenever we score just start chanting their goal song. That really sets them off every time.

Anyways back to the goal horn, I say switch to the old one. A large majority of my memories of goals include that goal horn, so I am all in favor of switching back.

#51 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

To each their own.

I, too, am sort of embarrased to admit that I didn't even notice the old goal horn on Saturday. I probably had too much going on around me -- i.e., my squirming little kid. I also didn't even notice Bob Arsena on the PA till the last minute to play in the period, "One minute!" But listening to the old clips, I do hear the difference in horn sounds. It's probably partly nostalgia, but I, too, like the old horn better.

As for the "Hey, You Suck!" debate that keeps seeping into other threads, it's obvious to me that this is not going away anytime soon. Even though many people think it's been beaten to death, someone should start a new thread but this time make it in the form of a poll so that we can get some actual numbers to go along with everyone's opinion. Title it something like "The 'Hey, You Suck' Chant." Just give two options: "Like it" and "Don't like it." And then let everyone have at it, giving their reasons why.

Edited by 95Crash, 19 March 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#52 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

I personally hate it when lets say the ref makes a call 90% of the crowd disagrees with and where there are a lot of boos, people yell out "hey ref you ****ing idiot, get some glasses" or similar things, and I get some parent a few rows/seats away giving me a dirty look cause I had the audacity to say swear. So what? your kids probably already know every one in the book by the time you would bring them to a game. Just remind them they shouldn't copy what they see if you don't want them to repeat it.

Without a question I would have a conversation with you if you said that near me-even without children involved, be respectful as you are clearly in the wrong.

http://www.prucenter...nGuide_REV7.pdf
Prudential Center Code of Conduct (pages 12/13):

* Guests shall be respectful of all other guests, fans, participants, referees, entertainers, athletes, arena staff and arena property.
* Guests shall refrain from using offensive language, making obscene gestures, throwing objects and possessing prohibited items.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#53 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

Without a question I would have a conversation with you if you said that near me-even without children involved, be respectful as you are clearly in the wrong.

* Guests shall be respectful of all other guests, fans, participants, referees, entertainers, athletes, arena staff and arena property.
* Guests shall refrain from using offensive language, making obscene gestures, throwing objects and possessing prohibited items.

I totally agree with this. I am a young 20 year old. I do have a foul mouth however when I get to my seats I always do a quick scan to see where the little kids are. If they are very close to me, I watch what I say because every single kid, as we all were little kids at the Devils game at one point, are there to have fun, spend time with their moms and dads and enjoy the sport. These kids are OUR fanbase's future. Ofcourse its professional sports and you will hear things that you wouldnt want your kids to hear and repeat but that doesnt mean you can be out of control with what you say. We can be a loud fanbase.....we dont need to be outright obnoxious and all I am saying is the you suck chant is treading a fine line. Just my .02 cents so take it or leave it.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#54 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,125 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Oh well...since this thread that was supposed to be about bringing back the old goal horn has become a thread about "you suck" and proper fan conduct:

I don't parttake in the "you suck" chant. Not my thing. I stop at "HEY!" But "you suck" is not going anywhere. Admittedly I don't like hearing young children say it, but that's on their parents...which brings me to:

As a father of a three-and-a-half year old daughter, I am responsible for shaping her behavior and for teaching her manners. It's my job, my wife's job, and a few select others. I may not like other fans cursing and acting boorishly in front of her, but it's my responsibility to then explain to her why that repeating that behavior in public would reflect badly on her, and me as her father. No one else signed up for the job of raising my little girl, so I don't expect everyone else to magically start stifling themselves in her presence. The world is what it is. In reality, all I can do is try to be as positive an example for her as I can, and to point out why she shouldn't fall in with the negative ones.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 March 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#55 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thank you for posting this as more and more people it seems to check their civility out at the door once they walk into the arena.

I know it's a sports event and these things happen, but just keep in mind your surroundings. If I see kids near me, I know to keep it down as I do not want to ruin it for them or their family.

#56 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

*opens thread to see discussion about old goal horn, sees yet another thread that's dissolved into a 'you suck' pissing contest*

*closes thread*

Edited by Devilsfan118, 19 March 2012 - 11:26 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#57 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Oh well...since this thread that was supposed to be about bringing back the old goal horn has become a thread about "you suck" and proper fan conduct:

I don't parttake in the "you suck" chant. Not my thing. I stop at "HEY!" But "you suck" is not going anywhere. Admittedly I don't like hearing young children say it, but that's on their parents...which brings me to:

As a father of a three-and-a-half year old daughter, I am responsible for shaping her behavior and for teaching her manners. It's my job, my wife's job, and a few select others. I may not like other fans cursing and acting boorishly in front of her, but it's my responsibility to then explain to her why that repeating that behavior in public would reflect badly on her, and me as her father. No one else signed up for the job of raising my little girl, so I don't expect everyone else to magically start stifling themselves in her presence. The world is what it is. In reality, all I can do is try to be as positive an example for her as I can, and to point out why she shouldn't fall in with the negative ones.

Thing is it seems that this kind of boorish behavior is getting worse and worse every year. Growing up in a family with season tickets, I do not remember back in the 90's and even through the early 2000's the fans being this bad. It just seems to get worse every year since we moved to Newark and not sure if it is just a sign of the times or what, but it needs to stop.

Anyways does anyone know of an email of a person that has some power to change something like the goal horn? I think if we just keep emailing the mgmt alias we will just get canned responses.

Edited by DevsMan84, 19 March 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#58 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Isn't it actually a .wav file and not a real horn, unlike our current one which is mounted above the scoreboard? While I love the old horn, it really made retro day more special and I'd love to see it as a once a year thing as long as we can score some damn goals. If I remember correctly it debuted in the short-lived 93 playoffs.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#59 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Isn't it actually a .wav file and not a real horn, unlike our current one which is mounted above the scoreboard? While I love the old horn, it really made retro day more special and I'd love to see it as a once a year thing as long as we can score some damn goals. If I remember correctly it debuted in the short-lived 93 playoffs.

To me the old horn sounded more like a big rig horn while the new one sounds like a train horn. I still like the older horn better and thought it was pretty unique amongst other NHL goal horns. It sounds like most teams use boat horns, especially at places like St. Louis.

#60 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

I, too, am sort of embarrased to admit that I didn't even notice the old goal horn on Saturday. I probably had too much going on around me -- i.e., my squirming little kid. I also didn't even notice Bob Arsena on the PA till the last minute to play in the period, "One minute!" But listening to the old clips, I do hear the difference in horn sounds. It's probably partly nostalgia, but I, too, like the old horn better.

Love that "ooooone minute" call! However bad the game was, all three times I heard it actually made me downright giddy. I was 12-years old all over again, eating Skittles during intermission and racing my friends up the stairs of the CAA upper bowl. Funny how two little words can be a time machine.

Makes me even sadder than I didn't notice the horn.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users