439 replies to this topic

#401 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

I think the team takes far too long to take shots. They wait for the perfect screen to setup before releasing the puck. However, this gives the panthers more time to block shots. I'd like to see more snap wristers, more one timers. Less waiting for the perfect shot.

Ya think? When a scrub d-man like Harrold makes five moves in front like he's Gretzky when he already has an open chance in the slot, and holds the puck long enough for the play to die that was, amusing and annoying at the same time.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#402 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

Ya think? When a scrub d-man like Harrold makes five moves in front like he's Gretzky when he already has an open chance in the slot, and holds the puck long enough for the play to die that was, amusing and annoying at the same time.

That was not an open chance in the slot but keep pretending it was.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#403 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

I was looking right at the play, he had a shot there and held it way too long. But whatever, the point remains the same, they passed up open shot after open shot and held the puck until the Panther defensemen got in position to block it.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#404 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I read that too Hasan, ZP is throwing Marty under the bus there. He's right.

I didn't think Harrold had that open shot live, haven't seen the replay. Kovy though had several shots he passed up, or waited too long to do anything with so the Florida guy got in position. Puck was bouncing like a mother out there, but that shouldn't matter.

#405 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Volchenkov was horrible but I was happy with Harrold. Volchenkov seems too slow to play against this team but I'm not sure how much better Larsson would do though.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#406 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I find that, in times like these, a nice upbeat sing-along can usually get spirits soaring again. Here are the lyrics, so we can all sing along:

Next time your found with your chin on the ground
There's a lot to be learn so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie in the sky hopes

So any time your feelin' low stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call and your back's to the wall
There a lots to be learned that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram scram
He kept buttin' that dam

Cause he had high hopes he had high hopes
He had high apple pie in the sky hopes

So any time your feelin' bad stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

So keep those high hopes keep those high hopes
Keep that apple pie in the sky hopes

All problems just a toy balloon they'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop
Oops there goes another problem kerplop
Oops there goes another problem kerplop

Now...who wants to get us started? Volunteers?
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#407 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Well fvck. That'll turn it all around. Maybe Tedenby can knee Versteeg in the balls, series ours.

That would require him to jump. I think headbutting him in the balls is more likely.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#408 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

Teddy will not see the ice, PERIOD

We will sink with the current group, with the exception of possibly Larsson

I WOULD put Cam in the lineup for Game 4 just to throw some hits and to ramp up the physical play. We have showed no emotion or hurt during the series. Cam may not be the most talented player, but he is fiery and brings it every night.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#409 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Last night sucked. No other way to put it.

All I'm going to say about this series is that it isn't over. Sadly, many are posting here as if it is, or as though the Devils might as well forfeit the rest of the series, to stave off the "inevitable".

I can't just bail on this team like that. Yeah, I'm plenty pissed, last night was pretty God-awful, and my memory is long enough that I can't just destroy Marty and forget everything that came before, but damn...I'm still stunned how last night came apart the way it did. But Florida still has to win two more games. Before I leave the Devils completely for dead, I have to see Florida actually pull that feat off. After a game like last night's, that might seem like a gimme now, but it isn't. If the Devils win tomorrow night, the series is tied, just like that. Then we'll see.

The Devils have looked bad at times this season, but their greatest strength has been keeping the skids to a minimum, all things considered...so I'm going to hang my hat on that, and hope Game 4 sees them snap out of it.

This is pretty much how I'm looking at it.

I wasn't at the game last night, so I can only imagine how it must've felt live. I could tell the fans were SO INTO IT. Even Chico mentioned early on that it might've been the loudest he ever heard it there. But then, to see the 3-0 lead disintegrate fairly quickly and then watch the team look helpless in trying to score another goal, I can understand why those who were there were boiling mad.

However, some have talked about the Devils giving up last night. I honestly don't think they gave up. I think they were simply stunned at how seemingly easy it was for the Panthers to take the lead. And that made the Devils become too self-conscious as they tried to tie it up in the third. They were afraid of making a mistake. But that's not the same as giving up.

They did have a few chances toward the end there. Zach missed a golden opportunity. Patrik had a chance off to the side. And someone else, I forget who, maybe Zajac, came close too. So they had opportunities.

