146 replies to this topic

#141 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,456 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

Jester stop bitching about the refs.  A game #6 OT you put the whistles away unless it's a hook on a clean breakaway.

Who does? You do?

Face it: not calling anything in the OT seriously favors a big, old plodding team like Philly and seriously hinders a swift transition team like Tampa.
I just think it's disgusting that they referee by the book for three periods, and then stop enforcing the rules as soon as OT hits. That goes for this or any game. Like I said, I understand not calling the petty stuff. But what are we afraid of here? Somebody winning on a power play? That never happens in regulation, does it?

<JESTER>

You just described the Devils defense when Stevens and Daneyko were playing.

Wow this explains the Devils dominant and STELLAR overtime record :rolleyes:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#142 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,438 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:17 PM

Tampa isn't a plodding team?

Sarich, Lukowich, Pratt, Kubina on defense, they're not slow, right?

Bad argument, Jester. Get out of 1997, the Flyers are only slow on defense, same with Tampa. The Flyers have Zhamnov, Amonte, Kapanen, Gagne, Recchi, etc. up front. Leclair and Primeau are the only 'plodders'.

I didn't see any unfair refereeing.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#143 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:29 PM

You just described the Devils defense when Stevens and Daneyko were playing.

While players like Stevens Dano and White can be correctly called "big and plodding," I think the Devils had more team speed than the Flyers in each of their three Cup years. The Devils were a dynamic team in the neutral zone in each of those seasons--the Flyers' forechecking in OT consisted of hugging the guy next to you like he was your best girl, until someone could force the puck behind the net.

<JESTER>
Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

#144 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:34 PM

Tampa isn't a plodding team?

Sarich, Lukowich, Pratt, Kubina on defense, they're not slow, right?

Bad argument, Jester. Get out of 1997, the Flyers are only slow on defense, same with Tampa. The Flyers have Zhamnov, Amonte, Kapanen, Gagne, Recchi, etc. up front. Leclair and Primeau are the only 'plodders'.

I didn't see any unfair refereeing.

Reechi and Zhamnov aren't going to make anyone forget Tom Chorske when it comes to speed.

I'll say it again: If the referees are going to allow everything in an overtime, which team benefits more? The team of St. Louis, Lecavalier, Modin, Richards, Boyle and Stillman, or the Flyers?

<JESTER>
Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

#145 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:24 PM

[I'll say it again: If the referees are going to allow everything in an overtime, which team benefits more? The team of St. Louis, Lecavalier, Modin, Richards, Boyle and Stillman, or the Flyers?]

Refs always put their whistles in their pockets and leave them there once OT starts in the playoffs, Jester. It's how it's always been and how it will always be. It's the nature of the beast. No ref wants to be the one who helped decide a series or a cup-winning game by whistling guys off to the sin bin short of decapitation, dismemberment, and amputation.

Both teams got away with a lot of crap last night in the extra session and DAMN did it make for some absolutely GREAT hockey.

What a series this has been!!! :dance:

IceThief
In honor of one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game, I remain to this day and forever after a lifetime member of the Scott Stevens Fan Club:

"If you ever had to describe what a Devil player would be," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, "the name would be Scott Stevens."

"He was just huge," Devils left wing Patrik Elias said of walking into training camp the first time in 1995. "I was afraid of him. You had a 170-pound guy coming here and he was 220, 225 with these paws like a bear. I was pretty intimidated the first few years. I'm happy he was on my side the whole time."

#146 Pablo

Pablo

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:32 PM

Hahahaha!!!! Oh, *wipes tear*, you people are too much, with your conspiracy theories and all. Philly raped tampa, and no calls? The non-calls were absolutely HORENDOUS on both sides, please. How did anyone miss the 6 men on the ice for Tampa? How about the raping of Handzus when he was on a partial breakaway? Yet, none of this is mentioned.

BTW, you have GOT to be kidding me about the Thorne/Clement thing, about them loving the Flyers. 80-90% of their jabber is all about Lecavalier and St. Loois, and how good they are, and how unstoppable they are, etc. etc. Jeez, your haterd for the Flyers has really blindd you to the truth, with HILARIOUS RESULTS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#147 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:58 PM

I agree, Don, I see Tampa getting smoked on home ice. They had all the breaks this game, were getting thoroughly dominated, and were still winning, yet they couldn't finish it.

Well you picked a helluva time to be wrong for once :) :evil:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users