Paging Manta!

ThreeCups

please please please can we not turn this into a "Kovy Contract debate" thread?

As far as Manta goes, no one here should be saying anything. FIrst off, so many posters here were down on this team AND said horrible things about Kovy. As someone who fiercely debated Manta many times, I have to say: at least rather than stay safe like others, he boldly stated what he thought. It is NOT fair to say he was negative - the team just wasn't doing what he believed was right and he was giving his honest prediction on what would happen.

And do you know how many people on here have done just that and got flamed or suspended for that?

And do you know how many people on here have done just that and got flamed or suspended for that?

Who got suspended for stating what they thought respectfully? (ie, not violating board policies)

please please please can we not turn this into a "Kovy Contract debate" thread?

As far as Manta goes, no one here should be saying anything. FIrst off, so many posters here were down on this team AND said horrible things about Kovy. As someone who fiercely debated Manta many times, I have to say: at least rather than stay safe like others, he boldly stated what he thought. It is NOT fair to say he was negative - the team just wasn't doing what he believed was right and he was giving his honest prediction on what would happen.

He boldly stated what he thought and that is fine, but he did it so much and in so many threads about various topics that it became beyond redundant and extremely annoying. It seemed as though we couldn't have a conversation about anything without Manta talking about how bad the Devils are going to be for years to come because of Kovalchuk and his contract.

He boldly stated what he thought and that is fine, but he did it so much and in so many threads about various topics that it became beyond redundant and extremely annoying. It seemed as though we couldn't have a conversation about anything without Manta talking about how bad the Devils are going to be for years to come because of Kovalchuk and his contract.

This is true no doubt, but it doesn't change the fact that every time he did it there were posters who agreed with him who just didn't want to start the argument themselves.

Who got suspended for stating what they thought respectfully? (ie, not violating board policies)

yea, no one has.

Edited by ben00rs

I miss his Odin be Praised days - that Manta was awesome. :saddevil:

That version still posts on the football threads :P That's part of what makes this side of him here so annyoing, he at least shows up there when the Ravens win or lose. He still has it in him, he's just become a Randy Quaid in Major League like caricature here.

This...it was never a matter of what he said, it was how often it got parroted.

I really don't know how you turned this into a chance to whine.

Lol this is coming from the guy who in the big Kovy contract thread cried to the mods to have me banned/suspended for posting a joke post about his contract being rejected. A day or so later it was indeed rejected.

Talk about a guy who speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

Lol this is coming from the guy who in the big Kovy contract thread cried to the mods to have me banned/suspended for posting a joke post about his contract being rejected. A day or so later it was indeed rejected.

Talk about a guy who speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

What? Ok that is not quite what happened and I was not the only one to be upset. You were also very new to the boards at the time and what you did was post false info. I can't believe you are still bringing that back. What's funny is that I have said many times I like you as a poster but you always come looking to start with someone. I am actually one of the few posters on this board that doesn't have an issue with you. Honestly, there was no need to turn this thread into something about you - nonetheless you did anyways.

You sir do not have the ability t debate without turning it personal.

Edited by ben00rs

What? Ok that is not quite what happened and I was not the only one to be upset. You were also very new to the boards at the time and what you did was post false info. I can't believe you are still bringing that back. What's funny is that I have said many times I like you as a poster but you always come looking to start with someone. I am actually one of the few posters on this board that doesn't have an issue with you. Honestly, there was no need to turn this thread into something about you - nonetheless you did anyways.

You sir do not have the ability t debate without turning it personal.

Personal is my middle name.

Eh I guess in the end it is petty and long ago and I do not want to steer this towards this crap.

You sir are right and I apologize.

This is why there is an issue. Manta was the leader of the anti-Kovalchuk pact. He blamed the entire first half on the Kovalchuk signing. He made it clear that he thought this franchise was taking a major step backwards that would hurt for them years to come. But the main annoyance was the frequency. He'd be the first to say "told you so" and basically posted more about he topic and on the main boards (always about that) more than anyone posted about the Devils and hockey in general.

Then the Devils started off this year better than many thought. He posted infrequently talking about the PK, Henrique, Parise Elias and anyone who was playing well besides Kovalchuk. Then when the Devils took off and Kovalchuk became one of the best second-half players in the league...he completely disappears from the main boards. We are talking about an original member who has posted often throughout the years.

