Photo

Why don't Devils get more national attention?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 socbrian

socbrian

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Who the fvck cares, to be honest? I like flying under the radar. That's what this franchise is all about.

New Jersey: Where the weak are killed and eaten.

Well said

#42 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Did anyone else see on NHL Tonight last night when they were discussing the first-round matchup between the Devils and Panthers, Kelly Chase mentioned how even though Kovy had such a great season, he was "under the radar" and "He was given as much attention as a white crayon," LOL.

#43 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Did anyone else see on NHL Tonight last night when they were discussing the first-round matchup between the Devils and Panthers, Kelly Chase mentioned how even though Kovy had such a great season, he was "under the radar" and "He was given as much attention as a white crayon," LOL.

He is absolutely correct in his analysis. Kovy was top 10 in goals and points, improved his play on the defensive side of the ice, and generally was the best player on a team with 102 points and yet nobody talks about him (just the way Lou likes it).
Posted Image

#44 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

He is absolutely correct in his analysis. Kovy was top 10 in goals and points, improved his play on the defensive side of the ice, and generally was the best player on a team with 102 points and yet nobody talks about him (just the way Lou likes it).

Had to double check this ... Kovy finished with 83 points this year. The Devils have actually never had a player reach 100 points in a season.

The point stands though. He's been great this season.

Edit: I'm an idiot ... you meant the team had 102 points, not Kovy. Nevermind. :doh1:

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 10 April 2012 - 03:35 PM.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#45 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Not only top 10 in points but top 5 in points! Lol "a white crayon" that is brilliant. :giggle:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#46 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

To be fair, Kovy was less exciting to watch. I'd rather have this responsible, reliable Kovy than the one who played for a crap Thrashers team, but he was good for more highlight reel plays with ATL.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

To be fair, Kovy was less exciting to watch. I'd rather have this responsible, reliable Kovy than the one who played for a crap Thrashers team, but he was good for more highlight reel plays with ATL.

No one was watching him in Atlanta, either. Kovalchuk needs to have a big playoffs to get his name back into the discussion of top forwards in the NHL.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#48 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

No one was watching him in Atlanta, either. Kovalchuk needs to have a big playoffs to get his name back into the discussion of top forwards in the NHL.

Surprisingly he is garnering a lot of attention in Canada on TSN this season. If NJ were to have a big playoffs I think they would be much more attractive to the national market. A fast paced team with recognizable names. They are starting to shed the robot like mantra from the 90's and 00's.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 10 April 2012 - 09:37 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#49 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Surprisingly he is garnering a lot of attention in Canada on TSN this season. If NJ were to have a big playoffs I think they would be much more attractive to the national market. A fast paced team with recognizable names. They are starting to shed the robot like mantra from the 90's and 00's.

It's all geography that determines how much attention you get in the US (Canada is different in that respect).

As we all know the excuse for ignoring the Devils was that they were defensive and "boring". Yet the Rangers this year are just as challenged offensively and even moreso than any of those Devils teams, but this year's Rangers are "crafty."
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#50 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

No one really cared when Kovy was in Atlanta to be honest. No one was marking any Thrasher games on the calendar. Other teams gave Kovy a lot of space knowing that whether he scored or not, the rest of the team was easy to stop.

Now, he's learned to be defensively responsible... and is arguably more effective as a player now than when he was in Atlanta. Other teams are paying a lot of attention to him because he does such a good job getting his teammates points, he's very dangerous.

In the last quarter of the season, he really scaled back on the celebrations and intensity it seemed... I hope he was re-filling the tank for the playoffs. Call me crazy but I was actually trying to look and make sure he was smiling after he scored goals to make sure nothing was wrong lol.

#51 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

I just mentioned it in another thread but kovy has the talent to take over the entire playoffs. I would be thrilled if he played with the fire that I know he has in him

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#52 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

When I go out of state, I proudly tell people I'm from New Jersey. And if they give me a look, I tell them to go fvck themselves, because I'm from New Jersey.

Words cannot express how much I enjoyed reading this.

I thank thee, kind sir.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#53 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Words cannot express how much I enjoyed reading this.

I thank thee, kind sir.

+1

Brilliant!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#54 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Great, I got all excited thinking I'd be watching the Devils on tv in Ohio on Fri. Of course Time Warner gives me NBA and MLB Network for free, but NHL Network is part of some exclusive sports package. Even thought when I first moved in in October, NHL Network worked fine.
Posted Image Posted Image

#55 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Great, I got all excited thinking I'd be watching the Devils on tv in Ohio on Fri. Of course Time Warner gives me NBA and MLB Network for free, but NHL Network is part of some exclusive sports package. Even thought when I first moved in in October, NHL Network worked fine.

NHL Center Ice is typically available like the first week of the season as a promotion then it gets blocked.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#56 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,933 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Its like 5 bucks a month, you can order it and then cancel it when the playoffs are over or whenever you stop watching it.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 11 April 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#57 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

NHL Center Ice is typically available like the first week of the season as a promotion then it gets blocked.

This wasnt center ice. This was the NHL Network channel. Time Warner moved it to a sports package. MLB and NBA are on the standard package, but NHL is grouped with the Speed2 channel, Fox Soccer 2, and a few others.

Edited by mmajeski06, 12 April 2012 - 12:28 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users