267 replies to this topic

#121 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

Some people are so disrespectful. If you feel this way, why bring it up now?

Apparently 3 weak goals and your career is automatically over and you should never play again.

go devils

Thats not exactly a fair assessment of how people are reacting. I have personally defended Marty all season and don't know what to do now.

Edited by ben00rs, 19 April 2012 - 09:47 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#122 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

Posted Image
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#123 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

Thats not exactiyla fair assessment of how people are reacting. I have personally defended Marty all season and don't know what to do now.

Did you read the title of the thread?

The guys who don't appreciate Marty now probably will later, when the Devils will be likely one of many teams that will have to re-visit their goalie situation every few years or so. I don't think they realize how lucky they were to have a guy you could not only pencil in to start 70+ games for year after year after year, but you could count on to play very well most of the time. The last couple of years have clearly seen his play drop a notch overall, no question, the save%s alone the last two seasons attest to that (.903 and .908), though Marty did have four years in the prime of his career where his save%s were .906, .910, .906 and .906 (his career save% is .913). I don't have a problem with people criticizing Marty, but the venom and mean-spiritedness that comes with how some people choose to do it baffles me. I can't ever, nor would I ever want to, be a part of that. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the Devils pre-Marty, and not obsessed with tying asterisks to some of his accomplishments after the fact.

Regardless of what happens, I do hope Marty hangs 'em up after this season, regardless of how this postseason turns out, only because the last two seasons have been so inconsistent...he has looked so much like old Marty at times, but no one can say anymore WHEN he can be expected to perform like old Marty (not even him), and when he's not on his game, it's become so sad to see, and not just on the ice, but the way too many Devils fans react to those less-than-stellar moments. He may have another stretch in him like last season's and this season's second halves, but I would rather not see him risk trying, as to fail will lead to yet another round of too many Devils fans yet again making him sound like the worst person ever to lace up the skates wearing the Devils sweater.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#124 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

It's hard to defend Marty - or anyone else on this team - when Marty says things like 'we didn't expect to be tested this early'. Who the fvck are you guys to take ANYONE lightly after five years of playoff dissapointments and underachieving?! If they lose Game 4, they should just die like the dogs they are in Game 5, don't annoy us further by coming back here to get eliminated when Clemmensen shuts us out in Game 6 :rant:

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 April 2012 - 06:58 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#125 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Did you read the title of the thread?

The guys who don't appreciate Marty now probably will later, when the Devils will be likely one of many teams that will have to re-visit their goalie situation every few years or so. I don't think they realize how lucky they were to have a guy you could not only pencil in to start 70+ games for year after year after year, but you could count on to play very well most of the time. The last couple of years have clearly seen his play drop a notch overall, no question, the save%s alone the last two seasons attest to that (.903 and .908), though Marty did have four years in the prime of his career where his save%s were .906, .910, .906 and .906 (his career save% is .913). I don't have a problem with people criticizing Marty, but the venom and mean-spiritedness that comes with how some people choose to do it baffles me. I can't ever, nor would I ever want to, be a part of that. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the Devils pre-Marty, and not obsessed with tying asterisks to some of his accomplishments after the fact.

Regardless of what happens, I do hope Marty hangs 'em up after this season, regardless of how this postseason turns out, only because the last two seasons have been so inconsistent...he has looked so much like old Marty at times, but no one can say anymore WHEN he can be expected to perform like old Marty (not even him), and when he's not on his game, it's become so sad to see, and not just on the ice, but the way too many Devils fans react to those less-than-stellar moments. He may have another stretch in him like last season's and this season's second halves, but I would rather not see him risk trying, as to fail will lead to yet another round of too many Devils fans yet again making him sound like the worst person ever to lace up the skates wearing the Devils sweater.

While I think its somewhat unnecessary to talk about what he has done, I also think some people are being overly insulting. But the way Marty is talking to the media it's not easy to feel bad for the guy. That's a big reason for this backlash. While some fans here need to watch what they say out of respect for Marty's 15 years or so of greatness for us, at the same time he needs to stop acting so entitled. He has won nothing in 10 years aside from a couple first round playoff victories. I do however accept the argument that that's just how he is and its just him being competitive and like TG said "I think Marty knows he needs to play better." It's as if TG knows Marty well and sees through the arrogance.

You might not remember this but when Marty was playing poorly early on in the season, I was his most ardent defender. I argued that it wasn't his fault and that he should continue to start.

The main point is that none of this really matters. If Marty has a huge game today, the haters will have to back away and if he is bad, they are here to stay. And whichever happens will show us whether Marty is truly done or not. Tonight is obviously the biggest game of the rest of Marty's career; it can either be the turning point or what should be the end. If he loses badly, it just wouldn't be responsible of Lou to keep him in net for this team, knowing we can't win a Cup.

And bad interviewer or not, Marty has to stop taking side shots at his teammates. Especially the, "Well I didn't get the loss comments." Taking a shot at Moose is not the way to go.

