Panthers president Michael Yormark berates Devils fans on Twitter

#62 Jerseydevils0324

Jerseydevils0324

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I hope the Devs come out on fire tonight... and keep the fire the entire game. That way the fans could tear Yormark a new one rather than have to worry about taking or losing the lead.

#63 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

I don't know about the fighting on twitter after this but from a Panthers PR point of view, this makes perfect sense. Maybe a Panther fan threw it and maybe it was a Devil fan actually trying to draw a penalty on the home team. This tradition is a big part of the Panthers franchise and an important one for the fans, that if you're going to have to end it, why not just blame it on the road fans so you don't piss off your own fans? It's the smart thing to do there.

From what I did read about the guy, he seems like a tool and going back and forth with fans on twitter is never a smart thing to do, but it seems all part of the gamesmanship going on there.

Edited by devilsrule33, 24 April 2012 - 02:38 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#64 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

yeah but it's ineffectual. It's just childish - I don't give a fvck if he cries all the way to the bank -- grown men should be more respectable. He seems like a cheap piece of goods. Why is that what people WANT today? It's not that they don't want to get old it's that they want to remain children with as little accountability. yuck. but whatever...

I'm here for the party

#65 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

I hope the hockey gods are paying attention to this.

This.

When I first heard about this, I thought it was an article from The Onion.

haha so true.

Edited by ben00rs, 24 April 2012 - 02:36 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#66 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I read often but very rarely post. I just thought you would find it interesting that I had an email back and forth with Mr. Yormark after the last game concerning the Panthers broadcast commentators. I had to watch the game on NHL Network because I live in South Jersey. The NHL Network was relaying the Panthers broadcast of the game. Absolutely pathetic commentators. Every team has homers but these guys were a joke and showed little respect for the game.

#67 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

I read often but very rarely post. I just thought you would find it interesting that I had an email back and forth with Mr. Yormark after the last game concerning the Panthers broadcast commentators. I had to watch the game on NHL Network because I live in South Jersey. The NHL Network was relaying the Panthers broadcast of the game. Absolutely pathetic commentators. Every team has homers but these guys were a joke and showed little respect for the game.

If you don't mind can you elaborate on what he said when he replied?

believe-zubrus.jpg

#68 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

What was said in the emails?

#69 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

If you don't mind can you elaborate on what he said when he replied?

His replies were essentially that is was the panthers broadcast (and was I aware of that even though it was on NHL Network) and he wouldn't have expected the commentators to be impartial.

Here is my original letter and my follow up:

Dear Mr. Yormark,

First I would like to congratulate the Panthers on a fine win tonight against the team I root for, the New Jersey Devils. That being said I felt compelled to email somebody associated with the Panthers communications/broadcast department after watching the relay of the Panthers broadcast on the NHL Network. I feel the need to say that Mr. Goldstein made the game nearly unwatchable for anybody who was not a Panthers fan. I understand that every team has “homer” announcers but I also know that most announcers attempt to be objective on some level so as not to completely alienate opposing or uncommitted fans. It was as if Mr. Goldstein was not watching the same game as the rest of us. The television broadcast was done at a “bush-league” level in my opinion and has done a lot to lower my opinion of the Florida Panthers organization. It was as if the organization had never had a successful hockey game in its history before tonight (although I assume Mr. Goldstein operates at a “bush-league” level throughout the season as well). The only time he mentioned a Devils player was when a Devils player was engaged in an action that may have been a penalty, which listening to Mr. Goldstein was nearly every time a Devils player skated near a Panthers player. His comments on the last penalty given to the Panthers – a clear rough/interference – would be comical if this were some kind of “Major League” movie and Mr. Goldstein was being played by Bob Uecker. To sum things up, Mr. Goldstein would have made a good writer for Pravda during the age of the Soviet Union, and should consider moving to high school basketball games and local access television.

Thank you,

JR

Yep. I said that in my original email. I also said that I fully expect a team’s commentator to be a “homer.”

There is a difference between being a homer and being bush-league. He was bush-league. Have some respect for the game. I’ve watched many games on the NHL Network that were relays of the home broadcasts of various teams and nothing ever came close to that.

But I appreciate that you took the time to respond.

Thanks,

JR

#70 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

That was Steve Goldstein, the panthers announcer. He's a rangers fan from Brooklyn and an ex-FAN employee. It was an absolutely pathetic broadcast. The radio was even worse (I got it on XM in the car). It was a complete joke. Every Devils pass, "pass by Elias..." Every Panthers pass, "OMG what a play, TAPE TO TAPE! COAST TO COAST LIKE BUTTERED TOAST (I swear he said that LOL)! The reason the Panthers look so good tonight is that they are playing with heart, with soul, and the Devils don't have that" Crap like that all night.

I am looking forward to watching game 7 with the sound off :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#71 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

That was Steve Goldstein, the panthers announcer. He's a rangers fan from Brooklyn and an ex-FAN employee. It was an absolutely pathetic broadcast. The radio was even worse (I got it on XM in the car). It was a complete joke. Every Devils pass, "pass by Elias..." Every Panthers pass, "OMG what a play, TAPE TO TAPE! COAST TO COAST LIKE BUTTERED TOAST (I swear he said that LOL)! The reason the Panthers look so good tonight is that they are playing with heart, with soul, and the Devils don't have that" Crap like that all night.

I also wrote a similar email to the NHL Network.

His take on penalties was amazing. He wanted Carter executed because the Panther player he was racing fell down. Also, Panthers player had two arms around Parise hold him and Goldstein said it was "ticky tac." Not to mention the last penalty called on the Panthers, wow.

#72 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

http://blogs.northje...to_devils_fans/

Posted Image

#73 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Apparently this Goldstein a$$hole is also trying to blame Devils fans for the twitter blow up and that he backs Yormark.. https://twitter.com/#!/goldieonice

I've never heard his calls but he is coming across like a real a$$hole here. I never had hate for the Panthers but I hope they end up getting relocated in a few years. fvck them.

I don't know about the fighting on twitter after this but from a Panthers PR point of view, this makes perfect sense. Maybe a Panther fan threw it and maybe it was a Devil fan actually trying to draw a penalty on the home team. This tradition is a big part of the Panthers franchise and an important one for the fans, that if you're going to have to end it, why not just blame it on the road fans so you don't piss off your own fans? It's the smart thing to do there.

Is it really a tradition if the fans only get to do it once a decade?

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#74 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

For what it's worth - think LaurenAshley07 is an NJDevs poster, too... or at least she used to be. Hasn't been very active in the last few years, but definitely remember her from the boards. Different name than that on here, though.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#75 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Give him some good heckling if ya see him...

Posted Image

#76 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

For what it's worth - think LaurenAshley07 is an NJDevs poster, too... or at least she used to be. Hasn't been very active in the last few years, but definitely remember her from the boards. Different name than that on here, though.

Yeah, she is/was. LA07. Cool poster, was wondering where she went.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#77 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, she is/was. LA07. Cool poster, was wondering where she went.

I think LA posted after game 3, when we were all railing against the world lol. Didn't realize that was her.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#78 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Not sure if Devils fans have the manpower on twitter but it be jokes if she got more followers than the Panthers' President by the end of the series.

Edited by devilsrule33, 24 April 2012 - 04:37 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#79 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

lol I remember the poster but would never have put two and two together since I didn't actually know her.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#80 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Not sure if Devils fans have the manpower on twitter but it be jokes if she got more followers than the Panthers' President by the end of the series.

Well if we start a movement on NJDevs we could get her close. Just followed.

Edited by ben00rs, 24 April 2012 - 05:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users