349 replies to this topic

#321 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I don't need to take another look at these games. Parise has been great. The Rangers are working their asses off and getting them handed to them - work doesn't matter when you're sitting in your own zone for 60% of the series like the Rangers.

I agree that Sykora has been terrible and that the 3rd line has been non-existent. The defense, Volchenkov aside, has been incredibly strong 5 on 5. Still, in that critical Game 3, Brodeur was awful, and the Devils could be ahead in this series without that. He's the single most critical player, and with the defense playing as strong as it has 5 on 5 (and I don't think the PK has been that bad - getting all sorts of bad breaks and Brodeur unable to make a single stop on it doesn't help), it sucks to be down in this series.

Game 3 was critical, but game 5 was more critical, and Brodeur showed up, and the offense didn't. The Versteeg goal was not great. It was a great shot, but I thought he had a lot of time to get in position and make a good save. But he stopped two breakaways (or semi breakaways) and three 2-on-1s. The offense was terrible and Theodore did not make one tough save all night. They had no energy all night.

The thing is...we know what Brodeur is at this point. He had a pretty bad year but the team still finished with 102 points. He hasn't been bad say for 1 game, and his stats actually say he has only improved. You can't say the same for the offense in this series. Expecting Brodeur to play any better than he has isn't likely unfortunately.

And say what you want 5-on-5, there were a ton of breakdowns last night where Brodeur bailed the team out. Put game 3 on Brodeur. Absolutely. But add in the fact how awful they were after Theodore was pulled and last night, well you have a ton of blame to go around.

Edited by devilsrule33, 22 April 2012 - 07:31 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#322 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Really, because I'm pretty sure he has a .916 2.32 and 1 so? If you told me Marty had these stats through 5, I'd say we'd be the ones winning

Wonderful, the stats over five games really tell the story considering he got pulled early when he was leaking goals, plus he was much better against the Flyers two years ago and had **** numbers.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#323 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

We can go around and around on Broduer's culpability in this series- and game 3 was clearly on him- but I re-iterate: no goals from the 3rd line, no goals from the blue line. Good luck winning when you can't fvcking score.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#324 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

We had depth scoring into the playoffs but right now we've been relying on Elias, Zaj, Kovy, and Parise.

Zubrus, Sykora, Ponikarovsky, Henrique, and Clarkson have been MIA. The fvcking 4th line has more goals.

Kovalchuk and Parise aren't having good series in terms of production but we would be in a much better position if our depth scoring guys showed up.

#325 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

We had depth scoring into the playoffs but right now we've been relying on Elias, Zaj, Kovy, and Parise.

Zubrus, Sykora, Ponikarovsky, Henrique, and Clarkson have been MIA. The fvcking 4th line has more goals.

Kovalchuk and Parise aren't having good series in terms of production but we would be in a much better position if our depth scoring guys showed up.

If the Devils are going to come back and win this series, we're going to need some offensive contributions from a combo of Zubrus, Clarkson, Ponikarovsky, and Sykora. They've all been invisible, and it may be the biggest reason we're behind in the series other than the PK eating a sh!tburger.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#326 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

i concur that there is certainly blame to go all around and it's been hit on in this thread. if we'd like, we could have a 3 page thread on the fact that henrique has been an absolute zero for about 25 games now but marty is always going to be the focal point as any goaltender is. volchenkov got his own thread (it helped that his gaffes were pretty glaring) to win in the playoffs, unless you have an unreal offense like philly and chicago a couple years ago, you need your goaltender to make EVERY save he should make and most of the ones he shouldn't.

sure the offense didn't show up last night. but if marty gets to the versteeg goal (actually he did get there, he just had bad form and it got through him on the low side post), its a 0-0 game. and the second goal just ended any chance. at 0-1, there's always a chance until the final horn.

game 3 was such an abortion that he deserves a ton of blame on the current state of the series. and to those that point to marty's stats, the sv% is built up a lot by FL's over counting of shots.

