181 replies to this topic

#161 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

Zach at least showed up, for the most part...but the problem with Zach is he just can't be a difference maker in the postseason. He gets his numbers in the regular season by outworking and outthinking defenders who don't go at playoff speed every game the way he does. But when other players match his work ethic and come up with systems to nulify him in the postseason, he just doesn't have the talent to raise his game. He scores goals one way, with deflections and quick reflex plays in front and everyone knows it.

insightful way to put it.

#162 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

I think I'll skip watching the DVR of this one...

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#163 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

I'm going to see what happens in Game 3 before getting too worried.

The positives:

Devils split the first two on the road. Sure, it would've been great if they could've taken two, but 1-1 was a reasonable expectation, and the Devils pulled it off.

Kovy and Zajac scored last night. If I had been told the Devils would lose 3-2, but I could pick the Devils' goal-scorers, I would've picked Kovy and Parise, but Zajac would've been just behind them. All things considered, I think it was pretty important for Kovy to put one home, and in non-garbage time to boot. And Parise is at least getting shots on goal...12 of them through two games. That's why I want to see what happens over the rest of the series before branding him a playoff nonentity.

Series has pretty much gone about as I would've expected...and I still think the Devils can take this in 6.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#164 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

Another reason I'm worried: Volchenkov's played south of twelve minutes a night the first two games. Clearly he has some issue, if an eight-day rest at the end of the regular season didn't fix it I don't know what will. And their defense is suspect anyway, without him it just becomes far worse.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#165 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

Another reason I'm worried: Volchenkov's played south of twelve minutes a night the first two games. Clearly he has some issue, if an eight-day rest at the end of the regular season didn't fix it I don't know what will. And their defense is suspect anyway, without him it just becomes far worse.

I think this is part of the reason why I can't get too mad at this team for being about what it is...my expectations simply aren't very high. It's a pretty good team, but clearly one with flaws. Are the Devils better than the Panthers? I believe so, but not by much...I have the Devils winning in six, but it wouldn't surprise me if it took them seven games to do it...at any rate, this was not going to be a cakewalk for the Devils, and we're seeing clear signs of that now.

Beyond that, only the blindest of Devil homers would try to make a case for the Devils getting past Round 2 and beyond...a lot of that will depend on matchups of course, but by my count there are four teams in the East that the Devils don't match up well with, despite what the regular-season records say, and the more "favorable" matchups for the Devils are no gimmes either.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#166 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

How come the Devils let them et pushed around, a few times I saw Zach go to the net , get pushed over after the whistle and Devils players do nothing about it..... If we play the flyers we are doomed...
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#167 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

How come the Devils let them et pushed around, a few times I saw Zach go to the net , get pushed over after the whistle and Devils players do nothing about it..... If we play the flyers we are doomed...

Worry about this series first.

#30 FOREVER!

#168 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Well, last night it was partially because DeBo went out of his way to play Zid, Greene, and Harrold in the 3rd to generate offense.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#169 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Well, last night it was partially because DeBo went out of his way to play Zid, Greene, and Harrold in the 3rd to generate offense.

And Game 1 when we were ahead he didn't play then either.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#170 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

And Game 1 when we were ahead he didn't play then either.

But neither did Harrold. That is a concern, but I do think the game circumstances dictated it.

Yeah, the Penguins haven't let themselves get pushed around, it's worked out great for them.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#171 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I saw the Panthers getting into good defensive position and clearing Zach and others out of the way of Theodore. That's not the type of play that warrants a response to getting pushed around.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#172 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Eh, the way to beat the Flyers is execute on the PP. You know you're gonna get them, and if you burn them, you win. Unfortunately, we don't do a good job on the PP.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#173 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Its simple really, we just need to stay out of the box. I know some of the penalties were ridiculous, but we havent been as disciplined as usual. Its clear who the better team is 5 on 5

#174 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

what album is tonight? how did you score tickets?

Sorry for the delay on this one. Last night was Techno Pop/Electric Cafe. It was pretty cool, the 3D backdrops and graphics were awesome.

I won the tickets through a Volkswagen giveaway someone posted about on Brooklyn Vegan.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#175 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'm not going to be able to watch tonight due to a Kraftwerk concert at the Museum of Modern Art (...man, that almost sounds like a fake BS excuse, but it's real, look it up!).

I will, however, be habitually checking my phone while I watch those German robot-men play with synthesizers and blow minds with 3D imagery.

I expect to see only good things in those updates, Devils. Only. Good. Things.

Dammit how did you get tickets to that? lol I was online on the site the minute they went on sale trying for Trans Europe Express date but it kept crashing and after waiting in the queue for over an hour I just gave up.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Edit: Just saw how you got the tickets lol.

Edited by DevsMan84, 16 April 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#176 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

More of a Neu! fan but that sounds boss.

#177 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Dammit how did you get tickets to that? lol I was online on the site the minute they went on sale trying for Trans Europe Express date but it kept crashing and after waiting in the queue for over an hour I just gave up.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Edit: Just saw how you got the tickets lol.

It was pretty awesome. I'm not a huge Kraftwerk fan, but the show was pretty incredible. They played stuff from Techno Pop for about a half hour, then an hour and a half of other stuff from all of the other albums. The 3D stuff for Numbers and Boing Boom Tschak/Musique Non Stop were pretty incredible.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#178 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

I have to say I like the way the Devils are responding to last night's loss. Take the positives out of the third and know that down never means out. I'll be there tomorrow night screaming for a big W and a successful power play. :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid:

815631765.gif

#179 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Emotion. Intensity. We need that tomorrow.

lets go devils

#180 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Why I'm not that concerned about this series:

http://jetsnation.ca...scoring-chances

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic