413 replies to this topic

#321 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm a Marty defender to the bone, but his goals were brutal. If he doesn't stand on his head in game 7, I'll be very surprised. He was the only one on the ice who didn't play like it was an elimination game.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#322 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

I thought they were cooked too after they coughed up yet another lead. Usually in hockey when you get all those shots and don't score, the other team eventually gets you. What was really annoying me about not scoring was Clem looked so shaky early - and was eventually awful on the OT goal. There was some BAD goaltending in this game for a score that wound up 3-2...fvck, Lundqvist had better goaltending in the 8-5 game than either guy tonight :lol:

It's really amazing that the Devils dominated as much as they did with Zach and Elias having horse**** games. But as a team if they had played like this the whole series, it would already be over. They still have one chance to make it right Thursday, thank goodness.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 24 April 2012 - 10:33 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#323 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

What a maddening game. The fact that it was a tie game even though we dominated on shots certainly made things scary. Chico said a few times that the Devils just needed to keep plugging away. And for the most part, that's what they did. That's the main reason I wasn't down on the Devils. I didn't sense a defeatist attitude. They weren't brimming with confidence. But they weren't giving up either.

I wanted to post earlier in the game how much Kovy drives me nuts with his sloppy passes. Then he goes ahead and threads a beauty in OT. Go figure.

Someone mentioned Jeremy Roenick calling the Devils third period a farce. He might've had a point, I guess, but it still sounds a little harsh. ... What announcers called the game on the national broadcast?

after the third I walked by Chico and he was imploring the guy he was talking with to keep the faith & that the devs were getting so many chances they had to score

#324 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

I'm a Marty defender to the bone, but his goals were brutal. If he doesn't stand on his head in game 7, I'll be very surprised. He was the only one on the ice who didn't play like it was an elimination game.

Dude what? The one goal looked deflected and the other happened on a 4 on 2?
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#325 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

exactly, his time has passed. he just has to get one more win this year. I'd be shocked in we were to get 2 wins in the 2nd round with the higher level of competiton & heart that is needed. we do not have that, that's indisputable

#326 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

Regarding some of us in the "Gloom and Doom" club - I think I speak for a few us in saying that its not necessarily Marty, or Kovy - but the general attitude or urgency and resilience that seems missing from this team at key moments and its leaders.

You can see it - the frustration, the lack of focus, the scattered-element, all of this is what worries me - the mental game of this team.

Particularly when they get scored on or give up a lead - I believe in Debo and Zach has mentioned this.

Perhaps this victory was a necessary step in helping them overcome that.

Jesus christ, I thought I was being hard on them during this series...when you outshoot them by such a ridiculous margin, there was absolutely desperation. Even in the third period, they just had some - interesting passing most of the night, some of those passes were actually slapshots. You can't exactly fire a 100 MPH laser at a guy and expect it to go tape to tape.

Yes the power play was putrid, but I don't know how much more they were supposed to dominate them, outshoot them 23-6 every period?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 24 April 2012 - 10:41 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#327 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Dude what? The one goal looked deflected and the other happened on a 4 on 2?

I thought the first goal was deflected too but I only saw it in real time...the second goal yes it was a 4-on-2 but it was horrendous rebound control of a soft shot, and then Marty thought the puck went to his right and it actually went to his left. That was just brutal. He looked so uncomfortable on the night even with the saves he was making I screamed, we'd better get a goal soon and moments after Zajac obliged. I had my Tim Thomas-style exit stage left planned (running out of the building) if the OT had ended wrong, which it probably would have if it lasted another five minutes.

#328 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Now for the $1,000,000 question...Which Devils will show up game 7? lol
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#329 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

It's nuts in here.. Pure insanity.. Some woman just gave birth

lolwut?!

#330 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Brodeur was shaky, shaky. And despite outshooting them greatly, the Devils lost their composure in this game. I mean, that's what I saw. There was desperation, but there was borderline panic, too.

#331 Stolen

Stolen

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Zajac..so much swag. Look at how he handles the puck. My god.

#332 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

I thought the first goal was deflected too but I only saw it in real time...the second goal yes it was a 4-on-2 but it was horrendous rebound control of a soft shot, and then Marty thought the puck went to his right and it actually went to his left. That was just brutal. He looked so uncomfortable on the night even with the saves he was making I screamed, we'd better get a goal soon and moments after Zajac obliged. I had my Tim Thomas-style exit stage left planned (running out of the building) if the OT had ended wrong, which it probably would have if it lasted another five minutes.

That was not technically a rebound - the puck went through Marty on that play, which is why he had no idea where it was.

Devils all played great except Marty. He'll have to do better.

Yes, goals 1 and 3 by the Devils weren't the greatest plays by the Devils, but they got plenty of chances tonight. Chances are closer than the shots, but still - Florida is not going to come out like that again.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#333 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Brodeur was shaky, shaky. And despite outshooting them greatly, the Devils lost their composure in this game. I mean, that's what I saw. There was desperation, but there was borderline panic, too.

Well that much I'll agree with...there was definitely a little offensive panic after the second period, but christ I don't know who wouldn't be panicking at that point after outshooting them 16-4 and somehow being in worse shape than you started the period in. At least they didn't start giving up ****ty two-on-ones defensively until that one in the OT that nearly gave me a heart attack.

#334 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Jesus christ, I thought I was being hard on them during this series...when you outshoot them by such a ridiculous margin, there was absolutely desperation. Even in the third period, they just had some - interesting passing most of the night, some of those passes were actually slapshots. You can't exactly fire a 100 MPH laser at a guy and expect it to go tape to tape.

Yes the power play was putrid, but I don't know how much more they were supposed to dominate them, outshoot them 23-6 every period?

Whenever the Devs pile on the shots... it's almost always them just tossing the puck at the goalies glove or chest from everywhere, rather than on genuine scoring chances. Clemmer wasn't even solid... he wasn't even tested. He let in bad goals... or the D left him out to dry (Kovy PP goal)

The Devils didn't deserve that win. They lost a majority of the races, they were pushed off the puck numerously... but it's ok. We snuck by game 6... we can't do that in game 7. Zajac told Pierre that he wants to duplicate game 6... that can't happen if the Devs want to win.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#335 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Whenever the Devs pile on the shots... it's almost always them just tossing the puck at the goalies glove or chest from everywhere, rather than on genuine scoring chances. Clemmer wasn't even solid... he wasn't even tested. He let in bad goals... or the D left him out to dry (Kovy PP goal)

The Devils didn't deserve that win. They lost a majority of the races, they were pushed off the puck numerously... but it's ok. We snuck by game 6... we can't do that in game 7. Zajac told Pierre that he wants to duplicate game 6... that can't happen if the Devs want to win.

You watched a different game than me, Pierre, and Zajac. How the fvck could the Devils have lost a majority of the races if they outshot the Panthers by 3 to 1?

#336 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

At least they didn't start giving up ****ty two-on-ones defensively until that one in the OT that nearly gave me a heart attack.

Yeah, terrific job by Zach on the back check there. You're right, the Devils did not give up the odd-man rush when they were playing helter skelter. I gotta say ... I was worried they would crack. And Brodeur ... god, he handled that puck like a grenade tonight. Holy rebounds.

#337 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

People need to start throwing around the term 'bounce back' game again. For whatever reason, Marty sure loves those bounce back games.

Hopefully he has a good bounce back game on Thursday!

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#338 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

They didn't deserve the win? Come on now...fvck, I'm impressed they did win after coming up empty on so many chances AND blowing a two-goal lead again, normally that's an automatic L. They still need to win Thursday, or this season was a waste and if they do lose on Thursday you need look no further than the no-shows in Games 2 and 5, or sitting back in Game 3. But if they'd lost today, it wouldn't have been about effort or anything in 'this' game.

And they're not going to survive Thursday if Marty, Elias and Zach aren't all a whole lot better. We know about Marty's issues but Elias needs to stop sulking after the Game 3 penalty and just play again. I think Zach will at least show up but Kovy and Travis carried that line tonight.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 24 April 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#339 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

They didn't deserve the win? Come on now...fvck, I'm impressed they did win after coming up empty on so many chances AND blowing a two-goal lead again, normally that's an automatic L. They still need to win Thursday, or this season was a waste and if they do lose on Thursday you need look no further than the no-shows in Games 2 and 5, or sitting back in Game 3. But if they'd lost today, it wouldn't have been about effort or anything in 'this' game.

And they're not going to survive Thursday if Marty, Elias and Zach aren't all a whole lot better. We know about Marty's issues but Elias needs to stop sulking after the Game 3 penalty and just play again. I think Zach will at least show up but Kovy and Travis carried that line tonight.

Elias was on the ice for one Florida shot tonight. One.

#340 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

Damn, the Devils WON! Some of you need to breathe and take a step back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users