injuries are clearly an issue for kovalchuk and clarkson, and to a lesser extent volchenkov. zajac has not been good this series and gets a pass with his injury. sykora has nothing but his shot at this point.

the fact is, the devils were going to be hardpressed to win a series if marty wasn't their best or 2nd best player. with how well the d has played and elias and zubrus, you can't say marty has been one of their best players.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#327 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

i concur that there is certainly blame to go all around and it's been hit on in this thread. if we'd like, we could have a 3 page thread on the fact that henrique has been an absolute zero for about 25 games now but marty is always going to be the focal point as any goaltender is. volchenkov got his own thread (it helped that his gaffes were pretty glaring) to win in the playoffs, unless you have an unreal offense like philly and chicago a couple years ago, you need your goaltender to make EVERY save he should make and most of the ones he shouldn't.

sure the offense didn't show up last night. but if marty gets to the versteeg goal (actually he did get there, he just had bad form and it got through him on the low side post), its a 0-0 game. and the second goal just ended any chance. at 0-1, there's always a chance until the final horn.

game 3 was such an abortion that he deserves a ton of blame on the current state of the series. and to those that point to marty's stats, the sv% is built up a lot by FL's over counting of shots.

injuries are clearly an issue for kovalchuk and clarkson, and to a lesser extent volchenkov. zajac has not been good this series and gets a pass with his injury. sykora has nothing but his shot at this point.

the fact is, the devils were going to be hardpressed to win a series if marty wasn't their best or 2nd best player. with how well the d has played and elias and zubrus, you can't say marty has been one of their best players.

If they can't win this series with their goalie being at worst, a draw with the opponent goalies, they freaking suck and Florida is doing them a favor.

#328 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

If they can't win this series with their goalie being at worst, a draw with the opponent goalies, they freaking suck and Florida is doing them a favor.

what the hell does this mean? its like you're saying there's no honor in winning a series you shouldn't for whatever reason. or that you'd rather go down now than get blown out in round 2. both are preposterous. if you told me right now, i'm guaranteed to win the next two and get to round two, where the rangers will sweep with average scores of 4-0, i'd take it right now.

the playoffs have so much luck involved, its not even funny.

oh and to earlier saying the bernier goal on clemmer was sh!t, i totally disagree. doesn't matter that he's not a goal scorer - that was a snipe and not a bad goal by any stretch. the 4 goals clemmer gave up - i have no problem with any of them from clemmer's standpoint.

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-

#329 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

That or there are a lot of injuries with this team. But I don't think goaltending has been a draw at worst. Some Brodeur goals and the one Hedberg let in have been worse than any Theodore and Clemmensen goals.

If Kovalchuk has anything left in the tank. You'll have to think we see it in game 6 and 7. I don't expect much of anything from Henrique, Sykora. Pony or Clarkson. I expect something from Kovy. If not, he has to be really hurt.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#330 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

That or there are a lot of injuries with this team. But I don't think goaltending has been a draw at worst. Some Brodeur goals and the one Hedberg let in have been worse than any Theodore and Clemmensen goals.

If Kovalchuk has anything left in the tank. You'll have to think we see it in game 6 and 7. I don't expect much of anything from Henrique, Sykora. Pony or Clarkson. I expect something from Kovy. If not, he has to be really hurt.

Give me a break. This is exactly what I mean. It's been at worst a draw and you guys can't even admit to that. Clemmer gives up 4 goals in a game and none of it is his fault, when he gets beat by noted sniper Steve Bernier. Trust me, if Marty gave up that goal there would be 14 threads about it on here. Clemmer's game essentially was a bust. And Theodore has been caught swimming numerous times in the series. He had a heroic period in which he gave up 3 goals. Ultimately, it wasn't enough anyway.

