267 replies to this topic

#221 NJDF

NJDF

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

I can't believe people are trying to hang this loss on Marty. Marty kept the devils in the whole game. The Devils could muster no offense, got beat to every loose puck, got dominated in the face off circle and got out worked by Florida the whole game....and you want to blame Marty who made countless great saves?? Yes, he made one bad play but he was brilliant the rest of the game. The Panthers controlled the play the whole game and deserved this win....Marty looked like the only Devil who even bothered to show up. Hopefully we get a better effort back in Jersey.

Go Devils!!!

#222 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

That second goal was horrific. But as much as I want Marty to retire after this year, this loss wasn't on him. What an awful awful effort all around. The defensemen outside of Harrold were mostly atrocious tonight with giving up lots of chances.

Also, puck control and composure near the net outside of Elias was non-existent. Henrique was not good at all tonight. Only forwards who played well were Parise and Elias.

Kovalchuk must have a terrible leg or groin injury because he looks he's 50 years old right now. Also, Clarkson has done virtually nothing this series outside of assisting on the Zajac goal.

The Devils team speed is not up to par and that needs to be addressed. The Panthers are a better hockey team. It hurts, but I've seen it with my eyes now through five games. I think the Panthers will close us out in Game 6.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#223 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,708 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Yeah well when you guys are rushing to pronounce Marty 'back' after Game 4 it's gonna come back and get you when he isn't back in Game 5.

This isn't about short memories either, the Marty of a few years ago would be able to put more than one good game in a row together in the playoffs (clearly he isn't now), then again the Marty of a few years ago was playing with HOF'ers instead of mongloids like Volchenkov on defense.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 21 April 2012 - 08:26 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#224 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Absolutely wrong in every way.
He kept us in a game for 2.33 periods against how many PP's?
I'm no Brodeur apologist - but -
People have such short term memories.

Go back and read my post. You're replying to something I didn't say.

#225 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Go back and read my post. You're replying to something I didn't say.

Fair enough
Ok maybe that gaffe killed the momentum for the 3rd - but he also created momentum by stopping a lot of chances for 2 periods.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#226 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

The fact that we have to have this conversation at least twice in every single series he's played in for the last 9 years is all you really need to know about his ability to raise his game in the playoffs.

The truth is, he helped put us in a hole in this series with crap goaltending in the first 3 games and he needed to step up and steal a game tonight. Overall he played pretty well but we need him not to whiff on a shot he was in perfect position to save and I don't want to even discuss the second goal because that one makes my blood boil.

#227 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

I'm sorry but Marty set the tone in this game. Obviously the loss is not entirely his fault but that first goal was BRUTAL. A shot from the bottom of the circle near the boards? Give me a break. That softie brought the whole team down and for some reason this team cannot respond after these type of goals. Then we finally pour on some pressure and Marty leaves the net and gives up a terrible gaffe. Embarrassing.

Start Moose, the team responds to him.

Kovalchuk - Looks hurt
Henrique - No chemistry at all on third line, throw him on first
Sykora - BAD
Bernier - Put him in Sykoras spot, he has been great in this series
Clarkson/Ponikarovsky - Where the hell are you?
Moose - Play him, why not? Why the hell not, he deserves a chance
Parise - Be accountable, make sure the team shows heart

Edited by Zubie#8, 21 April 2012 - 09:12 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#228 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Without the trapezoid rule that second goal doesn't happen. Also you can't blame the goalie for a loss in which you get shut out.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#229 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm sorry but Marty set the tone in this game. Obviously the loss is not entirely his fault but that first goal was BRUTAL. A shot from the bottom of the circle near the boards? Give me a break. That softie brought the whole team down and for some reason this team cannot respond after these type of goals. Then we finally pour on some pressure and Marty leaves the net and gives up a terrible gaffe. Embarrassing.

Start Moose, the team responds to him.

Kovalchuk - Looks hurt
Henrique - No chemistry at all on third line, throw him on first
Sykora - BAD
Bernier - Put him in Sykoras spot, he has been great in this series
Clarkson/Ponikarovsky - Where the hell are you?
Moose - Play him
Parise - Be accountable, make sure the team shows heart

Should I be surprised that Zubrus isnt anywhere on that list...coming from someone whos user name is Zubie#8?

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#230 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Should I be surprised that Zubrus isnt anywhere on that list...coming from someone whos user name is Zubie#8?

Zubrus - Showed up for one game, nothing since. You happy? I did not want to do every player.

Edited by Zubie#8, 21 April 2012 - 09:14 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#231 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Without the trapezoid rule that second goal doesn't happen. Also you can't blame the goalie for a loss in which you get shut out.

Doesn't mean people won't still blame him. Apparently Brodeur ruined the momentum, but taking a ton of crappy penalties and shooting wide all night doesn't kill momentum. Who knew?
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#232 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Second goal wasn't on Marty it was on Kovy.

#233 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

I don't give a sh!t whose fault the 2nd goal was. This team was pathetic tonight. Here's a fun fact for ya...

Tuesday has the chance to be the 4th time in 5 years we lose a series on home ice and that other year we missed the playoffs. Awesome.

#234 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

I don't give a sh!t whose fault the 2nd goal was. This team was pathetic tonight. Here's a fun fact for ya...

Tuesday has the chance to be the 4th time in 5 years we lose a series on home ice and that other year we missed the playoffs. Awesome.

Lets be the Hurricanes of 2012, win game six at home then break the Panther fans hearts at their place.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#235 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Lets be the Hurricanes of 2012, win game six at home then break the Panther fans hearts at their place.

It can happen. Both of these teams are really so bad though that whoever plays them in the 2nd round is going to have an easy ride into the conference finals.

#236 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Second goal wasn't on Marty it was on Kovy.

Wrong. It's very much on Brodeur as well. He was so nonchalant with his handling of the puck and failed to properly read the positioning of the players in the zone. But he is not solely to blame for the loss overall and kept things close the first two periods. It was clear as day we were losing this game, but that goal just sealed it for certain.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#237 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Yeah well when you guys are rushing to pronounce Marty 'back' after Game 4 it's gonna come back and get you when he isn't back in Game 5.

This isn't about short memories either, the Marty of a few years ago would be able to put more than one good game in a row together in the playoffs (clearly he isn't now), then again the Marty of a few years ago was playing with HOF'ers instead of mongloids like Volchenkov on defense.

Huh? As a goalie he played fine. That play as a defenseman was a little lacking but he wasn't the only person on the ice that fvcked up, why are Sal and Kovy waiting for a breakout when the only pass he can make is a backhand back around the other way? I mean they're watching Upshall go to the net. Why is Upshall going to the net? Because he knows it can't fvcking come out that side of the ice, so get to where you can make a play.

His biggest mistake there is not rushing to the puck and taking a penalty, since it's blown dead automatically.

#238 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Wrong. It's very much on Brodeur as well. He was so nonchalant with his handling of the puck and failed to properly read the positioning of the players in the zone. But he is not solely to blame for the loss overall and kept things close the first two periods. It was clear as day we were losing this game, but that goal just sealed it for certain.

Wrong. He saw the player coming in with salvador as he went behind the net. No one covered the player who got the puck from him OR the guy in front of the net. Just more lazy devil play.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#239 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

And to add on to that, I can only remember once seeing the goalie do the "right thing" there, I remember one time Lundqvist got trapped and pretty much just fell on the puck to get a whistle. He got trapped, sh!t happens, he didn't make the right decision, but the rest of that play is the sh!ts too.

#240 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Wrong. He saw the player coming in with salvador as he went behind the net. No one covered the player who got the puck from him OR the guy in front of the net. Just more lazy devil play.

Nonsense. Just pure nonsense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users