64 replies to this topic

#41 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

I like this idea only if we can pick up a 1st round pick in the process. If we are going to be just above a cap floor team might as well get some value in a Gomez contract that is less then the cap.

According to the article, the Canadian's plan is to buy him out. So don't we get to pay him whatever we want?
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#42 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

According to the article, the Canadian's plan is to buy him out. So don't we get to pay him whatever we want?

You're correct, I failed to read the article jumping to conclusions.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

yet last night, you were lamenting in chat how the devils have 3 players under team control in after next year (4 if you count tedenby - which we should). zajac and elias should be part of the plan for that year also but i'd feel better with a guy like ponikarovski signed for 3 years at a reasonable number. could p.a. parrenteau be someone to look at for RW?

ponikarovsky at 3 years? why? who else wants this guy - we got him for nothing. 3 years at 1.75M, sure.

parenteau is a player who is classically overvalued by the market, i'd pass.

it's a little daunting, but i don't think just signing a guy for a few years really solves anything. have you looked at who's available in free agency? it's pretty awful.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

A move that i've been in favor of if the right situation came to fruition. Kovy and him together could be feast or famine but they should at least try.

http://spectorshocke...ens-and-bruins/

Like I have been saying: Gomez did the unforgivable with the whole Rangers things - however, he has been rightfully humiliated in the league and has paid his penance and should now return at a reasonable price.

Henrique should move to wing and let Gomez center.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#45 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Like I have been saying: Gomez did the unforgivable with the whole Rangers things - however, he has been rightfully humiliated in the league and has paid his penance and should now return at a reasonable price.

Henrique should move to wing and let Gomez center.

Agreed. I always thought of Gomez as a cocky and selfish player, but over the last 3,4 years he's become a joke. If a fresh start wouldn't motivate him, I'm not sure what would. He still has his speed and hockey sense, but it's his confidence that's probably lacking. Id do a one year/one mill contract if mtl buys him out

#46 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

it's a little daunting, but i don't think just signing a guy for a few years really solves anything. have you looked at who's available in free agency? it's pretty awful.

i have - contract aside, here are forwards i'd actually want on the team:

semin
parise
kostitsen
hudler
kelly
ponikarovski
2nd round pick (d. moore)
wellwood

you're correct that it's slim pickings.

you're poni contract would be fine.

jiri hudler intrigues me but he's a small left handed leftwing so probably not.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#47 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

fvck Gomez, I'm waiting for Ilkka Pikkarainen's return :ph34r:

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#48 Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

at a cheep price i would take him back all he has to do is pass the puck to kovy.

#49 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

i have - contract aside, here are forwards i'd actually want on the team:

semin
parise
kostitsen
hudler
kelly
ponikarovski
2nd round pick (d. moore)
wellwood

you're correct that it's slim pickings.

you're poni contract would be fine.

jiri hudler intrigues me but he's a small left handed leftwing so probably not.

Most of these guys play center or are left-handed. I don't want any of them besides Wellwood. Gomez is the only exception if he got bought out since he could be a decent reclamation project and if not, well, there's plenty of centers around.

EDIT - other than semin, who i would be interested in for one year.

Edited by Triumph, 20 March 2012 - 05:59 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#50 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

I'm on the "give him a one-year for a million or less" bandwagon. Maybe getting out of Montreal and back to where he's arguably had his greatest successes could be the spark he needs to save his career.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#51 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

The problem with Gomez is personality, not talent. The Devils would know better than us if his personality has matured or not.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#52 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

He should have just taken the trade to the Islanders at the deadline and played with their kids for his full salary. But i don't want him back either, though Idon't see it as a purely poisonous move.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#53 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Not interested. Things will change drastically when Zajac is back in a few games.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#54 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

Fvck it! Bring him and Gionta back!

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#55 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

No, Gomez will join Washington and bring Ovechkin down with him. However, the Pre-season will predict Gomez will record 70+ assists with Ovy, who should score at least 60 with Gomez setting him up.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#56 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Not a fan of this idea at all and I have no faith in him playing well but if he comes back I hope he proves me wrong.

#57 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

While I could see it happening, I'd rather Lou focus on getting Zach re-signed as soon as possible. Also, I thank gomez for signing with the rangers because it saved the Devils from being stuck paying him millions for less production than rolston, plus with the money we would have payed gomez we got Kovy instead.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#58 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

We should also sign Rolston! He's a beast in Boston!

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#59 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,388 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

No, Gomez will join Washington and bring Ovechkin down with him. However, the Pre-season will predict Gomez will record 70+ assists with Ovy, who should score at least 60 with Gomez setting him up.

This might be really good for Gomez. What he needs is to grow up and understand that he knows hockey. He's being a big baby and not taking responsibility for the game on the whole. It's always been the way he's been. He's not lazy or whiney -- he's just... I dont know what he is, because all of those cliches are just not really productive thinking -- he's afraid of failure - what a load of crap <_<

gomez just won't step up to the plate. He doesn't understand what it means. He has all these ideas in his head and he just doesn't get his place in it all. he thinks he needs something outside of himself. it's the curse of talent. You just do it and it works and you dont understand it. When things crap out then you're triple baffled.

Even when he teaches now I'm sure he's thinking I was told to do this -- so and so told me to do that.... he never accepts the credit for knowing himself. Gomez is intuitive thinking at it's most tragic.

:unsure: I think he needs to go to school... I think he should take some classes over the summer. He needs to learn to think. He has to understand in a very clear way that we control our lives. We make choices by thinking about things a certain way. You choose how you think not merely how you react or how you interpret.

Gomez is going through life interpreting and reacting to things around and assuming those are thoughts and choices. Btu they aren't. It's just liek his not taking shots. it's why he's such a great playmaker. Play making is taking what you've been given and making the best of it. Dude can CREATE from nothing. He's always got to have somethign to bounce off of -- :saddevil: He just needs to give himself more credit. Coming back to the Devils actually woudl just let him continue on this same path. I think he's very close to learning hwo to do it alone. You teach best what you most need to learn.

I think maybe sticking him with another hyper intuitive thinker who is EXTREMELY focused like Ovechkin.... he might get frustrated into making the connection of the lessons he's been taught. I think Gomez will know things that Ovechkin doesn't and it will sufficiently stun him into getting some confidence in HIMSELF. not merely his reaction time and positive outlook.

Bahhh! Posted Image The man drives me to distraction...

Edited by Pepperkorn, 21 March 2012 - 09:16 AM.

I'm here for the party

#60 DevsChamps3x

DevsChamps3x

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

Gomez is a cancer in the locker room, I would be surprised if he made it back into a NJ uniform.

Edited by DevsChamps3x, 21 March 2012 - 09:17 AM.

95', 00' , 03'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users