#331 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Give me a break. This is exactly what I mean. It's been at worst a draw and you guys can't even admit to that. Clemmer gives up 4 goals in a game and none of it is his fault, when he gets beat by noted sniper Steve Bernier. Trust me, if Marty gave up that goal there would be 14 threads about it on here. Clemmer's game essentially was a bust. And Theodore has been caught swimming numerous times in the series. He had a heroic period in which he gave up 3 goals. Ultimately, it wasn't enough anyway.

again, who cares that it's bernier who had the great shot. am i killing marty on the PP goals against where a puck bounced to a guy and left an open net? no i am not. and i wouldn't kill clemmer if i was a panthers fan because they were all very good shots.

perhaps i'm just jealous. i'm watching this kings/canucks series and the goaltending (w/o bobby lou) has been outstanding.

20082719943.png
-

#332 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Marty getting held to a higher standard than Scott Clemmensen or Jose Theodore? Alert the media. In other news, dog bites man.

Even if it was a draw as you say max, that's still bad enough. I mean, Clemmensen is a career backup and Theodore - well the last time we saw him in the playoffs he was getting the hook after one game with the Caps, and he sucked balls down the stretch this year. While Marty's the 'greatest ever' and has been bad in the playoffs almost every year since the lockout, or at least had a bad series in the playoffs.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 22 April 2012 - 09:29 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#333 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

As for the rest of the team, I think they need a visit from the Ghost of Christmas Past:

Posted Image

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#334 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Wonderful, the stats over five games really tell the story considering he got pulled early when he was leaking goals, plus he was much better against the Flyers two years ago and had **** numbers.

Ok, he got pulled once in 5 games and I admitted he was bad in that one. None of the other games were his fault, even game 2 where the Samuelsson shot trickled through. The team picks and chooses when they try and its usually too late

#335 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

And lol at the Bernier goal being bad, I just looked at the highlights again - there's no way you could blame any goalie for that one or for any of Clem's goals. Bernier was in close and had a second or two to pick his spot, not off the boards beyond the faceoff dot.

#336 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Marty has never, ever been one to get emotional after goals. His attitude "If it goes in it goes in." It's in the past and all he can do is try to stop the next one. When he's winning, people call it calmness and confidence. When he's losing, he doesn't care apparently.

Yeah, looks like Marty's going to get shredded by some no matter what he does. Game 3 was clearly brutal, but overall he hasn't been nearly as bad as some are making him out to be. It seems like moreso than ever, some Devils fans are just looking to pounce on anything and everything they can find regarding Marty. So be it.

Kind of hard to win when your team gets shutout anyway.

Not going to kill these guys when the series ain't over yet, easy as it could be to do so. I still want to see Game 6, and hopefully Game 7 beyond.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#337 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

a quick side note. i'm all pissed at the loss, so i figure i will go watch a movie and forget it ever happened. I had the girl with a dragon tattoo on dvd i wanted to watch, great, pop that bad boy in and no more hocke.... AAAA what the fvck is this.... written by Larsson. SHWH@^#^#&$&$&

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#338 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

As much as I was really pissed at Marty the last game, I have to admit he didn't get much help on offense in that game as well. I'm done with game 5 now.

While I still highly doubt they will win this series, I have my hopes. I am looking for a great bounceback the next game to force a game 7 where we can pull out a win.

#339 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

I have a good feeling about game 6. Game 7, another story :)

This isn't the Flyers or Rangers of a few years ago - we can skate with this team and we are as talented to win. Are we as healthy and getting the performances out of our players to win the series - i don't know. We shall see.

#340 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

As much as I was really pissed at Marty the last game, I have to admit he didn't get much help on offense in that game as well. I'm done with game 5 now.

While I still highly doubt they will win this series, I have my hopes. I am looking for a great bounceback the next game to force a game 7 where we can pull out a win.

I mean if I really look at game 5, crappy second goal aside its a 1-0 game with their goal coming on the PP and I thin the refs really screwed us on several of those penalties..

Just like game 3, and I think our guys are now afraid to play hard because everything is getting called.. I mean, Carter's boarding call? The fvcking guy fell on his own.. It's like they see the BS going on in other series and are looking for it in ours

Anyway, if we win Tuesday it's a game 7 and a toss up in my opinion.. Win Tuesday and we can definitely take this series.. I just hope the refs will chill out

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users