1219 replies to this topic

#761 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

I don't see any indication that it's the Rags year. In fact, I think it's more the Flyers year and we may yet snuff them out! How about it being the Blues and Kings year? Certainly possible

I remember Wings fans talking about how 1995 was definitely their year

Didn't say it is not. My point is the Rangers are better than every team that is left. Of course, that doesnt mean they will win. Flyers are not beating the Rangers if they play next round. Only team in the East that I thought was a bad match-up for the Rangers was the Penguins because for whatever reason Malkin, Crosby, and Staal just know how to score on Lundqvist. Not the case for the Flyers big guns.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#762 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Why? Your team needs to get by Philly. You expect to do that in a short series?

That might be true, but fortunately for the Rangers EVERY remaining team is a cut below them.

I don't think the Blues or Kings are...I don't think the Flyers are either
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#763 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

I don't think the Blues or Kings are...I don't think the Flyers are either

They are not AS big of a cut below as the others, but a cut below none the less.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#764 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Only thing keeping the Rangers from a 3-0 hole is the post at this point. Unbelievable.

#765 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Only thing keeping the Rangers from a 3-0 hole is the post at this point. Unbelievable.

could say the same amount the caps as the rangers hit a few on monday night, but thanks for playing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#766 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

could say the same amount the caps as the rangers hit a few on monday night, but thanks for playing.

Yeah yeah yeah, the hell are you doing here anyway?

#767 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

the classic line when you have no comeback. Besides, been around these parts a lot longer than you.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#768 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

the classic line when you have no comeback. Besides, been around these parts a lot longer than you.

Its good to know that trolls take their experience seriously.

#769 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

And? If they lost last night I doubt you would be puffing your chest here.

#770 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,982 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

If I wanted to hear from Rangers fans I'd go to hf boards. You should take a cue from Derek and go away.

#771 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,573 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Didn't say it is not. My point is the Rangers are better than every team that is left. Of course, that doesnt mean they will win. Flyers are not beating the Rangers if they play next round. Only team in the East that I thought was a bad match-up for the Rangers was the Penguins because for whatever reason Malkin, Crosby, and Staal just know how to score on Lundqvist. Not the case for the Flyers big guns.

They're not. You think struggling with the Capitals and Senators proves they can take on any of the best teams left? If the Kings and Rangers both make it to the Cup Final, the Kings are actually 'a cut above' - they don't spend 2/3rds of the game in their own end trying to block shots.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#772 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

The longer that game went on last night, the more I had a feeling the Caps weren't going to win. Excepting for when Ovi hit the post, they were all gripping their sticks too tight. It was painful to watch. Kudos to the Rangers. They block shots like nobody's business.

#773 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Its good to know that trolls take their experience seriously.

:rofl: I approve of this message!
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#774 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

The rangers have done nothing to impress me this postseason, I don't know where Matteau's confidence comes from.

I will say this, they keep games close with their style. And when games are close anybody can win. But that includes inferior teams like Ottawa and Washington. I would not be surprised to see the Rangers win the cup, but at this point nothing really surprises me. I thought the Blues were the best team in round 1, and now they look like the worst. Who knows what happens when two teams matchup?
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#775 hockey3893498

hockey3893498

Banned Troll

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

They're not. You think struggling with the Capitals and Senators proves they can take on any of the best teams left? If the Kings and Rangers both make it to the Cup Final, the Kings are actually 'a cut above' - they don't spend 2/3rds of the game in their own end trying to block shots.

the sign of a good team is finding a way to win in the playoffs it doesnt matter of you win ugly or pretty. over 16 wins it's going to take ugly games and series. sure the senators gave them all they could handle and were a few calls away from eliminating them. the capitals are giving them all they can handle now but they wont win the series. the capitals wont win the next 3 out of 4 against a team that hasnt shown its capable of such a collapse. the rangers are surviving. theyve done so all year blocking shots, hard forechecking, relying on big pads and the d to jump in the play. theyve also avoided major injuries to key players for long stretches. dubinsky being hurt is actually helping them and losing boyle for a few and hagelin to suspension was an opening for Krieder.

only a skilled offensive team can exploit the rangers. the capitals arent that anymore and they arent reverting back, the penguins are gone and the flyers dont have the goaltending.

the kings? its how you view them. you can view them as an 8th place team and a reason for being so or you can view them as a dangerous 8th place team with alot of skill and size that can grit and grind too. you look at that team on paper and they should go deep.

look the rangers have had it go their way all year. why would anyone think its ending anytime soon?

