20 replies to this topic

#1 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Are we hiding all the Cups and Cup banners??

It has always been tradition...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#2 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

I was wondering this myself the other day.

I'm pretty much always compliant, but I feel like there's a lot of new people here since the last time we followed this tradition (I honestly don't remember doing it in '10 - were we that pessimistic that we'd be murdered in the first round?)

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#3 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Care to explain?

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#4 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Traditionally, when the playoffs begin, all members of the board remove all Stanley Cup images/banners from their avatars and sigs, either by changing it to something different or creative Photoshopping (Maddog2020, for example, has replaced the Cup in his avatar with a Starbucks cup in the past).

It's a superstition thing, but I think it's kinda fun personally.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#5 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Traditionally, when the playoffs begin, all members of the board remove all Stanley Cup images/banners from their avatars and sigs, either by changing it to something different or creative Photoshopping (Maddog2020, for example, has replaced the Cup in his avatar with a Starbucks cup in the past).

It's a superstition thing, but I think it's kinda fun personally.

Actually that wasn't me- I remember someone doing that, but I can't remember who it was. I noticed Sundstrom still has the 2000 Cup ring as his avatar, does that count too, or just strictly Cup images? I was gonna suggest Sundstrom change out his avatar as well. :P
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#6 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Ah ok. I agree on both levels of being superstitious as well as just it being funny/fun.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#7 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Actually that wasn't me- I remember someone doing that, but I can't remember who it was. I noticed Sundstrom still has the 2000 Cup ring as his avatar, does that count too, or just strictly Cup images? I was gonna suggest Sundstrom change out his avatar as well. :P

Oh wow, I coulda swore that was you. Oh well, hopefully whoever it was does it again this year - always cracks me up.

#8 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Oh wow, I coulda swore that was you. Oh well, hopefully whoever it was does it again this year - always cracks me up.

Actually, I think it was mouse. From what I can remember, it was a Starbucks cup photoshopped into the pic of Madden holding up the Cup in 2003.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#9 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Actually, I think it was mouse. From what I can remember, it was a Starbucks cup photoshopped into the pic of Madden holding up the Cup in 2003.

That must have been it. I knew it was Madden and assumed that it was you based on the name, hah.

#10 chaos212

chaos212

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Does this include the Stanley Cup image the Devils are using as their profile picture on facebook?

Posted Image

and where the hell is the Devil's "..because its the cup" commercial ad?

#11 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Does this include the Stanley Cup image the Devils are using as their profile picture on facebook?

Posted Image

Oh, this isn't something the Devils do. It's something we do here on the boards. However, if someone here were to use that as their avatar or signature here, they may be asked to change it.

Back when the Canes had their AHL affiliate in Albany, I used to visit one of the Canes fan boards occasionally. Their Cup superstition is even stronger; you can't mention the Cup without getting jumped on. When posters there want to reference the Cup, they usually substitute "silver shiny thing" or something to that effect. With that in mind, I have replaced the text mention of the Cup in my signature with "silver shiny thing". :evil:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#12 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Oh, this isn't something the Devils do. It's something we do here on the boards. However, if someone here were to use that as their avatar or signature here, they may be asked to change it.

Back when the Canes had their AHL affiliate in Albany, I used to visit one of the Canes fan boards occasionally. Their Cup superstition is even stronger; you can't mention the Cup without getting jumped on. When posters there want to reference the Cup, they usually substitute "silver shiny thing" or something to that effect. With that in mind, I have replaced the text mention of the Cup in my signature with "silver shiny thing". :evil:

That seems very excessive, and I hope no one jumps on anyone for making their own choice. This tradition has gone on during so many brutal playoff losses (basically everything from 2004-2009). With the main NHL tradition (no shaving), our very own goalie has never taken part of it along with a Game 6 OT Stanley Cup winning scorer among others.

Edited by devilsrule33, 08 April 2012 - 08:50 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#13 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,713 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Your avatar is brilliant though, it always symbolizes a Cup win but you don't ever have to change it cause it doesn't actually have the Cup in it :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#14 chaos212

chaos212

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

That is a bit much

#15 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

somebody remind Al Trautwig that the rags lost the president's trophy because of that BRUTAL call

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 09 April 2012 - 07:17 AM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#16 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

I have changed my photo to balance out any cup images.
Posted Image

#17 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

I take the Steven's '03 route...

I'm not going to add a Stanley Cup to my avatar or signature just because... but I think it's silly to hide them.

We know what we are playing for. We're playing for the cup.
If we win the Prince of Wales trophy... I'll celebrate it, but I won't be satisfied.

No victory, is victory - until we lift the cup!
No need to bury any images/mention of it, we know why we are here.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#18 chaos212

chaos212

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

and where the hell is the Devil's "..because its the cup" commercial ad?

#19 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

this is unheard of! they put a clip in of greene hitting KING CROSBY!

hallelujah! hallelujah!

#20 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

since i started here, that's been my avatar - including through 02-03. i only change it at xmas to put the santa hat on it. sorry charlie, it's not changing.

trust me, i have about a dozen other superstitions that should cover us...

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users