#142 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Well he's not wrong. :whistling:

Still not something you chant. No one joined in on it though, was just one ahole.

#143 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

First PP goal came after a stupid penalty from Greene fifteen seconds into the game, and came ten seconds after that. Whatever momentum they had from Game 1 they gave away in 23 seconds. The 5-on-3 was a tough break, fine but after already giving up two PP goals I have no patience for another from THE GREATEST PK OF ALL TIME. After killing off 90% with all these shorthanded goals in the regular season they've killed off 25% in the playoffs. Come on now. And which goal did Marty play terrible, the one where Goc (I think?) had all day to dipsy-doo at the side and Volchenkov missed the block? Marty wasn't the issue tonight.

Marty was the issue on Goal #3, that's not a scoring chance and Brodeur should have it.

I don't care how good of a penalty kill you have, a 2 minute 5 on 3, the other team is a favorite to score a goal. Average goal scoring rates on a 5 on 3 are around 20 goals per 60 minutes, or 1 goal every 3 minutes.

The Devils had a great penalty kill, but it was not the best of all time. It got a ton of luck to end up where it is. Tonight they took 4 penalties, 2 of them were together, 1 the Panthers scored in the first 15 seconds, and the other one the Devils didn't give up a shot on goal.

You may not be impressed with the Panthers, but they've proven the close games in the regular season weren't a fluke now. The Devils are going to have to work to beat this team, and playing 20 minutes ain't gonna do it. This game reminded me so much of Carolina Game 4 it wasn't even funny. Another no-show for forty minutes where we were up in the series and had a chance to put a stranglehold on it. Then they decide to play in the third period and come up even more painfully short. How this team doesn't learn anything from that (at least the half of them that were there three years ago) is beyond me.

Yes, the Panthers are capable of playing in lots of close games. Like tonight, for instance, where they get a bunch of bounces and penalty calls and still end up only winning by 1. That's why I'm not impressed. Everything was there for a blowout and they couldn't close the deal.

Edited by Triumph, 15 April 2012 - 10:04 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#144 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hey Zach, I know you are halfway out the door and all, but you might be able to maximize profit this offseason if you could put some pucks in the net.

#145 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Yes, Theodore is better than Fleury. The Flyers have gotten a million breaks to be up 3-0. And yeah, the Flyers have fallen behind in every single game - 3-0 in game 1, 2-0 in game 2, 1-0 in game 3. So what is this about 60 minutes?

Sometimes, particularly in the playoffs, a team needs to play a full 60 minutes to win the game. Simple as that.

#146 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

The Flyers are up 3-0 on a team that's supposed to be better than them when their own goalie's played like **** too, only less stinky **** than the other team's goalie, so yeah I think they've pretty much given effort, especially with how physical that series is. Considering their goaltending issues, the Flyers have generally got the most out of their talent the past few years while we either didn't compete or underachieved the last three postseasons.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 15 April 2012 - 10:15 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#147 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

They play a great 3 period... but the first 2 were awful, I love the switch henrique Zajac!

Kovalchuk was really dangerous in the third...

But were the fvck was Zach Parisé tonight... I love Zach but common...

#148 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Zach at least showed up, for the most part...but the problem with Zach is he just can't be a difference maker in the postseason. He gets his numbers in the regular season by outworking and outthinking defenders who don't go at playoff speed every game the way he does. But when other players match his work ethic and come up with systems to nulify him in the postseason, he just doesn't have the talent to raise his game. He scores goals one way, with deflections and quick reflex plays in front and everyone knows it.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#149 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Zach is again providing more and more evidence that he is not a post-season performer. If this keeps up and he leaves during the offseason, this will certainly make his departure much more bearable.

sh!tty first forty minutes as great last twenty minutes. Florida came out with more fire and while it sucks they lost I will not panic until we are behind in the series. Let's just win 3 of the next 5 and move on.

#150 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Zach at least showed up, for the most part...but the problem with Zach is he just can't be a difference maker in the postseason. He gets his numbers in the regular season by outworking and outthinking defenders who don't go at playoff speed every game the way he does. But when other players match his work ethic and come up with systems to nulify him in the postseason, he just doesn't have the talent to raise his game. He scores goals one way, with deflections and quick reflex plays in front and everyone knows it.

This season his number are not that high...

Edited by caron14, 15 April 2012 - 10:21 PM.

#151 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

One of the big differences between the Flyers and Devils besides work ethic is that the Flyers swarm the fVck outta the net the whole game whereas we wait until the third period.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#152 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Which is odd, because the Devils seemed to dominate 2nd periods during the regular season.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#153 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

This season his number are not that high...

He still had 35 goals and like 65 points in an off year, when the first twenty games he was completely awful coming off the long layoff. I still think some of the reason his numbers were down was playing with Kovy, the fact there's only one puck for the two of them doesn't help. At best they've been streaky as a line but I don't think we're going to find out whether they can both excel away from each other on the same team this year.

#154 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

What's with all the Flyers comparisons? I get the fact that the Flyers can really score when they need to, but the Devils and Flyers are playing two completely different series. I'm sure we'd be seeing more intensity if NJ were in Ottawa's position now, matched against the Rangers.

#155 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

zach's goals come from a loss or a blow out...canes 5-0 and a pens loss...toronto so loss...4-1 ppg on flyers...5-0 hatty on caps...1 in an OT loss to bruins.

no GWG, pretty pathetic imo
Posted Image

#156 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

zach's goals come from a loss or a blow out...canes 5-0 and a pens loss...toronto so loss...4-1 ppg on flyers...5-0 hatty on caps...1 in an OT loss to bruins.

no GWG, pretty pathetic imo

He had the OT winner in Edmonton. Your making a weird observation. Zach is not having a terrific year but he is still one of our catalysts.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#157 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

and he got an EN in a 5-2 win over florida in january too

im not saying he doesnt win games but dont expect a clutch goal...at least from his record this year.

hes just showcasing his knee is ok this season, we needed another goal tonight.
Posted Image

#158 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

You do not want to resign Parise for the money he is asking. Overpay for Weber like the Bruins did for Chara.

#159 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

It not just the stats issues... you can score and being average... but the fact is we dont see parise a lot... i didnt notice him at all tonight... except for his chance in the first where kovy hit the post on the rebound.

I dont know but it always the same when playoffs comes... he is not bad but he dont deserve 6-7 millions a year if cant be better than that

#160 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

The Panthers don't scare me in the slightest. Hockey's randomness / terrible officiating / Broduer scare me, but not the Panthers.

Devils need to have more than one great period a game though. Even if one great period a game ends up being enough to get past Florida it won't be enough in round 2.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users