Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

You want to bring Manta back?

Here we go...send out the signals...

Posted Image

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#42 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

I don't understand why you'd want someone like that to come back to the boards?

Kovy is an elite world class offensive talent. Anyone who fails to see this has zero credibility in any hockey related debate. His contract is brilliant, glad we it done before the new CBA eliminates these types of deals. $6,7M for 5th in scoring in the league on an offensively challenged team like the Devils? He's 4th in points pr game (excluding Crosby with only 16 games). Imagine this guy next to Malkin/Giroux when Neal/Hartnell can put up those numbers?

If Kovys arrival causes Zach to leave (which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever btw, I assume Zach wants talented teammates and a chance to win something), so be it. Kovy is a better player anyway.
Posted Image

#43 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Good reason? He's been a likeable, classy poster for a long time. He had a blind spot here. The argument's mostly dead. We'd like to see him back because he made lots of other good points. Plus, as benoors said, he had the balls to say how he felt, when others who felt the same way often pulled their punches. Maybe he did it too much, but he took his fair share of sh!t for it.

Bad reason? People would like to gloat because he was wrong.

Either way, the board is interesting because of disagreements. Losing a respected poster because of a disagreement about hockey would suck, even if he went a bit off the deep end with his arguments.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#44 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Manta's a nice guy and he has a decent sense of humor. It's not easy being in the small minority.
I remember he even apologized once for his negativity.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#45 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Manta has donated more over the years to this site and provided some other help than most of you in this thread. Not to say that gives him more leeway but coming forth and saying he isn't welcome has absolutely no grounds with me.

#46 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

Manta's a nice guy and he has a decent sense of humor. It's not easy being in the small minority.
I remember he even apologized once for his negativity.

Theory: Manta = Carp

#47 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Manta's been a good poster for a long time. It'll be good to see him actively posting in this forum again.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#48 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Manta has donated more over the years to this site and provided some other help than most of you in this thread. Not to say that gives him more leeway but coming forth and saying he isn't welcome has absolutely no grounds with me.

This backs up what I''ve been saying since Manta has been missing: Manta loves the Devils and loves these boards. And just because the Devils are doing well doesn't mean he knows any less about hockey.

Personal is my middle name.

Eh I guess in the end it is petty and long ago and I do not want to steer this towards this crap.

You sir are right and I apologize.

Posted Image cool.

Edited by ben00rs, 02 April 2012 - 09:40 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#49 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,971 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Don't care if he comes back or not, he was the first one to be added to my ever growing ignore list. I'm sick and tired of the negative the world is falling Devils fans. Not saying that we can't ever be critical of the team but some people take it to an absurd level and he is one of them.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 03 April 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#50 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

What is the over/under on when he reappears? I am saying within 3 days of the Devils elimination from the playoffs/3 hours of the announcement of Zach Parise signing with another team...

Hopefully we win Lord Stanley and Zach resigns! Maybe he will permanently stay away then?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#51 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Don't care if he comes back or not, he was the first one to be added to my ever growing ignore list. I'm sick and tired of the negative the world is falling Devils fans. Not saying that we can't ever be critical of the team but some people take it to an absurd level and he is one of them.

Manta will argue back, SH will just put you on ignore.

Who would you rather havea beer with? Manta > Satans Hockey. SH probably would ignore you the whole time. :cheers:

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#52 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'd totally love to have a beer with Manta!

I'm here for the party

#53 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

What is the over/under on when he reappears? I am saying within 3 days of the Devils elimination from the playoffs/3 hours of the announcement of Zach Parise signing with another team...

Hopefully we win Lord Stanley and Zach resigns! Maybe he will permanently stay away then?

He'll be back for Fantasy Football at absolute worst.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#54 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

I enjoyed reading Manta's posts on the subject. I'd be curious as to his thoughts regarding the current team. The jury is still WAYYYYY out on the Kovy contract, despite a few posters' attempts to gloat in this thread about it. But I remember Manta arguing that the Kovalchuk trade was also atrociously bad. I can't see that position being supported by the current evidence with respect to Oduya, Bergfors, and Cormier.

WRT an earlier poster, I'd want him back because message boards are boring without arguments. What's the point of a thread on the kovy contract where everyone is in agreement?
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#55 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

He'll be back for Fantasy Football at absolute worst.

That doesn't count as reappearing in 'this' part of the forum lol...but yeah I don't think he's exactly giving that up. He's still making moves in Fantasy Hockey so he hasn't literally dissapeared or anything.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 04 April 2012 - 03:09 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#56 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I enjoyed reading Manta's posts on the subject. I'd be curious as to his thoughts regarding the current team. The jury is still WAYYYYY out on the Kovy contract, despite a few posters' attempts to gloat in this thread about it. But I remember Manta arguing that the Kovalchuk trade was also atrociously bad. I can't see that position being supported by the current evidence with respect to Oduya, Bergfors, and Cormier.
WRT an earlier poster, I'd want him back because message boards are boring without arguments. What's the point of a thread on the kovy contract where everyone is in agreement?

Yeah, regardless of how the deal turned out, even if Kovy had left as a rental, it was a gamble worth taking for sure. Bergfors' decent half-season or so made him worth his weight in gold to the Devils...he got another team to think they might have a decent prospect coming to them. Hard to believe he's an NHL washout at 25...
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#57 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Manta sounds pretty cool to me.
Getting on a guy because he hated on Kovy?
I don't know the whole story but if you haven't sat back & said 'Kovalchuk sucks' at least 5 times since he's been a Devil you're lying.
He's awesome and I'm happy to have him on my team but he definitely deserves to get bashed sometimes.
Just my two cents.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#58 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

enough
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users