118 replies to this topic

#61 dmon2010

dmon2010

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

The only thing that bothers me about having less police at the Rock is crossing the street, which can really be dangerous with less of the NPD presence. I wouldn't worry about getting robbed or mugged. That's highly unlikely.

You know, the way Booker whines you'd think he plays for the Penguins...

#62 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Just read NJ.com next time something pro-Newark gets written.. You'll vomit from the "I don't go to Newark because I'll get shot or my children will be kidnapped and raped" comments

Just read nj.com comments in general and you will lose your faith in humanity. The most vile, cynical, bigoted stuff.

Posted Image

Haha! Huckstering like a boss!

Edited by devlman, 10 April 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#63 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Mulberry Street closed during events at the arena due to concerns about a possible terrorist attack because the Department of Homeland security and/or the Newark PD determined that the arena was built too close to the street and therefore presented a security risk from a possible car/truck bomb. I remember reading something about it before the arena opened in 2007 and, if that is true, I don't see what has changed in the past 5 years that would warrant the removal of the officers and re-opening of Mulberry unless the building was secretly picked up and moved back a few hundred feet without anyone noticing.
Posted Image

#64 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Mulberry Street closed during events at the arena due to concerns about a possible terrorist attack because the Department of Homeland security and/or the Newark PD determined that the arena was built too close to the street and therefore presented a security risk from a possible car/truck bomb. I remember reading something about it before the arena opened in 2007 and, if that is true, I don't see what has changed in the past 5 years that would warrant the removal of the officers and re-opening of Mulberry unless the building was secretly picked up and moved back a few hundred feet without anyone noticing.

I thought the same as well.
Posted Image

#65 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

I did a quick search and here is the NJ.com article on it.
My link

Mulberry has been closed for arena events over potential terroist attack concerns and the proximity of the building to both Edison Place and Mulberry Street. Can't say I'm surprised that cry baby Corky is conveniently leaving that fact out, like he conveniently leaves out the fact that the City has yet to construct triangle park in accordance with the arena's development agreement, yet blames the Devils for all of their unfulfilled promises that do not contractually bind them to do anything.

I know a terrorist attack at the Rock is unlikely, but that safety measure was put in for a reason before the building opened. Nice of the Bookerman to create a safety risk for the millions of people who visit his absolutely garabage dump of a city each year. And this is why I believe 90% of all politicians are scumbags.
Posted Image

#66 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

The NPD barricades on Mulberry have nothing to do with terrorist threats. The bumpers on Edison Place and those stone blockades on the sidewalk in front of the arena do, however.

#67 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

The NPD barricades on Mulberry have nothing to do with terrorist threats. The bumpers on Edison Place and those stone blockades on the sidewalk in front of the arena do, however.

Your incorrect. Read the article I found and linked to in a earlier post. The closing of both streets has EVERYTHING to do with security concerns over possible terrorist attacks through the use of truck bombs.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 11 April 2012 - 11:26 AM.

Posted Image

#68 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, they originally wanted to leave the street open, it was a construction botch. Someone will eventually get hit by a car crossing Market, and this genius has put it out in the open that he stopped the traffic cops. The eventual huge lawsuit will be more money Newark can't afford to lose.

#69 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

The eventual huge lawsuit will be more money Newark can't afford to lose.

Most likely Newark would be immune from such a suit. If anything the Devils would be on the hook.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#70 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Most likely Newark would be immune from such a suit. If anything the Devils would be on the hook.

There is no law that says the streets around an arena need to be blocked off and/or have a police crossing guard stationed on them. Neither the City nor the Devils could realistically be held liable for such an accident if 1 was to occur (although we live in America and we all know that a frivolous suit would be filed against BOTH entities regardless, especially since Newark owns the arena and the surrounding streets).
Posted Image

#71 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Market street is the Devils property? After the mayor made such public comments out of spite? Yeah, good luck with that.

Edited by maxpower, 11 April 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#72 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,291 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

lol looks like there were some protesters who tried to chain the arena doors shut

nj.com

#73 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

lol looks like there were some protesters who tried to chain the arena doors shut

nj.com

What a bunch of idiots. It shows how uninformed those people of Newark that they interviewed are. Same goes for that lady with the bullhorn. Unbelievable. Can't wait to see if this becomes a routine thing. Occupy Pru Center? Gimmie a fvcking break.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 11 April 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#74 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

nj.com

sharp james woulda made a better deal.

sharp james DID make that deal.

well i don't know if he did or didn't make that deal, but sharp james woulda made a better deal.

it is so clear that booker was grandstanding for his electorate. what's sad is that he is a good speaker and, while certainly left of center on the political spectrum, he has a powerful personality.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#75 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,291 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

What a bunch of idiots. It shows how uninformed those people of Newark that they interviewed are. Same goes for that lady with the bullhorn. Unbelievable. Can't wait to see if these becomes a routine thing. Occupy Pru Center? Gimmie a fvcking break.

My thoughts exactly. They believe a mayor who has basically done little for Newark except making easy decisions instead of supporting an arena that has encouraged at least a decent amount of improvements and growth in a bad economy.

These people were screwed by the city of Newark before the arena ever was even imagined. Corey is just providing a face to scapegoat.

#76 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

jesus, nets attendance really does suck haha

Edited by Mayday, 11 April 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#77 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Corky is pandering to the lowest common denominator and he knows that they will cling to the 5 second soundbites which will make him more popular in his run for re-election and/or a possible matchup vs. Christie for the governor's seat. A large majority of Booker's constituents have no clue about the facts (as evidenced by the guy in the video talking about how Sharpe James would have made a better deal even after being told that James made the original deal). They are the same morons that keep protesting outside the Essex County Courthouse on good weather days asking motorists to honk for jobs by arguing that the US Government needs to implement a state run and funded jobs program. When you tell these idiots that they are advocating for communism, their only response is, "Huh? I aint no communist! Honk for jobs!"
Posted Image

#78 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

sharp james woulda made a better deal.

sharp james DID make that deal.

well i don't know if he did or didn't make that deal, but sharp james woulda made a better deal.

it is so clear that booker was grandstanding for his electorate. what's sad is that he is a good speaker and, while certainly left of center on the political spectrum, he has a powerful personality.

Welcome to Newark, when I said that the people Booker is forced to stand up for are like the school board from Lean on Me, I wasn't kidding. James was in jail. He should have gone to jail for this too, he pretty much defrauded the city on the deal. And then Cracky McGee will claim he would have done a better job.

#79 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Let them try to chain the doors on a playoff game and see the results, ha
Posted Image

#80 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil