94 replies to this topic

#61 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Pardon me for being dense, but I fail to see the point. Getting blown out by the Devils disqualifies him even though he's a huge part of the reason why the Pens got that far? And as for the rest of his career, his lack of playoff appearances isn't quite his fault. He was in Pittsburgh two more years and they sucked. Then he turned 30 and was a backup for the rest of his career, most of which was in Atlanta.

However, I believe your overall premise is that Hedberg isn't the guy to lean on in the playoffs. I agree, but it's not a knock on Moose. Even though he's a shadow of his former self, Marty Brodeur is still Marty Brodeur, and as far as I'm concerned, it's his job to lose.

My only point was that he had had playoff experience before. I wasn't making any statements about Hedberg otherwise. NJDevs4978 got what I was going for.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#62 nmm90392

nmm90392

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

I don't get why people keep glorifying Marty right now. He hasn't been playing all that great for the past few weeks. Yeah he's the greatest to play and yeah this is his team but right now looking into the playoffs the team winning is the most important thing and we have to play the hot hand. Moose has been really good in his past few starts so why not give him a chance? The team I feel plays better with him for some reason

Edited by nmm90392, 26 March 2012 - 11:16 AM.

ajq8o1.png

#63 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

LOL at people glorifying Marty just because we recognize he should start the playoffs because of who he is and that we don't believe Hedberg will get two shutouts every three games if he played more. You don't play these games in a vacuum or on a computer. Real human emotions and psychology goes into it.

Besides, if there's anyplace that 'doesn't' glorify Marty, it's this board.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#64 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

And if Moose is in and the team loses in 5, how smart does it look knowing you had your franchise HOF goalie sitting on the bench because Moose played really well recently in his spot starts? I mean, we're calling for Moose in the playoffs based on wins over the Capitals, Islanders, and Senators.

Have we looked at what happened when Moose was starting consistently? Better yet, here's the teams Moose has beaten this year...

Carolina (not in playoffs)
Los Angeles (8th place)
Nashville (4th place)
Philadelphia (5th place)
Washington (8th place)
NY Islanders (not in playoffs)
Ottawa (7th place)
Tampa (not in playoffs)
Dallas (3rd place)
Florida (3rd place)
Edmonton (not in playoffs)

So... 4th place, 5th place, 7th place, two 8 places, 4 non playoff teams, and two 3rd places who would be ranked 7th if not for divisional seeding.

And I say this as a big Moose fan, but he's a back up.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#65 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

CR was just correcting people who said Hedberg had never been in the playoffs before, or hadn't had 'much' playoff experience. He had it, just not recently.

Ah, okay, got it. Like I said, I was a bit dense back there. :doh1:

And it's become obvious Marty needs to sit at least another game before the playoffs (even with no back to backs) since he's given up at least a bad goal a game for a week and surrendered what, 13 goals in his last three? While Hedberg's surrendered one in his last three. Nothing wrong with actually using a useful backup.

I can agree with that. It's still Marty's job to lose, but it wouldn't hurt to rest him again down the stretch.

My only point was that he had had playoff experience before. I wasn't making any statements about Hedberg otherwise. NJDevs4978 got what I was going for.

Right, I saw that. Sorry, I must not have been paying close enough attention. :cheers:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#66 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Didn't read most of the thread, just wanted to weigh in.

Moose has far outplayed Marty this year, and it would be blind loyalty to go with Marty in the playoffs. Some stats (out of 44 goalies that have qualified with 25 GP):

Sv%: Hedberg 18th, Marty 35th (out of 44)
GAA: Hedberg 10th, Marty 22nd
Games over .500: Hedberg 16-7-2 (7 over .500), Marty 26-21-4 (1 over .500)

Moose is 6-1in his last 7 starts, and deserves at least a shot at being the guy in the playoffs.

#67 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Didn't read most of the thread, just wanted to weigh in.

Moose has far outplayed Marty this year, and it would be blind loyalty to go with Marty in the playoffs. Some stats (out of 44 goalies that have qualified with 25 GP):

Sv%: Hedberg 18th, Marty 35th (out of 44)
GAA: Hedberg 10th, Marty 22nd
Games over .500: Hedberg 16-7-2 (7 over .500), Marty 26-21-4 (1 over .500)

Moose is 6-1in his last 7 starts, and deserves at least a shot at being the guy in the playoffs.

That's great, but it ignores the fact that Moose played mostly teams that were low seeds or out of the playoffs.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#68 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

That's great, but it ignores the fact that Moose played mostly teams that were low seeds or out of the playoffs.

SV% isn't really affected by this, though.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#69 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

He beat Philly Ottawa and the Kings(they were good early) twice and Florida once.

IF we play the Panthers I want to see Hedberg in net because Brodeur had major problems with the Versteeg line. Brodeur was 1-2 versus Florida this yr with Versteeg scoring 5 goals against him. But of course this will never happen because Marty will play every playoff gm making this whole thread moot.

I'm more comfortable with Hedberg in net because his positioning is better and even when he does'nt see a shot he will still make the save. Marty played good this year but I am NEVER comfortable when he's playing.

Edited by Zubie#8, 26 March 2012 - 05:29 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#70 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

The 18th best save percentage in hockey doesn't win a series. I'm not saying Marty's been good at all, but we gotta hope we catch lightning in a bottle with Marty. I don't see it happening with Moose. No disrespect, I really like the Moose, but as has been said here, there is a reason he's a backup.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#71 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Our team plays better in front of Moose, at least I believe they do.

#72 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

As do I.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#73 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

SV% isn't really affected by this, though.

Which is why I brought up Schwab, Clemmer, and Danis earlier. They've all posted superior numbers to Brodeur when getting limited starts. I'm not sure which exact factor to point to, but there's something about getting spot duty behind Brodeur that can make unspectacular goalies post otherworldly numbers.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#74 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Not to mention the fact Marty's had a good second half after a horrid first half that dragged his numbers into the abyss. So we're gonna bench him in April based on bad October-mid December play.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 26 March 2012 - 07:53 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#75 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Bottom line: Marty's going to play all playoff games, fatigue rather quickly and we'll either barely beat the Panthers or lose.

#76 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

i wouldnt say he had a pedestrian season. just a bad streak over the last couple of weeks.

The bad streak Marty has hit (losing 10 of his last 14) negates the All-Star surge..
..subsequently, his numbers for the season; 26 wins, 25 losses.. 2 shutouts in 54 games.. 2.50 GAA with a Sv% at around .900 <-- this is the definition of average Mike.

As do I.

..as do most.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#77 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

I get that guys have played better for the Moose, but can they sustain it? Guys realize they have to be better for the backup and bring it for a game or 2, but that takes energy.

Aside from that, everybody brings it to the next level in the playoffs. I see them playing better in front of Marty in the postseason.

Edited by mouse, 26 March 2012 - 08:16 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#78 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

I get that guys have played better for the Moose, but can they sustain it? Guys realize they have to be better for the backup and bring it for a game or 2, but that takes energy.

Aside from that, everybody brings it to the next level in the playoffs. I see them playing better in front of Marty in the postseason.

Did the 09-10 playoffs not happen in your dimension?

We only need a game or two from Hedberg in the playoffs. A game to Marty's every two.

#79 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Which is why I brought up Schwab, Clemmer, and Danis earlier. They've all posted superior numbers to Brodeur when getting limited starts. I'm not sure which exact factor to point to, but there's something about getting spot duty behind Brodeur that can make unspectacular goalies post otherworldly numbers.

There's the fact that they tend to play like 7 games and luck is a huge factor.

True talent wise it's tough to argue that Brodeur is any different from Hedberg at this point, and Hedberg might be a little better. Still, Hedberg is not going to start, so let's not pretend he will.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#80 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Did the 09-10 playoffs not happen in your dimension?

We only need a game or two from Hedberg in the playoffs. A game to Marty's every two.

That was an anomaly. We had a year of hell from around the Olympics til JL took time off, came back, and we got rid of Langs. I'm not willing to use that as an example.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users