40 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,864 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

http://blogs.northje...hance_saturday/

Goaltender Martin Brodeur said the plan is still for him to start Saturday and play the full game.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think he'll split the game maybe. I think Marty didn't want one week between starts..I get that.

#3 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I would like to see Larsson out there as well.

#4 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

So what else is new? Marty runs the show.

#5 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Well, it'd be different to see Clarky out

Edited by Legion15, 06 April 2012 - 05:39 PM.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#6 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

I don't buy into the whole "rest" thing. I don't think resting players at the end of the season does anything to revitalize the player for the playoffs. It does however prevent injuries. Anytime during the season when you have something to play for, even it it;s game 82, you should play your best players. Even if it's just to move up a spot.

However, in this case WE cannot change anything with our next game. We are in sixth no matter what. There is no reason any of our top players should play and risk injury.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#7 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Look, one game won't suddenly tire Marty out. If him being tired in the postseason is going to hurt us it won't be because he played the one last regular season game. No big deal, plus he doesn't like not being in a game for awhile.

#8 JustinZ

JustinZ

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

I wanted him to play this game. Otherwise he has a week in between starts, which I don't think is a good thing. He'll still get 3-4 days off before the playoffs.
Posted Image

#9 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, giving him a full week between starts is wayyyyyyy dumber than having him play Saturday. He's at his best when he's got a regular workload, and I think DeBoer did a pretty good job of building him up to this level rather than just throwing him out there 70+ games.

It's not like other recent years - He's gotten better as the year went on and he played more and more regularly, and the early rest means there's less miles on him than usual this time of year.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#10 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

The soonest he'll start after that is Wednesday at 7PM. That's 3 hours+Sunday->Monday->Tuesday->Wednesday = 99 hours of full and complete rest, plenty of time for Get Real to unbunch his giant-sized panties just in time for the playoffs.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#11 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Because MB30 says so.

And For those defending this, he's near 40, not 30. If he gives up softie after softie in round 1 again, do not be surprised. There's no reason why Kovy should be on the ice tomorrow either.

Edited by Marv4Life, 06 April 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#12 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

A week off between starts is just too long, especially when the team is playing well the last couple of games. It's the last game to get everything set for the playoffs.

Keep in mind, with a very possible lock-out next season, unsure finances, and an expired contract, this also could possibly be Marty's last regular season start as a Devil.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#13 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

A week off between starts is just too long, especially when the team is playing well the last couple of games. It's the last game to get everything set for the playoffs.

Keep in mind, with a very possible lock-out next season, unsure finances, and an expired contract, this also could possibly be Marty's last regular season start as a Devil.

Barring a lockout, Marty will be back next season....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#14 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Barring a lockout, Marty will be back next season....

Still a possibility that it could be his last. The NHL and NHLPA are far apart at the moment.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#15 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,205 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Still scarred from Andreychuk 1997...I wish we could just sub in Albany tomorrow
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#16 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Go ahead. I am confident that Hedberg can fill in the role perfectly.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#17 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Still scarred from Andreychuk 1997...I wish we could just sub in Albany tomorrow

Ugh. I forgot about that.

#18 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,756 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Ugh. I forgot about that.

Me too. That sucked.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#19 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,706 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

And For those defending this, he's near 40, not 30. If he gives up softie after softie in round 1 again, do not be surprised. There's no reason why Kovy should be on the ice tomorrow either.

And Marty's started what, 60 games this year compared to the 75+ he started when he was tired in the playoffs? Not to mention one of the years he was particualrly bad in Round 1 (the Tampa series with all the shortside goals) was after he DID sit the final home game of the season and have a week off.

lastone and Risky nailed it in the posts before.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 06 April 2012 - 08:15 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#20 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,706 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Fair point but I don't want to be the Colts or Packers either and just go in the deep freeze with long rests.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users