267 replies to this topic

#201 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

One of the best ways I've seen it expressed is something like this....Greatest Ever, Best ever, no one can really say this will be discussed for decades as superlatives are hard to quantify...But for Brodeur he has accomplished so much that you can take any of his stats/records and split them & the result would still be the records of two Hockey Hall-of Fame Goaltenders.

Very well put. This thread, and the 100 other ones just like it that were posted as a complete overreaction to a poorly played Game 3, show why coaches/GMs at the highest levels are different from us fans. They have the ability to see the forest through the trees and can seperate the emotions of 1 game from the bigger picture. For some to openly hope that the Game 3 abomination was the last time we ever saw Brodeur in a Devils uniform is disgraceful and shows how little appreciation our fans have for anything, let alone what #30 has meant to this franchise. Fact of the matter is, most of you don't remember the bad years 1982-1986 (or weren't even born yet), and haven't known anything other than Brodeur in goal for this team. Brodeur is not what he used to be, but (for this year's playoffs) I'd still take him over any of the goalies in Washington, Ottawa, Philly, Pitt, Florida, Vancouver, Detroit, Chicago, and San Jose. Just glad he got the win (and shutout to boot) last night to make some of the people on this board eat some crow this morning.
Posted Image

#202 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Very well put. This thread, and the 100 other ones just like it that were posted as a complete overreaction to a poorly played Game 3, show why coaches/GMs at the highest levels are different from us fans. They have the ability to see the forest through the trees and can seperate the emotions of 1 game from the bigger picture. For some to openly hope that the Game 3 abomination was the last time we ever saw Brodeur in a Devils uniform is disgraceful and shows how little appreciation our fans have for anything, let alone what #30 has meant to this franchise. Fact of the matter is, most of you don't remember the bad years 1982-1986 (or weren't even born yet), and haven't known anything other than Brodeur in goal for this team. Brodeur is not what he used to be, but (for this year's playoffs) I'd still take him over any of the goalies in Washington, Ottawa, Philly, Pitt, Florida, Vancouver, Detroit, Chicago, and San Jose. Just glad he got the win (and shutout to boot) last night to make some of the people on this board eat some crow this morning.

This is also very well put. I don't think people really understand how stable goaltending has been for this organization the last 20 years. Yeah, Marty's had bad years, but very few and far between. I mean, I remember not long ago people hoping we could snag Varlamov from Washington. Colorado gave up a first for him and he hardly outplayed Giguere, who himself is still living off of one real good playoff run.

Miller, Luongo, and Lunqvist are all guys we've heard about as being among the best the last few years but they are all in their early 30's, have almost no NHL hardware between them, and have all had bad years at different times. My point is a lot of guys can have a good year, or a good 3 or 4 years. But we had a guy give us solid-to-great years nearly every season for about 16 seasons. That people want to take all of that, all the millions he passed on to stay here, and say 'yeah thanks, but screw off because we have Johan Hedberg now' really sucks.

Why? Because he hasn't been a great playoff performer the last few years? Who on this team has been? Or because he's arrogant? Most of the great goalies are. It's the kind of attitude you need to be a goalie. You need an over confidence. It's the same as Clemmensen saying he's glad to be in the league in one sentence and then say he can beat anyone on any given night the next. Like I said before, Glenn Hall was the only real great goalie I can think of off the top of my head who was truly humble, and he had to puke before every game to get the nerves out.

I don't know how people would prefer to be hunting for a new goalie every 2 years and hoping to strike oil. I have all the hope in the world that one of Wedgewood or Kinkaid can be a solid starter for years to come but if either of them are, they are still a few years off. We're gonna have an interesting training camp in 2013 or 2014.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#203 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

The only reason people are overreacting to the shutout is because of the MASSIVE overreaction to the game 3 loss. It's a proportional response.

"2 wrongs..." The point stands.

Apparently you're the one doing all the groin-kicking. "I don't think Brodeur should play another game as a Devil"...how is that not an opinion. In any case, people were pissed at his performance (I hope you realize he gave up a couple goals on game 3). He came back strong, Devils won. In the end, no matter what anyone thinks of any particular player, we all want the same thing. So you can chill the fvck out.

This. Its its not the right thing to do - but he's not an experienced poster. A few years ago I might have done the same.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#204 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

i cant even look at marty anymore without seeing that trollface gif.
Posted Image

#205 pleasepassthesoup

pleasepassthesoup

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Everyone seems to forget they made a rule up just to hinder his ability , the fvcken haters...don't get it.

This, exactly. The man pulled a Wilt Chamberlain. He was so good that they actually had to change the rules just to make him less dominant.

#206 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

This is also very well put. I don't think people really understand how stable goaltending has been for this organization the last 20 years. Yeah, Marty's had bad years, but very few and far between. I mean, I remember not long ago people hoping we could snag Varlamov from Washington. Colorado gave up a first for him and he hardly outplayed Giguere, who himself is still living off of one real good playoff run.

Miller, Luongo, and Lunqvist are all guys we've heard about as being among the best the last few years but they are all in their early 30's, have almost no NHL hardware between them, and have all had bad years at different times. My point is a lot of guys can have a good year, or a good 3 or 4 years. But we had a guy give us solid-to-great years nearly every season for about 16 seasons. That people want to take all of that, all the millions he passed on to stay here, and say 'yeah thanks, but screw off because we have Johan Hedberg now' really sucks.

