316 replies to this topic

#281 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Tonight, I lost my voice. I got many LGD chants going. Someone even spit at my bud who was wearing a Seguin jersey. Lmfao!! Can NOT wait for Sunday... Hopefully my voice recovers by then

#282 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,053 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

in the playoffs, a win is a win. no trying for points here. it's win 4 or go home. we got 1, we need 3 more. Winning is all that matters, I don't care how they do it.

This.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#283 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

For all the bitching that goes on around here, the Devils just played a hell of a third period. Calmed things down nicely.

They did what they had to do in the third period, although I'm still not a fan of playing prevent offense on late power plays, especially with a one-goal lead. Not that I can really blame DeBoer after our 'shorthanded disease' earlier in the season.

It was basically three different games...the first twenty-five minutes was domination, the next fifteen was nearly an utter disaster and the final twenty was how you want to see a team play with a one-goal lead on the road. Thankfully Marty only really had to do a lot late in the second period, and the team clamped down otherwise this could have been a make the boys walk back to the hotel type of loss.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#284 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I thought it was a hell of a third period under the circumstances...the Devils were saved a bit by the bell in the second, but they did what they had to, even if it wasn't highlight-reel stuff. And I agree about the 60 minute crap...fanspeak nonsense.

Saved by the bell is a good way to put it, if that second period was two minutes longer we might still be watching the game, or be having very different thoughts on the team.

Okay, great. Except that the Panthers really aren't that bad. I'm sure a 6 day layoff could have something to do with it and I don't think we'll see a stretch like that again in the series for either team.

The Devils had that same break and came out like caged beasts in the first. They were never going to keep up that kind of domination, 26 shots against any team, much less in a playoff game is unreal. But they do need to get a LOT more from Zach and Kovy going forward, among other things.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 April 2012 - 10:40 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#285 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,053 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

They did what they had to do in the third period, although I'm still not a fan of playing prevent offense on late power plays, especially with a one-goal lead. Not that I can really blame DeBoer after our 'shorthanded disease' earlier in the season.

It was basically three different games...the first twenty-five minutes was domination, the next fifteen was nearly an utter disaster and the final twenty was how you want to see a team play with a one-goal lead on the road. Thankfully Marty only really had to do a lot late in the second period, and the team clamped down otherwise this could have been a make the boys walk back to the hotel type of loss.

I'm just happy they won. If they had blown this one, I'd be replacing my TV.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#286 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

and the good news is our fisrt line didnt score tonight and we still won...

It just a matter of time before Kovalchuk a parise score goals

#287 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,637 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

That top line will def have to come through at some point.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#288 hockey3893498

hockey3893498

Banned Troll

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

I thought it was a hell of a third period under the circumstances...the Devils were saved a bit by the bell in the second, but they did what they had to, even if it wasn't highlight-reel stuff. And I agree about the 60 minute crap...fanspeak nonsense.

Fanspeak nonsense? Daneyko mentioned it in the post game about the devils and playing 60 mins. Players and coaches prech it. Maybe its nonsense to those who don't know the meaning and flippantly dismiss it but its a term used to gauge effort and concentration level. This term has been used in hockey for decades. Its not fanspeak.

#289 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Fanspeak nonsense? Daneyko mentioned it in the post game about the devils and playing 60 mins. Players and coaches prech it. Maybe its nonsense to those who don't know the meaning and flippantly dismiss it but its a term used to gauge effort and concentration level. This term has been used in hockey for decades. Its not fanspeak.

And how do we know they weren't trying and concentrating? Most teams automatically play 60 minutes, but the term, as it is used by many fans and commentators, ignores the natural ebbs and flows that inevitably happen during a hockey game, especially one played between relatively evenly matched teams.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#290 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

and the good news is our fisrt line didnt score tonight and we still won...

It just a matter of time before Kovalchuk a parise score goals

Is it really? Zach hasn't been good at all other than one series against a bad Tampa team when he wasn't even the go-to guy yet and Kovy hasn't done much in the postseason other than a five-on-three goal and an empty-netter against the Flyers. Not to mention they've been streaky at best playing on the same line with each other.

We might be able to beat Florida without them, but they WILL have to come through eventually, either this series or the next.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 April 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#291 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Is it really? Zach hasn't been good at all other than one series against a bad Tampa team when he wasn't even the go-to guy yet and Kovy hasn't done much in the postseason other than a five-on-three goal and an empty-netter against the Flyers. Not to mention they've been streaky at best playing on the same line with each other.

We might be able to beat Florida without them, but they WILL have to come through eventually, either this series or the next.

they are playing against top pairing, and in my opinion, florida's D isnt bad.
Posted Image

#292 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

Florida's D, at least defensively isn't as good as guys they'd be facing down the road.

#293 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Keep taking it to the paint and we will win this no problem

yes
Posted Image

#294 hockey3893498

hockey3893498

Banned Troll

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

And how do we know they weren't trying and concentrating? Most teams automatically play 60 minutes, but the term, as it is used by many fans and commentators, ignores the natural ebbs and flows that inevitably happen during a hockey game, especially one played between relatively evenly matched teams.

Its a cliche but its preached on every team and I think there's lot of matter to it The devils tend to lose focus and become their own worst enemies and its not of the games natural ebb and flow. Give the other team as much credit as you want but the devils do tend to let teams back in games often enough that you can't keep giving credit to other teams. Its overlooking how its happening and why its also an easy excuse or answer. Imo the devils aren't relatively even matched with florida I don't think that's accurate. Florida is a 8th seed disguised as a 3rd.

#295 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

Overall, there is a lot to be happy about regarding tonight's outcome. Sure, it would have been nice if the Devils won 5-0, but at least we're not sitting here scratching our heads like the Penguin fans are doing tonight. In short, let's be thankful for a Devils win ... for at least the next 5 minutes. Then we can start the whole glass-is-half-empty thing.

#296 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

In short, let's be thankful for a Devils win ... for at least the next 5 minutes. Then we can start the whole glass-is-half-empty thing.

Let's at least wait till we lose a f'n playoff game...
Posted Image

#297 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,637 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

We should def be thankful. The view was a lot different 1 year ago.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#298 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

We should def be thankful. The view was a lot different 1 year ago.

Yes, and it occurred to me more than once that this isn't something I/we should take for granted.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#299 JRZYRIPPER

JRZYRIPPER

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

I shouldn't have partied like we won the cup last night, work is going to suck

#300 Mayday

Mayday