129 replies to this topic

#121 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,549 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

14 saves on 17 shots and 0-3 in the shootout is not a good night...granted Marty hasn't been the problem of late, but he needed to be better last night. He wasn't exactly facing Bure, Lafleur, and Bossy in the shootout either

The first goal was unstoppable...but you've got to get either the Steckel goal (bigtime sniper :rolleyes: ) or the Kadri one late in the 2nd.

What you just did was no different than a baseball fan who sees a 3-for-3 night that consists of an infield single, a seeing-eye ground ball single, and a bloop double but focuses only on the 3-for-3 in the box score and says, "Wow, that guy had a great night."

Marty had some good saves in that game...not every game where the goalie has a poor save percentage automatically means the goalie played badly.

As for the shootout...the guy had only given up 3 goals on his first 18 shots this season. Yeah, last night wasn't one of his better shootouts, but he was 6-1 in shootouts this season going into last night, and is 41-21 lifetime. But heaven forbid some fans ever cut the guy just a little slack.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#122 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

I don't understand how anyone can criticize Marty for the shootout last night when he had been excellent all season. Last nights 0 for 3 was bound to happen eventually and just move on from it.

And this comes from someone who has had no problems criticizing Marty in the past.

#123 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

the reason why Steckel doesn't score many goals is because he doesn't often get the puck wide open in the slot.

Yeah, I don't know how the goalie gets blame for that mess. That sequence was a totally pathetic display of defense. Especially since the game was moving at half-speed with those guys out there.

#124 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

The Devils had 9 more shots on goal when he was on the ice 5 on 5. This isn't a problem.

That means nothing if ours dont go in and theirs do.
-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#125 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

It wasn't pretty and in alot of ways mirrored the Devils/Leafs, but the Rangers took care of business in Toronto. What you'd expect from a team battling for the top spot in the conference and league playing a team that's been atrocious for the better part of two months.

Uh, really? The Rangers won in a shootout. The Devils lost in a shootout. The Rangers hardly outshot the Leafs, and I watched a good portion of the game, the Leafs weren't dominated. Unlike last night when the Leafs were dominated pretty much all night besides a 10 minute stretch in the 2nd.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#126 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

Ok I'm sick of all the nonsense going on in this thread. The Devils pin balled the Leafs asses up and down the ice last night. 9/10 times they win that game. OF COURSE the nyr sneak by with a tight win by virtue of the shootout and people come here to bitch.

#127 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

Pro sports on any given day/night, the statistically dominant team does not always win. Shots on goal means nothing when a team can't finish. Domination of play means nothing when no points are shown for it. A team could outshot another team 15-1 in a period and trail. What drives me nuts is people that say "yeah, we lost but we outshot them 40-20". So what? Maybe a majority of those shots were low percentage or harmless from center ice or dumped in on net. How many times have we seen the Devils outshoot/outplay an opponent and lose this season?

Opinions and observations will always vary on sports and that's what makes the debates and the neverending study of games fun. However, sometimes you just have to take it to basics. Not pretty, but a good team (NYR) took care of business against an atrocious team (TOR) in a game they should win in a game they need.

It was a shootout. If the Rangers won 4-1, you might have a point, but they didn't, so you don't. How is losing to Toronto in a shootout any different than beating Toronto in one? Honestly.

FYI: Teams record when outshooting is usually sub .500. That's because when teams trail in a game, they tend to get more shots than the other team. However, the Devils were crushing in shots last night when the game was tied, both in the 1st period before Toronto scored, and in the 3rd period, after the game was knotted up. They should've just set up lawn chairs and set out a nice blanket for the picnic they had in the Leafs zone.

Edited by Triumph, 25 March 2012 - 12:31 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#128 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Kovalchuk sucks right now? He's making a couple of plays here and there but for the most part he either is losing the puck or floating than coming off.

#129 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

It looks to me like he's playing with a bit of an injury. Seems to be avoiding contact many times, but I'm sure he will snap out of it soon enough.

#130 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Kovalchuk sucks right now? He's making a couple of plays here and there but for the most part he either is losing the puck or floating than coming off.

He had more jump against the Leafs and was taking hits and working hard along the boards. I didn't notice anything bad he did on the 3 goals. All three of them came from Marty's left side and Kovy covers the right side of the defensive zone. He's just having a little problem getting things created offensively. Hopefully it will return for the playoffs.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users