Edited by hockey3893498, 03 May 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#776 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,573 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

the sign of a good team is finding a way to win in the playoffs it doesnt matter of you win ugly or pretty. over 16 wins it's going to take ugly games and series. sure the senators gave them all they could handle and were a few calls away from eliminating them. the capitals are giving them all they can handle now but they wont win the series. the capitals wont win the next 3 out of 4 against a team that hasnt shown its capable of such a collapse. the rangers are surviving. theyve done so all year blocking shots, hard forechecking, relying on big pads and the d to jump in the play. theyve also avoided major injuries to key players for long stretches. dubinsky being hurt is actually helping them and losing boyle was an opening for Krieder.

only a skilled offensive team can exploit the rangers. the capitals arent that anymore and they arent reverting back, the penguins are gone and the flyers dont have the goaltending.

the kings? its how you view them. you can view them as an 8th place team and a reason for being so or you can view them as a dangerous 8th place team with alot of skill and size that can grit and grind too. you look at that team on paper and they should go deep.

look the rangers have had it go their way all year. why would anyone think its ending anytime soon?

The Rangers could easily lose 3 of 4. Remember, they have to win 2 of the next 4, which is why talk like this is generally silly.

The Rangers have a terrible power play. That's continued into the post-season - their power play does not generate enough shots. With some poor goaltending or shooting luck they can be effective (like say, last night when a shot gets blocked twice and goes right on the stick of the man in front), but that's going to drag them down.

The Bruins won with a terrible power play by shooting the lights out 5 on 5. I don't see the Rangers doing this. The Rangers are, amazingly, only 6 and 4 in the playoffs despite the fact that Lundqvist has been phenomenal. Some of that is bad shooting luck, but that's my point - that's all it takes is having 2 or 3 bad shooting games and I don't care how good Lundqvist is, the Rangers are done. They don't get enough shots to the net to overcome that.

They could very well win the Cup - I'd be amazed, but I was kind of amazed when the Bruins did last year - but they're playing their top players an awful lot, and they're all blocking shots - it's going to be a real, real hard road.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#777 USAkid90

USAkid90

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

I still don't know how they do it for the most part sometimes, but the Rags simply find ways to win games and that's really what counts. Can't call them a fluke at this point and they very well could win the cup *ugh*

Sad thing is they will get better as the years progress, just hope once we beat the Flyers (hopefully) we can beat them next round if they advance..

Edited by USAkid90, 03 May 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#778 USAkid90

USAkid90

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Yeah yeah yeah, the hell are you doing here anyway?

He's right though. Both teams have hit lots of posts and if the Rangers hit theirs in Game 2 they'd be up 3-0.

#779 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

torts will burn out all your best players.

#780 hockey3893498

hockey3893498

Banned Troll

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

The Rangers could easily lose 3 of 4. Remember, they have to win 2 of the next 4, which is why talk like this is generally silly.

i wouldnt bet real $ on the rangers losing a game 7 at home or the capitals winning a best of 3 (going in 2-2) with 2 games at msg. just not happening. add onto that the rangers havent shown signs of collapsing that badly all year.

The Rangers have a terrible power play. That's continued into the post-season - their power play does not generate enough shots. With some poor goaltending or shooting luck they can be effective (like say, last night when a shot gets blocked twice and goes right on the stick of the man in front), but that's going to drag them down.

the Rangers had five power-play goals in the ottawa series and 13 man advantage goals in their last 12 games including the regular season up to the game 7 vs ottawa. their pp saved their season in game 6 of that series. they got a lucky pp goal last night but its may you take it. they had a pp goal in game 2, as well.

The Bruins won with a terrible power play by shooting the lights out 5 on 5. I don't see the Rangers doing this. The Rangers are, amazingly, only 6 and 4 in the playoffs despite the fact that Lundqvist has been phenomenal. Some of that is bad shooting luck, but that's my point - that's all it takes is having 2 or 3 bad shooting games and I don't care how good Lundqvist is, the Rangers are done. They don't get enough shots to the net to overcome that.

They could very well win the Cup - I'd be amazed, but I was kind of amazed when the Bruins did last year - but they're playing their top players an awful lot, and they're all blocking shots - it's going to be a real, real hard road.

i agree they can be exploited but by whom? its just that feeling that its their year no matter what and theyll be the type of team that goes 11 losses and still wins the cup. ugly which is their specialty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users