118 replies to this topic

#21 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

If the Devils aren't paying for security then where is that surcharge on every ticket sold at the Rock going? Ostensibly it was for security lol.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#22 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Didn't the Devils or JVB recently imply that the rec center is the practice rink at the Prudential Center?

I dont think I've heard JVB say that. He has said that they do hold activities now and then (like youth hockey) at the practice rink.

#23 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Didn't the Devils or JVB recently imply that the rec center is the practice rink at the Prudential Center?

I coulda swore I read that too, but can't seem to find it. Here's what I could find:

Star-Ledger

Booker condemned Vanderbeek for going back on a plan to build a 20,000 square-foot recreational center near the arena, which the mayor said Vanderbeek guaranteed when he was first elected.

The lease agreement stipulates the Devils were not required to build the center. But a separate redevelopment agreement does stipulate that the Devils build a "community project.”

Vanderbeek also cited $346,000 the Devils paid for job training and youth sports, as well as sponsoring a popular youth hockey program.

Bergen Record

The New Jersey Devils are challenging Newark Mayor Cory Booker's recent criticism of the team.

Booker ripped team owner Jeff Vanderbeek on Wednesday for what the mayor said was reneging on promises, including a promise to build a community center on the Prudential Arena site.

But the Devils produced a letter signed by the Newark Housing Authority chief in 2007 that says the team wouldn't be required to build the center. The site is now occupied by a Marriott Hotel.

EDIT: Found it!

Bergen Record

A 2007 letter signed by Vanderbeek and Newark Housing Authority head Keith Kinnard said that Devils Renaissance Development, the team's development arm, "shall not be required to construct a separate, free-standing community center; rather, DRD shall only be required to incorporate and conduct community programs in the 'second sheet of ice' that will be constructed as part of the Arena Project."

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 10 April 2012 - 10:46 AM.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#24 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

I coulda swore I read that too, but can't seem to find it. Here's what I could find:

Star-Ledger

Bergen Record

EDIT: Found it!

Bergen Record

Haha well JVB certainly fulfilled his promise then.

#25 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,290 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

I am SO tired of hearing that mayor whine. What exactly has HE done to make Newark safer/better/more welcoming? almost jack. He spends more time blaming everyone else for Newark's problems instead of fixing them himself. A single building's worth of revenue or a single sports team should not be the deciding factor on whether a city can prosper or not. He is trying to put all his eggs in one basket and thought the arena and the Devils were going to be a cash cow for the city.

Edit: so considering, everyone thinks what was said before was"racist" although I can't see what about it isn't something a lot of people experience when in Newark, in the sake of keeping civil here and not joining the ranks of the "hated ones" on here I'll retract that statement. It's not worth getting into racial conversations on here over this issue. There was no racial intent, but it is really hard to argue a point these days when race is a major part of it and that is considered taboo. I wasn't meaning to imply everyone in the area is in that way, but in the spirit of keeping that to a minimum on here, I respectfully retract my statements.

Who gives a sh!t what others think, don't let the PC police bother you. What you said has a lot of truth behind it and some people have a hard time accepting that some of what you said is very true.

The last 2 out of 3 home games this year I was asked for money several times and was told some stupid story that I had to ignore and walk right on by. I'm sure there are some people that don't appreciate bringing their kids to a game and have to be annoyed by people asking for money.

Cory Booker has done jack sh!t to improve Newark and other then a hotel/few restaurants right around the arena, the city of Newark is still a big sh!t hole that most people should avoid.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 10 April 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#26 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Who gives a sh!t what others think, don't let the PC police bother you. What you said has a lot of truth behind it and some people have a hard time accepting that some of what you said is very true.

The last 2 out of 3 home games this year I was asked for money several times and was told some stupid story that I had to ignore and walk right on by. I'm sure there are some people that don't appreciate bringing their kids to a game and have to be annoyed by people asking for money.

Cory Booker has done jack sh!t to improve Newark and other then a hotel/few restaurants right around the arena, the city of Newark is still a big sh!t hole that most people should avoid.

If I go alone, or get separated from my group before or after the game, then I am pretty much guaranteed to get asked for money at least once by a homeless person. I am not talking about some guy laying there asking for change, but approaching me and giving me some story.

For me it is just awkward but I kindly say no as best as I can and then just move on. I have only been to the point of where I felt harassed only about once or twice ever, but really it is no big deal. However, I can see how many people would be put off by it so overall I do agree with you.

#27 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

And the Ironbound, and most of North Newark, and Upper Vailsburg, etc.

Go to Philly, Baltimore, DC, Detroit etc. for games and come back to me about too many bums. I've dealt with that crap in a couple of those places too, as well as families. Don't like it? Send a message and Boycott.