In addition to the points CR76 made, I'm also not giving up just yet because of Pete DeBoer. Watching him storm off of the bench after the first period, and seeing how mad he looked during the postgame press conference, it shows me he's not going to let this team give up without a fight. Who can forget Brent Sutter's dumbfounded looks or Jacques' calm pressers after Devils playoff losses. In contrast, it looked to me like PDB was raging inside. I know he doesn't show a lot of emotion, like a Tortorella, but I thought PDB had that pissed-off look in his eyes after the game. That might be what these Devs need to see from their head coach.

Let's see what happens in Game 4.

#410 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

This is pretty much how I'm looking at it.

I wasn't at the game last night, so I can only imagine how it must've felt live. I could tell the fans were SO INTO IT. Even Chico mentioned early on that it might've been the loudest he ever heard it there. But then, to see the 3-0 lead disintegrate fairly quickly and then watch the team look helpless in trying to score another goal, I can understand why those who were there were boiling mad.

However, some have talked about the Devils giving up last night. I honestly don't think they gave up. I think they were simply stunned at how seemingly easy it was for the Panthers to take the lead. And that made the Devils become too self-conscious as they tried to tie it up in the third. They were afraid of making a mistake. But that's not the same as giving up.

They did have a few chances toward the end there. Zach missed a golden opportunity. Patrik had a chance off to the side. And someone else, I forget who, maybe Zajac, came close too. So they had opportunities.

In addition to the points CR76 made, I'm also not giving up just yet because of Pete DeBoer. Watching him storm off of the bench after the first period, and seeing how mad he looked during the postgame press conference, it shows me he's not going to let this team give up without a fight. Who can forget Brent Sutter's dumbfounded looks or Jacques' calm pressers after Devils playoff losses. In contrast, it looked to me like PDB was raging inside. I know he doesn't show a lot of emotion, like a Tortorella, but I thought PDB had that pissed-off look in his eyes after the game. That might be what these Devs need to see from their head coach.

Let's see what happens in Game 4.

I have been to at least 300 Devils games over the years and honestly last night's game ranks in the top 5 most anger-inducing games I have ever been to and it still bothers me today.

However your post and to an extent CR76's post is how we should look at it coming into tomorrow and you are right about PDB reaction. He at least gives a damn and I doubt he will let if fly for game 4.

Let's tie it up tomorrow and just have to win 2 of the next 3 after that.

#411 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

if im deboer larrson play game 4!

and harrold too...

volchenkov has been horrible thes lasrt game i dont put him in game 4

#412 JustinZ

JustinZ

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I WOULD put Cam in the lineup for Game 4 just to throw some hits and to ramp up the physical play. We have showed no emotion or hurt during the series. Cam may not be the most talented player, but he is fiery and brings it every night.

Except for the fact that our fourth line played well once again last night and have the whole series. Break up the only line that's playing well to bring in a talentless goon. Great idea.
Posted Image

#413 JustinZ

JustinZ

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

if im deboer larrson play game 4!

and harrold too...

volchenkov has been horrible thes lasrt game i dont put him in game 4

Volchenkov has been on the ice for 9 of the 10 goals this season. The only one he wasn't was the empty netter.
Posted Image

#414 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Being at work has been such a drag today. Everyone's like, "hey, smile."

I know it shouldn't matter as much to someone, but I bet everyone here has some degree of empathy with that. Today isn't a good day to be a Devils fan. Hopefully the sun will rise again tomorrow and the team will prove us wrong. I really don't want to go to Game 5 with the series being 3-1 Florida.

Sigh...

#415 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Posted Image
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#416 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

