131 replies to this topic

#61 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hate the bad PR this is gonna give us going into the playoffs. Bad vibes...

I dunno about that, '95 worked out well during the whole moving-to-Nashville fiasco, and '03 turned out swell during Marty's dirty laundry divorce issues.

Quick, someone remind me of negative publicity during the 2000 Cup run to finish out the triad.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#62 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I dunno about that, '95 worked out well during the whole moving-to-Nashville fiasco, and '03 turned out swell during Marty's dirty laundry divorce issues.

Quick, someone remind me of negative publicity during the 2000 Cup run to finish out the triad.

Um, firing Robbie Ftorek while leading the Atlantic Division with 8 games left of the season seemed like a bad thing at the time, no?

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#63 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Um, firing Robbie Ftorek while leading the Atlantic Division with 8 games left of the season seemed like a bad thing at the time, no?

That's true. I don't count late-season coach-firing-when-doing-well anymore though, since it didn't work when Lou canned Julien in '07. But, for purposes of the argument, I'll take it!

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#64 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,000 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Besides, this is a non-story by tomorrow...who besides the people here really cares about Cory Booker going on a rant about a court decision that went against him?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#65 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

Ray Chambers. And you don't amass a billion dollar fortune by being stupid.

NO.... who would be stupid enough to take on money to own a non-controling portion of a heavily indebted team that is going to be sold one way or another?

#66 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Not sure if it was negative but I sure got tired of ESPN showing marty's (future ex) wife bouncing in the stands every time something happened in the game...

#67 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

Can these remarks by Booker be interpreted as defamation of character against Vanderbeek, thus resulting in some kind of lawsuit? I'm curious to see how Jeff reacts to these accusations. I mean, what Booker said was really harsh.

Vanderbeek is a public figure... defamation is hard to claim...

Think Sarah Palin
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#68 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

The things that Booker said are shameful.

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#69 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

After all of that vitriol, insults, threats, he then asks Vanderbeek to come back to the table... "most despicable owner ever"

Booker says the city has spent $8M for police to cover the arena. What about the 5% ticket surcharge they added?

#70 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

http://www.myfoxny.c...-owner-20120405

9 minute long piece on this on Fox today.
Posted Image

#71 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

hey, booker sucks

#72 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

http://www.nj.com/ne...slams_devi.html

Ledger article. Seems like they're taking the Devils' side on this one.

Vanderbeek challenged Booker’s statement that the Devils "dragged (the city) through the courts for the last five-and-a-half years."

RELATED COVERAGE:Newark gets short end in Prudential Center revenue share ruling

He noted it was the housing authority that initiated the arbitration after sending a "notice of dispute" in May 2010. But the Booker administration was unaware the agency took that action, according to electronic messages between Booker aides and the Devils, reviewed by The Star-Ledger.

Booker condemned Vanderbeek for going back on a plan to build a 20,000 square-foot recreational center near the arena, which the mayor said Vanderbeek guaranteed when he was first elected.

"He suddenly picks up his papers and walks away like a kid taking his marbles or his basketball," Booker said, recalling the early negotiation.

The lease agreement stipulates the Devils were not required to build the center.

Vanderbeek also cited $346,000 the Devils paid for job training and youth sports, as well as sponsoring a popular youth hockey program.

Booker admitted the "collateral benefit" of what the arena has brought to Newark’s downtown is undeniable. In previous statements, he has said the Courtyard Marriott, which is being built adjacent to the arena, could not have been constructed without the Devils ownership.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#73 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

so i decided to tweet him yesterday

@CoryBooker you need to calm down. JVB has done nothing wrong. IIRC, Sharpe James agreed to deal. Replacing blame. Typical politician.

and he Direct Messaged me this

I appreciate ur thoughts but understand. Jeff made commitments to me AFTER james, he broke promises, he broke his word and let down a city

I agree james signed a bad deal, but jeff represented countless times that he would make it right.

so now contracts are based on promises and word of mouth? if its not in writing then you can't be mad about this suit.

and the thing that got me is that he was tweeting and retweeting everyone else calling JVB a cheat and a swindler, a liar, but he had to PRIVATE message me to disagree. God forbid he undermine James publicly via twitter and lose all those hangover votes. Hes just a sore loser.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#74 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

had everything gone well for vanderbeek, he probably would've followed through on his promise. but instead vanderbeek is low on funds and desperate to sell the team.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#75 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Oh man what a debacle...quite funny he private messaged you back on Twitter

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#76 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

When asked "what future legal actions will you take" Booker said, "I'm appealing Vanderbeeks morality"...... :rofl:

And later he goes on to say that Newark is currently undergoing its greatest growth in 50 years, new hotels, new businesses. Hmm I wonder why these hotels and businesses are popping up, oh yeah the Prudential Center. This guy has his head so far up his you know what.

Edited by Zubie#8, 05 April 2012 - 12:55 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#77 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

had everything gone well for vanderbeek, he probably would've followed through on his promise. but instead vanderbeek is low on funds and desperate to sell the team.

Right. And why would JVB invest in these community projects when there is a large financial case bw him and the City up in the air? Its only been five years and the case has just been resolved recently. Booker is out of control.

Btw I would think that Newark has more than made back its $210 million investment in taxes coming from redevelopment in the area. And they continue to get visibility, promotion out of the arena, in addition to the parking revenue and payroll taxes, etc...The Pru has been great for Newark. Booker even acknoweldged the 'collateral benefits'...but he's fussing about community playgrounds not being built and an arbitration case going against him?

Edited by devlman, 05 April 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#78 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

"He’s sitting pretty in his fancy office waiting for us to write him more checks? Hell no." Booker said. "It is time that we had justice from this building."

I found this quote particularly hysterical.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#79 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

"He’s sitting pretty in his fancy office waiting for us to write him more checks? Hell no." Booker said. "It is time that we had justice from this building."

I found this quote particularly hysterical.

A large portion of the thousands on this board go to Newark and spend money every few days because of that building.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#80 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users