Wouldn't it be great if he stops 40 shots tonight and has a shutout? Chances of that happening...Go Devils...Posted Image

Edited by ben00rs, 19 April 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#126 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

It's hard to defend Marty - or anyone else on this team - when Marty says things like 'we didn't expect to be tested this early'. Who the fvck are you guys to take ANYONE lightly after five years of playoff dissapointments and underachieving?! If they lose Game 4, they should just die like the dogs they are in Game 5, don't annoy us further by coming back here to get eliminated when Clemmensen shuts us out in Game 6 :rant:

I really don't think that means what you think it means.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#127 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

I am just curious how this board would of reacted in 2000 when the Devils were down 3-1 to the Flyers in the Eastern Conference Finals...haha..

Everyone relax, calm down, and see what happens...

Posted Image

its funny you mention that - while this version of the board wasn't here in 2000, many members were and you had a surprising amount of people saying that it was certainly possible. people were upset immediately after game 4 but after about 2 hours, you had a good portion saying that they felt there was a good chance to get back. i was one of them then.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#128 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

its funny you mention that - while this version of the board wasn't here in 2000, many members were and you had a surprising amount of people saying that it was certainly possible. people were upset immediately after game 4 but after about 2 hours, you had a good portion saying that they felt there was a good chance to get back. i was one of them then.

I won't deny that the 2000 team is far superior than the team we have now haha.

I just wish people would just wait and see what happens before we start calling out every player on the roster

#129 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

I won't deny that the 2000 team is far superior than the team we have now haha.

I just wish people would just wait and see what happens before we start calling out every player on the roster

I think this is my biggest problem with some people's attitudes around here right now. Too many "This series is over" talk, or acting like it is. It isn't. What if Marty comes back, finds his game yet again, and the Devils pull this series out? '7' was basically calling for Marty to never start another game again.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#130 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Best post in the thread so far.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#131 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think this is my biggest problem with some people's attitudes around here right now. Too many "This series is over" talk, or acting like it is. It isn't. What if Marty comes back, finds his game yet again, and the Devils pull this series out? '7' was basically calling for Marty to never start another game again.

Yeah, I think that has roots in some of the recent results. I mean, the last 3 times the Devils have gone down 2-1 in a series, they've lost the next 2, by a combined score of 23-10. It's not exactly a lot of happy memories.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#132 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, I think that has roots in some of the recent results. I mean, the last 3 times the Devils have gone down 2-1 in a series, they've lost the next 2, by a combined score of 23-10. It's not exactly a lot of happy memories.

True, but this is a different opponent, different series...doesn't have the same feel as those series did. The Devils felt like the inferior team in all of those series. This one I feel like the Devils can still get it together.

#30 FOREVER!

#133 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

I believe the Devils are a mentally fragile team, and this may have killed them. We'll find out based on their performance tonight.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#134 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Marty has to stop taking side shots at his teammates. Especially the, "Well I didn't get the loss comments." Taking a shot at Moose is not the way to go.

He can take shots all he wants, facts are facts. The guy's won 6 playoff games of his last 20 (going all the way back since the 2006-07 season) and he's given up 8 goals in 7½ periods this series alone. Moreover.. what exactly did he do this year that gives him the right to talk? Win 30 games out of 60? :noclue: I'll pop the champagne.

..fact is, you could've interpreted Parise's comments of; "I didn't think our PK struggled" ..as a shot at Brodeur. Eluding to the shots being stoppable.

Edited by Beezer34, 19 April 2012 - 02:23 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#135 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

people are defiantly overreacting here. IF we win tonight im sure nobody will really think about this, but if it is the other way around it will blow up even more. everyone has to chill out.

#136 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Ouch. Not encouraging.

I believe the Devils are a mentally fragile team, and this may have killed them. We'll find out based on their performance tonight.

True. And it's not just getting out to an early lead. It's getting a lead and holding it, or it's making a comeback to take a lead back or win altogether. It's a full 60 minutes and/or overtime win if needed.

Has to be a win.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#137 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

..fact is, you could've interpreted Parise's comments of; "I didn't think our PK struggled" ..as a shot at Brodeur. Eluding to the shots being stoppable.

you could but that's a lot more indirect than what Marty said which really can't be mistaken for anything else.

#138 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

you could but that's a lot more indirect than what Marty said which really can't be mistaken for anything else.

Yeah, but even I have to say, it was clear in reading and listening to several comments that a lot of players were surprised at the inability to make those saves and pretty much admitted they lost their rhythym because of it. They aren't going to outright point fingers or give names. It definitely sounded though like a few of them were upset/disappointed about the goals going in.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#139 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Amen!!! I remember back then and Robinson's kick the waste basket speech. There were a good number of us saying it was possible and the most difficult game in the series is getting that 4th win. There were a decent number of Flyer fans who figured they had that series when they were up 3-1. Wonder if some of them get nervous with their 3-1 lead currently.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#140 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Wonder how many of you "fans" are gonna eat your crow after Marty continues this stellar performance. Still want moose in net??

Yea record for wins and shut outs all system no talent HAHAHAHAHAHA fans... pathetic
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users