First Round: The Florida Panthers

Steven M.

Discussion on our first round opponent, the Florida Panthers. How does everyone feel about this one leading into it?

Also, I know I've made my travel intentions clear but is anyone else planning on going to the games at the BAC?

It's on fellow Devils fans! The second season!

Not going to be as big a pushover as we all think...Brodeur will have a shakey series, Elias will have a big series...i see bernier scoring a huge goal somewhere hmmm. We'll prob lose a bad one in OT as usual. All in all Devs in 6

If we can't beat Florida, it's sad. The Devils are a deeper, better hockey team up front, and it's not even close. Florida's D is dangerous though, they bring more offense from the back end than our D. Not that it'll be easy, but I expect them to win this series. Devils in 6.

Dunno if it means anything, but Scottie Upshall just tweeted:

@ScottieUpshall

Now that tonight was fun! But only the beginning. Panther fans, u deserve playoff hockey and it's finally here! C u all Thursday!

So if he knows something we don't, looks like our series may start on Thursday, not Wednesday. Which makes our home games wonky, since the building's in use next Monday for a Nets game.

Dunno if it means anything, but Scottie Upshall just tweeted:

@ScottieUpshall

So if he knows something we don't, looks like our series may start on Thursday, not Wednesday. Which makes our home games wonky, since the building's in use next Monday for a Nets game.

I hope he's wrong, I don't wanna wait til Thursday for game 1. And I don't wanna wait til Tuesday for game 3. fvcking stupid Nets. Move already.

Edited by MadDog2020

I hope he's wrong, I don't wanna wait til Thursday for game 1. And I don't wanna wait til Tuesday for game 3. fvcking stupid Nets. Move already.

Thursday works better for me, I can't skip class again Wednesday night after skipping it this week, hah.

Both arenas have pretty open schedules for the next few weeks, so there's few hints there.

Booked dates:

NJ - 4/16, 18, 23 - Nets games

Florida - 4/20 - Rammstein concert

I'm guessing if Upshall does know something we don't, the series is:

Thursday April 12th in Florida

Saturday April 14th in Florida

Tuesday April 17th in NJ

Thursday April 19th in NJ

Saturday April 21st in Florida

Tuesday April 24th in NJ

Thursday April 26th in Florida

***DISCLAIMER: THIS IS JUST ME GUESSING. DON'T BE STUPID AND TAKE IT FOR FACT. THANK YOU.***

Edited by thelastonealive

Bring on the one-line wonders.

I'm certainly not an expert on the Panthers, but I feel like there are two things (and pretty much only two things) the Devils need to do to win:

1. Shut down whatever line that long-haired a$$hole Versteeg is on (I imagine he'll probably be on with Fleischmann and/or Weiss). Because that's the only dangerous line the Panthers will have in the series, imo

2. Prevent Garrison from getting any big shots through.

Also, if you just call them wins and losses (none of this "NHL .500" jazz), the team records are as follows:

Panthers - 38-44

Devils - 48-34

Actually, if you take out the shootouts and only show records from regulation/OT wins and losses, it's quite different:

Florida 32-33 (plus 17 "ties" for shootouts)

Devils 36-30 (plus 16 "ties" for shootouts)

Bring on the one-line wonders.

I'm certainly not an expert on the Panthers, but I feel like there are two things (and pretty much only two things) the Devils need to do to win:

1. Shut down whatever line that long-haired a$$hole Versteeg is on (I imagine he'll probably be on with Fleischmann and/or Weiss). Because that's the only dangerous line the Panthers will have in the series, imo

2. Prevent Garrison from getting any big shots through.

3. Score early and often on Clemmensen and don't let him become a factor.

Probably the only possible matchup where we know the NHL wants us to win.. Bad calls will still be blamed on NHL wanting a small market team to go all the way (standard protocol) but I really think we have league support on this one, and that's all that matters in the playoffs

Actually, if you take out the shootouts and only show records from regulation/OT wins and losses, it's quite different:

Florida 32-33 (plus 17 "ties" for shootouts)

Devils 36-30 (plus 16 "ties" for shootouts)

Well, yeah. I'm lumping all losses together though for the effect. I feel like it's too easy to look at a team's record when they're 38-26-18 and say "ah, not bad" when in reality, they've lost more games than they've won. "NHL .500" drives me nuts that way - a team that's well below actual .500 can still be a good team record-wise at first glance.

You guys keep saying Clemmensen, but nobody has confirmed he will start over Theodore. It's possible that we'll see Clemmensen given Clemmensen's strong record against the Devils, but Theodore is their official starting goalie until the Panthers say otherwise.

Probably the only possible matchup where we know the NHL wants us to win.. Bad calls will still be blamed on NHL wanting a small market team to go all the way (standard protocol) but I really think we have league support on this one, and that's all that matters in the playoffs

You're crazy. Winning one round is so huge for small market teams. Look what it did for Nashville last year. They were close to capacity every night this season. A series win for Florida is huge for season tickets, huge for sponsorship, etc. A series win for NJ has proved in the past to mean nothing much.

Edited by devilsrule33

There is no little opponents, I think that we've got to look at them the same way we would look at any other team.

- Go there, play hard, win a game in their building.

- Make sure that we don't lose a game at home.

Edited by SS-SS

How ironic that Deboer could never make it to the playoffs in florida and now hes making the playoffs for the first time with s other team... AGAINST the panthers

Not that ironic...DeBoer had a lot more talent to work with here. That being said, I think DeBoer had an excellent year coaching-wise. There's no way, especially with injures factored in, that this team should've been better than 102 points. The Devils' almost creepy prowess in the shootout clearly helped to bloat their record, but DeBoer got the most out of his team, and after a slow start to boot (12-12-1 to start, 36-16-5 since).

As for the series, I think it will be similar to the Tampa series...some tense moments, wouldn't surprise me if the Devils trail 1-0 or 2-1, but the Devils will pull it out. Good news is I don't think the Panthers will overwhelm the Devils the way other some playoff teams can. Devs in 6.