51 replies to this topic

#1 ddubs11

ddubs11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

HOW???? I still think this guy is awful. The one thing I've hated this season has been announcing for the Devils....

#2 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Good for him. I think he's done a good job. He's nowhere near Doc, obviously, but I haven't noticed him, which is the best you can ask for, especially in his first year working full time. His chemistry with Chico has also gotten much better.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#3 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Agreed. He's getting a lot better... he's just gotta put in the time to smooth things out and to create distance between him and Doc.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#4 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

I don't mind him at all really. I wish he would stop with the "sharp angle shot" stuff but other than that it doesn't bother me because he is a lot better than most of the other play-by-play announcers in the league.

Hockey isn't the easiest sport to do either.
Posted Image

#5 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

He won for "On-Camera Talent: Anchor - Sports" and "On-Camera Talent: Sports Play-by-Play".

Good for Cango. He's had a ridiculously tough act to follow, but he's done just fine and will continue to get better as he finds himself as a PBP guy. Congrats!

(Also, not to completely talk down the worth of a NY Emmy, but FWIW Al Twatwig also won one. In fairness, it was for his Knicks work and not his hockey work. For all I know, the giant douche is awesome at covering hoops.)
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#6 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

I like him. I actually prefer him to Doc.

Gary Thorne was the GOAT, IMO.

#7 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Must by sad for howie and big nose, even without doc they cant win and get beaten by a rookie nhl play by play guy. Cangelosi is no doc, and never will be, but hes getting better since the start of this yr

#8 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

I think Cangi is underrated and quite good. He has especially gotten better as the season has gone by and has reduced the number of times he goes to his catch phrases like "sharp angle shot."

Good for him and I look forward to hearing him again for seasons to come.

#9 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

He's gotten much, much better as the year has progressed.

He still has the occasional slip up (player names, call on the ice, etc), but I think it's only especially noticeable because Doc was damn near perfect at his job.

Good for Steve

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#10 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Congrats to him. He's good and getting better. The one thing that still bothers me is that he needs to display more personality and more willingness to go back and forth with Chico. However, even that has been progressing through the year, so here's hoping he continues improving.

#11 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I like him. I actually prefer him to Doc.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

#12 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

I have to agree with most others have said. Cangi has gotten much better as the year has gone on and is a pretty good announcer. Replacing a legend is never easy, and he's done it remarkably well. Congrats to him.

It's also a nice F-U to Sam Rosen.
Posted Image

#13 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Not in Docs league (nobody is) but I've warmed up to him a bit. You can do worse with PBP guys
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I just don't get the Doc love I guess.

At least Cangi sounds like he's from Jersey and he keeps up with the action just as good as Doc did. Plus he doesn't say things like "waffle board".

I don't really see why Cangi gets hate.

#15 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Sharp angle shot.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#16 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

eh, he has his shortcomings, anyone would compared to Doc. He has his catchphrases too ("SCAR!" "sharp-angle shot", etc) but so did Doc. He's done a good job filling in, nobody will ever be a replacement for Doc. Cangy's put in a bunch of enthusiasm into his calling. While he may not match Doc there either, I haven't watched a game where he sounds blah about a game. So haters aside, good for him. :cheers:

Posted Image

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#17 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Not in Docs league (nobody is) but I've warmed up to him a bit. You can do worse with PBP guys

Penguins: the guy always has to have some sort of rhyming catchphrase.
Phailures: ugh, just listen to them, you'll know.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#18 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Doc and Chico both have high pitched voices. Listening to them commentate together was painful sometimes. We need some low end (which is why I was such a big fan of Gary Thorne).

#19 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Doc and Chico both have high pitched voices. Listening to them commentate together was painful sometimes. We need some low end (which is why I was such a big fan of Gary Thorne).

I cannot imagine in what world you think Gary Thorne is a good announcer. I swear if Joe Sakic, Ray Bourque, Patrik Roy or Mario Lemieux ever came to a sudden stop his face would be halfway up their asses.

Doc did have a high pitched voice but he did work on it over the years and it got a lot easier to listen to. You can def hear the difference when you hear him now and from a mid 90's game.

#20 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

I cannot imagine in what world you think Gary Thorne is a good announcer. I swear if Joe Sakic, Ray Bourque, Patrik Roy or Mario Lemieux ever came to a sudden stop his face would be halfway up their asses.

:rofl:
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users