24 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Just for reference, here's the Devils year-by-year shootout totals, and where they ranked:

'05-'06 9-4, 40.0 shooting% (8th), .733 save% (5th)
'06-'07 10-8, 40.3 shooting% (6th), .652 save% (14th)
'07-'08 8-4, 35.7 shooting% (12th), .744 save% (4th)
'08-'09 6-2, 48.0 shooting% (2nd), .714 save% (9th)
'09-'10 6-5, 37.5 shooting% (8th), .647 save% (22nd)
'10-'11 3-2, 31.6 shooting% (13th), .750 save% (11th)
'11-'12 12-4, 57.1 shooting% (1st), .696 save% (8th)

TOTALS: 54-29, 42.3 shooting% (1st), .699 save% (8th)

Interesting that the Devils lead the shooting% category all-time, when they've only led that for one season.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Ties just leave you unfulfilled. Shootouts are used in the Olympics. Honestly if the shootout was first around when most of the people watching hockey started then it would just be thought of as part of the game. Sure its not perfect but again I'll let the Simpsons say what most people think about ties

"Man 1: What the heck is a tie game?
Man 2: Tie game?
Woman 1: What the hell?
Woman 2: This is outrageous!
Marge: Oh, I've never been so proud of them.
Homer: [weeping] They're both losers. Losers!
Abe: Rip-off!
Hans: We paid for blood!
Wiggum: Let's tear this place apart!
Abe: Good idea!"

Props for the Simpsons reference. Now here is your turtle back. Alive and well.

#23 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

The real issue is that more than 20% of NHL games continue to end regulation tied. Heck it might be closer to 25%. None of the other 3 big sports (NFL, MLB, NBA) has such a high percentage.
The OT rule in 1983 & the Shootout rule in 2005 were both created in response to this unusual percentage of tied games.
Neither technique has addressed the actual issue of simply too many games ending regulation time in ties.

the next step may be to go to the 3-2-1 points system, once again to try and incentify winning in regulation....will it work ?
I'd like to see it, but it's unknown if this would actually address the issue. I think it is worth a try.
here's a website that shows the impact on standings

although this website's standings effect is in hindsight, and it can't measure what the real effect would be as teams in need of points may play differently later in games.

IMO, we've already seen the 4-on-4 OT lose it's designed purpose of being wide open because you've already secured a point...the goal remains the same...prevent the other team from getting a 2nd point !
The only other recent non-radial idea worth trying is that since most games that end regulation tied also result in the shootout....to shave the entire ice after regulation (instead of after OT) so the OT has a better ice surface for its 5 minutes.
Perhaps then they might even be able to extend OT to 10-minutes, but the NHLPA will likely poo-poo that idea because players could end up playing 16% (10/60) more without any compensation & more chance of injury...so this 10 minutes is probalby never going to happen...

Somehow, someone has got to figure out how to reduce the number of NHL games that end regulation tied. so far no idea has done the trick.
Suggestions ?

#24 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Somehow, someone has got to figure out how to reduce the number of NHL games that end regulation tied. so far no idea has done the trick.
Suggestions ?

do it like soccer. No OT, 1 point for a tie, 3 points for a win

#25 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

The real issue is that more than 20% of NHL games continue to end regulation tied. Heck it might be closer to 25%. None of the other 3 big sports (NFL, MLB, NBA) has such a high percentage.
The OT rule in 1983 & the Shootout rule in 2005 were both created in response to this unusual percentage of tied games.
Neither technique has addressed the actual issue of simply too many games ending regulation time in ties.

the next step may be to go to the 3-2-1 points system, once again to try and incentify winning in regulation....will it work ?
I'd like to see it, but it's unknown if this would actually address the issue. I think it is worth a try.
here's a website that shows the impact on standings

although this website's standings effect is in hindsight, and it can't measure what the real effect would be as teams in need of points may play differently later in games.

IMO, we've already seen the 4-on-4 OT lose it's designed purpose of being wide open because you've already secured a point...the goal remains the same...prevent the other team from getting a 2nd point !
The only other recent non-radial idea worth trying is that since most games that end regulation tied also result in the shootout....to shave the entire ice after regulation (instead of after OT) so the OT has a better ice surface for its 5 minutes.
Perhaps then they might even be able to extend OT to 10-minutes, but the NHLPA will likely poo-poo that idea because players could end up playing 16% (10/60) more without any compensation & more chance of injury...so this 10 minutes is probalby never going to happen...

Suggestions ?

It won't happen, but I think 3 points for a regulation win would help...then 2 points for OT or shootout wins, and 1 point for OT or SO losses. If there's three points up for grabs to be divied up between the two teams in OT and shootouts, then three points should be available for a regulation win.

This is what doesn't make sense to me...in any given game:

Regulation win (2 points) + regulation loss (0) points = 2 points
OT or SO win (2 points) + OT or SO loss (1) point = 3 points

This really makes no sense if you think about it...games that go to OT or SO have more weight in a way.

Will awarding three points to a potential regulation victor affect the number of games that end up tied after 60 or 65 minutes? Maybe not, but at least there's more of an importance put on regulation wins.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users