131 replies to this topic

#121 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

I said "sans" MSG, meaning I'm not including MSG. But someone on here a couple of years back said crime around there was higher than the crime around Prudential.

Then show the stats for Flushing compared to Newark.

Also for South Bronx, everyone I know who goes there just goes to the game and then get out ASAP after. No one really lingers there.

#122 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,535 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Then these same suburban families who go to the South Bronx, Flushing and even MSG should feel displeasure going to those places as well.

And sans MSG those places/cities I listed aren't just a little worse than Newark. They are alot worse. Stats don't lie. Bottom line is if you don't like it boycott the arena.

Like I've said every time you bring this up, Yankee Stadium has been in the South Bronx for nearly 90 years. 4 generations of Yankee fans have gone there to see the Yankees. It's where you go to see the Yankees. And yeah, the Yankees had problems drawing in the 80s and early 90s as the team declined both in prestige and as the neighborhood surrounding Yankee Stadium declined. But while the neighborhood around there isn't exactly Beverly Hills even now, I don't feel unsafe there.

I don't think the area surrounding Prudential Center is that bad either - in my experience, there's more panhandlers, but that's about it. Still, it's not the reality, it's the perception, and it will probably take a generation for that to go away.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#123 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Like I've said every time you bring this up, Yankee Stadium has been in the South Bronx for nearly 90 years. 4 generations of Yankee fans have gone there to see the Yankees. It's where you go to see the Yankees. And yeah, the Yankees had problems drawing in the 80s and early 90s as the team declined both in prestige and as the neighborhood surrounding Yankee Stadium declined. But while the neighborhood around there isn't exactly Beverly Hills even now, I don't feel unsafe there.

I don't think the area surrounding Prudential Center is that bad either - in my experience, there's more panhandlers, but that's about it. Still, it's not the reality, it's the perception, and it will probably take a generation for that to go away.

Bingo. Also, i personally think more than a generation, but spot on.
Posted Image

#124 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

I think it's disingenuous to pretend race isn't partially the reason some suburban hockey fans (read: white) are uncomfortable going to Newark.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#125 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

I think it's disingenuous to pretend race isn't partially the reason some suburban hockey fans (read: white) are uncomfortable going to Newark.

This maybe true, but prudential center is one of the safest areas in Newark that I know of. This is especially true during games. Some areas are kind of "bad", if you know what I mean even during the day.

I have seen plenty of GSWs in the hospital that tell me Newark can be a dangerous place.

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#126 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

This maybe true, but prudential center is one of the safest areas in Newark that I know of. This is especially true during games. Some areas are kind of "bad", if you know what I mean even during the day.

I have seen plenty of GSWs in the hospital that tell me Newark can be a dangerous place.

There are always cops everywhere. I've never felt un-safe.

It's off-putting for some (not really myself) to walk through the train-station with probably 50+ homeless people lying around. I'm not knocking the homeless & I don't know what the solution is for this; just making an observation of the environment that puts a lot of people off.

Maybe JVB can open up a homeless shelter!
Posted Image

#127 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

There are always cops everywhere. I've never felt un-safe.

It's off-putting for some (not really myself) to walk through the train-station with probably 50+ homeless people lying around. I'm not knocking the homeless & I don't know what the solution is for this; just making an observation of the environment that puts a lot of people off.

Maybe JVB can open up a homeless shelter!

This entire post is exactly how I feel as well.

#128 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Distinction without a difference. Like saying that it doesn't matter if you blow your bonus in Atlantic City, since it isn't part of your regular salary.

The Rock has also been an unmitigated disaster for Newark. Besides maybe a handful of restaurants and the dumpy souveneir stand in Gateway Plaza, no businesses have been attracted to Neeark as a result. Someone mentioned Panasonic moving to Newark. It didn't relocate because of a sports arena. It got a much lower tax bill from the state to move to Newark.

The arena opened in 2007, and what in 2008/2009?? the real-state bubble burst an with that we gor mini-recession, only now we are seen some sign of recovery, so we can't say yet the Arena was a dissaster for Newark and that no Businesses were attract...

But as someone mentioned before Booker was just unprofessional with his comments, i get Newark is having hard time to balance the budget and 2 years ago or so had let go hundreds of cops to balance the budget . But he has to see that the Devils themselves are in a similar situation and like Newark is figthing for every penny.

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#129 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

LOL, the arbitration is only not binding when they lose. If this is any indication of what Booker's post-newark political career is going to be like, it's not going to last long. He's getting owned without JVB even saying a word, maybe because he actually no longer exists in his position accept for choice appearences. :lol:

"I'm not stepping foot in this building until we're done right by, btw, can you send me some tickets to go see Springsteen?"

Not to mention the years of quiet when he *knew* what the situation was, tried to have it stopped, found out it was airtight, and now afterwards is complaining after it was upheld that it was airtight. And I'm pretty sure he was at the groundbreaking for the hotel he's now complaining about, because it's not a community center, in an area where *no one lives*.

From what I remember of the obligations under the "deal" he struck with the Devils, they met their obligations. And there weren't many of them and they were extremely lame.... because the deal was airtight.

Edited by maxpower, 06 April 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#130 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I thought the community center was supposed to be on the lot across from the practice rink on Lafayette. Anyways yeah, it makes no sense to build a rec center next to the arena in your downtown with the Y straight up on Broad and when Broad St needs gentrification Cory.

Edited by Marv4Life, 06 April 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#131 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

btw, is this his election year or something? I'm pretty ignorant on the politics of Newark, but couldn't this be in play as well?

#132 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

FYI no Newark PD blocking off Mulberry or directing traffic from what I can see
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users