94 replies to this topic

#41 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

The reason is to get him into a rythym. I just said that. If you put in a career backup who has NEVER been a starter into the playoffs and you fail, you bring in a cold Brodeur half way through a series.

He started Games 3 and 4 in the Thrashers/Rangers series in 2007. Does that count?

#42 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

The reason is to get him into a rythym. I just said that. If you put in a career backup who has NEVER been a starter into the playoffs and you fail, you bring in a cold Brodeur half way through a series.

Well I think Moose is pretty damn good....you talk like he couldn't win in the playoffs...I believe he could..

And you could have done without the....I just said that...Read your post without....much better don't you think.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#43 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Well I think Moose is pretty damn good....you talk like he couldn't win in the playoffs...I believe he could..

And you could have done without the....I just said that...Read your post without....much better don't you think.

Yeah, you are right on that last thing. My bad there.

As for moose, I also think hes pretty damn good. I just think he's very unproven in the playoffs. I think a much bigger problem heading into the playoffs is the inconsistent defense and sudden file sputtering offense.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Guys, don't any of you remember 2000-01? Hedberg was the goalie who took the Penguins to the Conference Finals against the Devils...Devils won that series 4-1. He played in 18 playoff games that season. But he's only appeared in four playoff games since: 2 with Vancouver, and 2 with Atlanta.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

I cant remember when Marty ever gave up 3 goals in a row, in a shoot out. Un Marty like.

toronto took advantyage of a 1st for marty

Fact is Marty's won 4 out of his last 14 games. He absolutely needs to pick up his play, if we're to sustain any type of long run into the playoffs.

fixed

Guys, don't any of you remember 2000-01? Hedberg was the goalie who took the Penguins to the Conference Finals against the Devils...Devils won that series 4-1. He played in 18 playoff games that season.

excellent point cr. completely forgot about that

#46 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Time to roll with the Moose :moose:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#47 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

yeah because marty lost them that game. zubie fvck off

#48 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

yeah because marty lost them that game. zubie fvck off

Stop bro. Stop making it seem like it's 1 isolated game, as opposed to a mediocre season sandwiched around an 8 game surge after the All-Star break. Brodeur loses Tuesday he'll have as many losses on the year as wins. (26)

..this thread is completely fair by Guadana, and a very good argument to debate heading into the post-season. I don't find anything wrong with Devil fans having more confidence in Hedberg, based on the body of work he's displayed here over the past 2 seasons. (despite not being HOF bound)

EDIT: Didn't mean any disrespect Beetle.. I'm just tired of hearing Marty getting glorified throughout this season, putting up pedestrian type numbers. Playing .500 hockey for the year, with a GAA that's 2½ doesn't justify post-season play at the age of 40. (even if you're a legend)

Edited by Beezer34, 25 March 2012 - 11:47 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#49 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

Did you see the defense and systematic breakdowns in front of the man tonight? Moose isn't making a hill of difference.

#50 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

And its all good dissenting views are fair and should be aired.

I just hate how he is constantly scapegoated when the team doesn't perform well.

#51 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

Guys, don't any of you remember 2000-01? Hedberg was the goalie who took the Penguins to the Conference Finals against the Devils...Devils won that series 4-1. He played in 18 playoff games that season. But he's only appeared in four playoff games since: 2 with Vancouver, and 2 with Atlanta.

Pardon me for being dense, but I fail to see the point. Getting blown out by the Devils disqualifies him even though he's a huge part of the reason why the Pens got that far? And as for the rest of his career, his lack of playoff appearances isn't quite his fault. He was in Pittsburgh two more years and they sucked. Then he turned 30 and was a backup for the rest of his career, most of which was in Atlanta.

However, I believe your overall premise is that Hedberg isn't the guy to lean on in the playoffs. I agree, but it's not a knock on Moose. Even though he's a shadow of his former self, Marty Brodeur is still Marty Brodeur, and as far as I'm concerned, it's his job to lose.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#52 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

Ride or die with #30

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#53 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,401 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

CR was just correcting people who said Hedberg had never been in the playoffs before, or hadn't had 'much' playoff experience. He had it, just not recently.

It's not legitimate to wonder if Hedberg should start the playoffs. It is legitimate to wonder what point Hedberg should play in the playoffs if Marty has more games like he's been having since he had two and a half games' worth of work on the St. Patty's Day massacre.

And it's become obvious Marty needs to sit at least another game before the playoffs (even with no back to backs) since he's given up at least a bad goal a game for a week and surrendered what, 13 goals in his last three? While Hedberg's surrendered one in his last three. Nothing wrong with actually using a useful backup.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#54 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

CR was just correcting people who said Hedberg had never been in the playoffs before, or hadn't had 'much' playoff experience. He had it, just not recently.

It's not legitimate to wonder if Hedberg should start the playoffs. It is legitimate to wonder what point Hedberg should play in the playoffs if Marty has more games like he's been having since he had two and a half games' worth of work on the St. Patty's Day massacre.

And it's become obvious Marty needs to sit at least another game before the playoffs (even with no back to backs) since he's given up at least a bad goal a game for a week and surrendered what, 13 goals in his last three? While Hedberg's surrendered one in his last three. Nothing wrong with actually using a useful backup.

You could go that route or you could argue that Marty needs a few games to get back in a groove or confidence back (that is to say if he lost it). He's pretty good though of having some bad games and moving on, however.