I never thought someone would rather the team struggle than have his points refuted, but I guess that would be him. Just man up..say you might have been wrong like Jerry and we'll all move on. Or is a successful Devils team with a successful Kovy (5th in scoring) not worth talking about?

Ben sweety rather than wax all big daddy on us - just don't read the thread. The thread is very clearly meant PURELY to annoy. What the hell are you bitching about? Gettin all cranky because we dare to make it hockey relevant. Then defend manta after several already have. Hmehhh whatever... It's a free Internet blab away.

Edited by Pepperkorn

This is why there is an issue. Manta was the leader of the anti-Kovalchuk pact. He blamed the entire first half on the Kovalchuk signing. He made it clear that he thought this franchise was taking a major step backwards that would hurt for them years to come. But the main annoyance was the frequency. He'd be the first to say "told you so" and basically posted more about he topic and on the main boards (always about that) more than anyone posted about the Devils and hockey in general.

Then the Devils started off this year better than many thought. He posted infrequently talking about the PK, Henrique, Parise Elias and anyone who was playing well besides Kovalchuk. Then when the Devils took off and Kovalchuk became one of the best second-half players in the league...he completely disappears from the main boards. We are talking about an original member who has posted often throughout the years.

I never thought someone would rather the team struggle than have his points refuted, but I guess that would be him. Just man up..say you might have been wrong like Jerry and we'll all move on. Or is a successful Devils team with a successful Kovy (5th in scoring) not worth talking about?

The Devils really didn't start off that well if you think about it. They were an inconsistent and shaky 12-12-1 to start the season, with just half those wins coming in regulation. Their goal differential was pretty poor too IIRC.

I'd like to think Manta will come back eventually. We may not all agree on moves that are made (and pretty much everyone who reads my posts knows I was not in favor of bringing Kovy back), but in the end we all wish for one thing for this team: SUCCESS! I'd like to think he'd like to join in on the playoff threads, the buzz of getting back in...it was only one season, but it felt like five...even though I know they may not go far, I for one am excited as hell to care about postseason hockey again. I'd like to think Manta is too, no matter what.

I don't understand why you'd want someone like that to come back to the boards?

Kovy is an elite world class offensive talent. Anyone who fails to see this has zero credibility in any hockey related debate. His contract is brilliant, glad we it done before the new CBA eliminates these types of deals. $6,7M for 5th in scoring in the league on an offensively challenged team like the Devils? He's 4th in points pr game (excluding Crosby with only 16 games). Imagine this guy next to Malkin/Giroux when Neal/Hartnell can put up those numbers?

If Kovys arrival causes Zach to leave (which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever btw, I assume Zach wants talented teammates and a chance to win something), so be it. Kovy is a better player anyway.

I don't understand why you'd want someone like that to come back to the boards?

Good reason? He's been a likeable, classy poster for a long time. He had a blind spot here. The argument's mostly dead. We'd like to see him back because he made lots of other good points. Plus, as benoors said, he had the balls to say how he felt, when others who felt the same way often pulled their punches. Maybe he did it too much, but he took his fair share of sh!t for it.

Bad reason? People would like to gloat because he was wrong.

Either way, the board is interesting because of disagreements. Losing a respected poster because of a disagreement about hockey would suck, even if he went a bit off the deep end with his arguments.

Manta has donated more over the years to this site and provided some other help than most of you in this thread. Not to say that gives him more leeway but coming forth and saying he isn't welcome has absolutely no grounds with me.

Manta has donated more over the years to this site and provided some other help than most of you in this thread. Not to say that gives him more leeway but coming forth and saying he isn't welcome has absolutely no grounds with me.

This backs up what I''ve been saying since Manta has been missing: Manta loves the Devils and loves these boards. And just because the Devils are doing well doesn't mean he knows any less about hockey.

Personal is my middle name.

Eh I guess in the end it is petty and long ago and I do not want to steer this towards this crap.

You sir are right and I apologize.

cheers.gif cool.

Edited by ben00rs

Don't care if he comes back or not, he was the first one to be added to my ever growing ignore list. I'm sick and tired of the negative the world is falling Devils fans. Not saying that we can't ever be critical of the team but some people take it to an absurd level and he is one of them.

Edited by Satans Hockey

What is the over/under on when he reappears? I am saying within 3 days of the Devils elimination from the playoffs/3 hours of the announcement of Zach Parise signing with another team...

Hopefully we win Lord Stanley and Zach resigns! Maybe he will permanently stay away then?