Why? Because he hasn't been a great playoff performer the last few years? Who on this team has been? Or because he's arrogant? Most of the great goalies are. It's the kind of attitude you need to be a goalie. You need an over confidence. It's the same as Clemmensen saying he's glad to be in the league in one sentence and then say he can beat anyone on any given night the next. Like I said before, Glenn Hall was the only real great goalie I can think of off the top of my head who was truly humble, and he had to puke before every game to get the nerves out.

I don't know how people would prefer to be hunting for a new goalie every 2 years and hoping to strike oil. I have all the hope in the world that one of Wedgewood or Kinkaid can be a solid starter for years to come but if either of them are, they are still a few years off. We're gonna have an interesting training camp in 2013 or 2014.

All of this makes sense, but when has Marty had a truly "bad" year? I can think of a few that were "meh"-ish, and clearly in the last two years he's not what he once was, though he has stretches where he approaches what he was. But outright bad? I've been watching Marty from Day 1, and was already in my 20s when he made his debut, and I can't remember any given year where at the end of it, I thought he was bad. The closest I ever came to feeling that way was 2001, where he finished the playoffs with an .897 save% (.870 in the finals...he only faced 146 shots in seven games).
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#207 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

i cant even look at marty anymore without seeing that trollface gif.

And I can't see your avatar without thinking of ordering a Large Farva.

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#208 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

All of this makes sense, but when has Marty had a truly "bad" year? I can think of a few that were "meh"-ish, and clearly in the last two years he's not what he once was, though he has stretches where he approaches what he was. But outright bad? I've been watching Marty from Day 1, and was already in my 20s when he made his debut, and I can't remember any given year where at the end of it, I thought he was bad. The closest I ever came to feeling that way was 2001, where he finished the playoffs with an .897 save% (.870 in the finals...he only faced 146 shots in seven games).

All that comes to mind would be the beginning of last season and the beginning of this one. You're right. I should have said there have been bad ones by Marty's standards, but not many (or no full) bad ones by average league standards.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 20 April 2012 - 03:46 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#209 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

All that comes to mind would be the beginning of last season and the beginning of this one. You're right. I should have said there have been bad ones by Marty's standards, but not many (or no full) bad ones by average league standards.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, beginning of last season and this one, but that coincides with end of his ridiculously long prime. Kinda crazy to think that his prime lasted from '93 to '10, if you really stop to think about it. It's only the last two years we've seen a noticable dropoff in his performance, and he's actually recovered to produce solid second halves in both years.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 20 April 2012 - 03:51 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#210 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hey 7, what do you think now after game 4?

#211 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

This, exactly. The man pulled a Wilt Chamberlain. He was so good that they actually had to change the rules just to make him less dominant.

I think you are referring to Lew Alcinder, aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when they banned the dunk in college basketball in the late 60's.
Joe

#212 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

I think you are referring to Lew Alcinder, aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when they banned the dunk in college basketball in the late 60's.

Wilt is usually given at least partial credit for changing rules on goaltending, free throw shooting, three seconds in the paint, and the size of the lane.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#213 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hey 7, what do you think now after game 4?

Let me help you.

Bottom line is the Devils are a far superior team to florida...if brodeur doesn't suck (as he did 2 days ago) we likely win. We don't ask much of Brodeur. This team is sound defensively and has some offensive punch. If he doesn't let in softies early (like today) and the offense finally pumps some goals past the myth that is Clemmensen...we'll win.

I'm still worried about Marty. He's very jekyll and hyde at this age. Honestly if he lets in some more softies sat night, I won't be shocked.

Edited by ben00rs, 21 April 2012 - 02:33 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#214 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Well guess it's time to bump this thread again :argh: Another two softies tonight, just like 2009 can't keep it up after a shutout.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 21 April 2012 - 07:56 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#215 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

dp

Edited by NJDevs4978, 21 April 2012 - 07:56 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#216 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Well guess it's time to bump this thread again :argh: Another two softies tonight, just like 2009 can't keep it up after a shutout.

You're right. Should won this game with all that offensive support.

People are unbelievable around here.

#217 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

You're right. Should won this game with all that offensive support.

People are unbelievable around here.

Devils were buzzing before Marty let that second goal in. Instead of fighting for a chance at tying we are now looking at no chance for a tie.

Marty better retire after this season.

#218 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Not to mention they had a good first period, then Marty's clunker early in the second put them on their heels. Of course the rest of the team did nothing after that either.

I guess Tri can tell me the Devils are resilient and this is all luck :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 21 April 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#219 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Can't we go one playoff series without a brodeur gaffe these days?

He killed our momentum and our chances to tie the game.

And the first goal was a typical softie

Edited by devlman, 21 April 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#220 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Can't we go one playoff series without a brodeur gaffe these days?

He killed our momentum and our chances to tie the game.

Absolutely wrong in every way.
He kept us in a game for 2.33 periods against how many PP's?
I'm no Brodeur apologist - but -
People have such short term memories.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users