That was the single worst live hockey experience I've ever had. I've been angry before, I've been disappointed before, I've been embarrassed to be a fan before, but never all three at once like I was last night. I remember going to a game last season when they lost 5-1 to the Isles and hit rock bottom and thought I'd never be more embarrassed to be a Devils fan, but damnit was I ever fvcking wrong. Last night was the first playoff game I've ever been to so that will always be my first memory of Devils' playoff hockey and nothing short of a bullet to the brain will get that shameful night out of my head. I mean really, that was just deplorable. Everyone should've been given a refund on the way out. It's so frustrating to watch them go from dominating, to coasting, to giving up as it is. But to watch all of that occur in about 22 minutes of game time was just unreal. What made it even worse was KNOWING IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN! As soon as they pulled Jose, all I could think was "Well, they better hang on for dear life cuz they're not scoring again." I mean seriously, in the games this year where the starting goalie was pulled, I can't remember a single time that they continued to score on his replacement. Not a single goal. They get content with running the goalie and quit. It's disgusting. And to watch Marty let in soft goal after soft goal was even worse. The Devils were almost single-handedly beaten by the Panthers DEFENSE. When does that happen? On top of that, to have the crowd be that hot and loud and into it and put on that performance was disgusting. AND THEN, to be chided like children over the PA was infuriating. The fans seemed to care more about the game than anyone on the ice in red did. I showed up, sore throat/fever and all, yelled my head off until I couldn't speak and was scolded for not making enough noise and was treated to one the biggest chokes ever. I mean really, if those guys aren't looking in the mirror this morning and thinking that they fvcked up worse than they've ever fvcked up before then they should just quit the sport. There's no defending last night. As horrible as the officiating was, I can't even blame them for anything other than making the game more frustrating to watch and dragging it out. I can't see them coming back from this. I'd love to see it, but I just don't see it happening. I hope they prove me wrong and come out possessed and ready to play from start to finish, but if getting embarrassed like they did last night didn't wake them the fvck up then I don't know what will.

Edited by PWW, 18 April 2012 - 11:14 AM.

believe-devs.jpg

#417 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

I just watched the replay. That first goal was so freaking weak. It was a nice shot, sure, but there's no way that corner should be there.

Second of all, what is with all the wraparound/stuff shots the Devils were taking, especially on the PP?
Posted Image

#418 Allthegoodnamesweretaken

Allthegoodnamesweretaken

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Posted Image

I only signed in to say I'm lmfao at this. This made my day.

#419 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

I will wait for game 4 before I pass judgement...

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#420 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I agree with Carp. Im more disappointed than pissed. Here are some of my thoughts on certain topics:

1. The crowd- you guys were ******* awesome last night and deserved much better. I hope if you have the means you show up on Thursday because God knows the boys need you now. You energized the team from the get go and CAN be a difference.

2. PK- I think we're killing penalties at a rate of 33% for the series lol. I'm pissed at Parise, but I agree with him when he said the PK isnt playing that poorly. They arent getting picked apart, they are just receiving some bad breaks and abnormally awful goaltending. They'll be fine imo

3. Refs- Im not gonna crucify these guys but they've been pretty bad all series. The only benefit we've gotten all series was the Matthias double minor and the men in stripes have MORE than made up for it since. Like Triumph said in chat, "You could tell they were itching to call one on NJ (when we were up 3-0)". That Elias call was laughably soft and really did turn the momentum. Although, its our fault that we couldnt stop the bleeding. On the disallowed goal: I cant be too pissed about it because its a 50/50 call. I can see arguments on both sides, but it sucks that we never get these decisions in the playoffs (Carolina 09 anyone?).

4. Marty- Holy sh!t, hes been brutal this series. Its perplexing because he was playing so well going in, but maybe he isnt as clutch as we thought. I honestly believe that this next game or two will make or break his future in the league.

5. Parise- He's playing like he's already out the door. I know he's trying, but it doesnt seem like he's giving that extra 10% that he usually shows. Maybe, its because its the playoffs and people tend to go a bit easier in the regular season, but he hasnt elevated his game at all throughout his playoff career. People like to call him a "superstar" but stars and gamebreakers hit an empty net when down one in the final minute. I know it was a pretty tough play, but this is why people dont believe he's a guy who can lead us

6. Who gets a pass (so far)- 4th line, Elias, Zidlicky, Greene, Harrold and Fayne. Everyone else has been pretty bad

In order to win this series, we need to win 3 out of 4 which is not an easy feat. Do the Panthers have the edge? Of course, but this deficit is not insurmountable. I give Florida credit for playing us tough, but it seems like we're finding ways to blow games. If we fix some simple mistakes and get AVERAGE goaltending, we definitely have a shot. Even if we lose the next game, I wont give up on this team until its over. One game and we're back where we started!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users