I think the Hedberg argument is pointless. The Devils are rolling with Marty most likely to the end. PDB might feel comfortbale with Hedberg, but things would have to get pretty interesting for him to go with Hedberg (say Brodeur gets pulled after giving up 3 goals on 6 shots. The Devils end up winning 4-3 in double OT after Hedberg makes 40 saves in relief).

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#55 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Ride AND die with #30

fixed...and I don't mean that as a point to use Marty as a way to bypass any other issues the Devils have (lack of scoring, defensive breakdowns). But the fact of the matter is we have been down this road before, its the way of the Devils. No matter how good we are we never seem to win games consistently in spite of Marty. And thats why the haters will hate and the realists will have a debate at all. If Marty plays poorly (as he has been the past few games) then we lose, plain and simple. But come playoff time, I wouldn't want anyone else in net.
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#56 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

fixed...and I don't mean that as a point to use Marty as a way to bypass any other issues the Devils have (lack of scoring, defensive breakdowns). But the fact of the matter is we have been down this road before, its the way of the Devils. No matter how good we are we never seem to win games consistently in spite of Marty. And thats why the haters will hate and the realists will have a debate at all. If Marty plays poorly (as he has been the past few games) then we lose, plain and simple. But come playoff time, I wouldn't want anyone else in net.

That's the thing with the playoffs though. Teams don't win in spite of goaltending very often. Look at every Cup winning goalie in the past 20 years. Except for Fleury in 2009 and Niemi in 2010, the goalie of the winning team has been superb, while I'd say 12-15 of the past 20, the goalies have been the difference.

You don't usually win in the playoffs when a goalie gives up 3 goals. A lot of the times you don't win many games when a goalie gives up two.

Edited by devilsrule33, 26 March 2012 - 08:37 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#57 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm just tired of hearing Marty getting glorified throughout this season, putting up pedestrian type numbers.

i wouldnt say he had a pedestrian season. just a bad streak over the last couple of weeks.

You don't usually win in the playoffs when a goalie gives up 3 goals. A lot of the times you don't win many games when a goalie gives up two.

but whats the garentee that moose would s.o. teams come playoff time

#58 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

That's the thing with the playoffs though. Teams don't win in spite of goaltending very often. Look at every Cup winning goalie in the past 20 years. Except for Fleury in 2009 and Niemi in 2010, the goalie of the winning team has been superb, while I'd say 12-15 of the past 20, the goalies have been the difference.

I agree, and I'm not saying that we will win anything. And we definitely won't win with Marty playing like he has (with the Toronto game being the epicenter of just how badly he is playing...say what you will about it but Marty looked like a minor leaguer out there in the shoot out). But as much as I love Moose, he is just a back up. Sure he's got pretty good stats in the small sample size of games he's played but there's nothing indicating that he'll carry that over into the playoffs or even through an extended amount of games. Its not like we are talking some young, hot goalie with tons of potential, we are talking about starting our back up goalie over our starter because our starter is having a rough stretch. At this point we live AND die by our starter. The team needs to be focused on finding the future, not hoping a back up will get hot during a playoff stretch when our starter isn't playing well.

The question I'm trying to answer isn't whether or not we will go far in the playoffs. And I'm not trying to figure out if Brodeur deserves to start with the way he's been playing. The only thing I'm trying to answer, in my own opinion, is whether Marty should get the nod over Hedberg in the playoffs and the short answer is yes...no contest, and that's for better or worse.
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#59 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Like Dan said, Hedberg is thriving in his backup role. A backup statistically outplaying Brodeur when his starts are extremely limited isn't exactly without precedent.

2002-03
Martin Brodeur - 41-23-9, .914 sv%, 2.02 GAA
Corey Schwab - 5-3-1, .933 sv%, 1.47 GAA

I guess we should rolled with Knuckles instead of Marty in '03, right?

It also happened in '03-04 (with Clemmer and Schwab), '09-10 (Yann Danis) and last year with Moose. Devils backups can thrive when Marty is in workhorse mode.

Moose is playing his best right now in his limited role, yet we all saw how average he could be when he shouldered more of the load earlier in the season. At the same time, we're seeing Brodeur play better the more he works. Why would anyone in their right mind want to sit Marty and work Moose right now?

I'm in the camp that rolls with Marty for the first two games, and if they go badly, give Game 3 to Moose. It's Brodeur's job to lose.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#60 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Like Dan said, Hedberg is thriving in his backup role. A backup statistically outplaying Brodeur when his starts are extremely limited isn't exactly without precedent.

2002-03
Martin Brodeur - 41-23-9, .914 sv%, 2.02 GAA
Corey Schwab - 5-3-1, .933 sv%, 1.47 GAA

I guess we should rolled with Knuckles instead of Marty in '03, right?

It also happened in '03-04 (with Clemmer and Schwab), '09-10 (Yann Danis) and last year with Moose. Devils backups can thrive when Marty is in workhorse mode.

Moose is playing his best right now in his limited role, yet we all saw how average he could be when he shouldered more of the load earlier in the season. At the same time, we're seeing Brodeur play better the more he works. Why would anyone in their right mind want to sit Marty and work Moose right now?

I'm in the camp that rolls with Marty for the first two games, and if they go badly, give Game 3 to Moose. It's Brodeur's job to lose.

Hahahaha cmon you know very well thats not a legit comparison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users