Edited by Marv4Life, 10 April 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#28 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

Go to Philly, DC, Detroit etc. for games and come back to me about too many bums. I've dealt with that crap in a couple of those places too, as well as families. Don't like it? Send a message and Boycott.

Well Ironbound was always pretty decent compared to the rest of Newark.

However if all of your posts in defending Newark are just comparing them to the worst areas of certain cities or cities with historically high crime, then you are not exactly making favorable comparisons by any means. Just because it is less of a sh!thole than another sh!thole doesn't make it any better.

#29 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,290 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Go to Philly, Baltimore, DC, Detroit etc. for games and come back to me about too many bums. I've dealt with that crap in a couple of those places too, as well as families. Don't like it? Send a message and Boycott.

So because Newark has less bums then other cities it's ok? :rolleyes:

It doesn't bother me as I just ignore them and keep walking but like I said I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like it and it shows that loud mouth Cory Booker has done jack sh!t to improve anything in this city.

And the Ironbound is one of the better areas because the Portuguese try to keep it that way.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 10 April 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#30 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

My point is I go to these teams' message boards featuring teams from those cities I mentioned and I rarely hear fans constantly whining about bums, crime, QOL, etc around the places they play like they do here or Devils' forums elsewhere.

Again, don't like it, boycott. Or tell a police officer the next time you go like I do when I'm at Penn Station. Or hit Mayor Booker on Facebook and Twitter and share your grievances. Usually he's responsive when it comes to these matters. I hear the NPD has a Twitter account.

#31 hockey3893498

hockey3893498

Banned Troll

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I've been a STH for three seasons now and take the train every game. Not once from Penn Station through Gateway and around any area around the building have I ever felt uneasy or pestered by anyone.

I've gone myself or with family and its been the same. We take in the enjoyment and don't worry what others do.

Ill say it again this time on a message board. Its the suburbanites who live in their little bedroom community "shell". NJ is full of upper middle class white families who are ridiculously ignorant and afraid of their own shadows.

#32 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Ill say it again this time on a message board. Its the suburbanites who live in their little bedroom community "shell". NJ is full of upper middle class white families who are ridiculously ignorant and afraid of their own shadows.

Yep. Especially the sheltered Bergenites. But nobody will admit that.

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

There are a lot more panhandlers around Broad Street than Newark Penn or the Gateway. Mainly due to having far less of a police presence there.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 10 April 2012 - 11:32 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#34 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

There are a lot more panhandlers around Broad Street than Newark Penn or the Gateway. Mainly due to having far less of a police presence there.

I got hit up at Championship plaza during fan fest at the last game.

It is highly unlikely that someone will get mugged around the Rock, but it still is not the most pleasant area.

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

So because Newark has less bums then other cities it's ok? :rolleyes:

It doesn't bother me as I just ignore them and keep walking but like I said I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like it and it shows that loud mouth Cory Booker has done jack sh!t to improve anything in this city.

And the Ironbound is one of the better areas because the Portuguese try to keep it that way.

I'm sorry but when did 'getting rid of bums' become a mayor's mandate? New York is not free of homeless people hassling people on subway trains, or panhandlers outside of grocery stores/convenience stores, or the like. It's just an accepted part of living in the city.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,290 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm sorry but when did 'getting rid of bums' become a mayor's mandate? New York is not free of homeless people hassling people on subway trains, or panhandlers outside of grocery stores/convenience stores, or the like. It's just an accepted part of living in the city.

You're right and I agree but Cory still hasn't done a single thing to improve this sh!t hole of a city.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 10 April 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#37 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

part of it is the continental was such a special place for fans

the other part is politicians in other cities generally dont activly bad mouth the home team.
Posted Image

#38 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

You're right and I agree but Cory still hasn't done a single thing to improve this sh!t hole of a city.

As already posted: http://en.wikipedia...._administration
So he's done something, just not to your liking.

#39 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

The homeless thing again? Every city has homeless people, and they aren't just in the "bad" areas. I've never seen more than when I was in San Antonio a few years back to see the Alamo and the Riverwalk. MSG is surrounded by them and a ton of them are whacked out on crack. The Vegas Strip, the French Quarter in New Orleans, Beale Street in Memphis ... all their cities' crown jewels of tourism, and all crawling with homeless people. Hell, a co-worker of mine just came back from Honolulu and said he's never seen more homeless people in his entire life. Honolulu!

Homeless people are in every city. We now have an arena in a city. Either deal with it, or take the Gateway.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#40 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,290 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Also, anyone else notice the new parking meters the city rolled out in the last 2 home games? They now have an event parking fee of 15 bucks to part on the street on broad right near the arena. Makes me wonder if they are going to keep adding these things to all the spots near the arena.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 10 April 2012 - 11:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users