72 replies to this topic

#1 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I don't care what the excuse is. He is the reason we lost.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#2 ringtwins

ringtwins

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

If he's injured , free zharkov
You do know that Devil fans are so used to being in the playoffs that people save their money for the later rounds, right? Triumph

#3 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

He wasn't the reason we lost (Philly dominated, just look at the shot totals), but he is definitely hurt and and he certainly isn't helping us. It really might be better to get a healthy body in there (as long as it's not Boulton or Janssen).

It's pretty clear that he is lacking that explosive speed he usually has. Groin or leg injury?
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#4 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Simply, no he wasn't and even you know that's wrong. I would never say bench him. The options suck. Just stop using him so much. Dump him to a third line and play him in that role.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#5 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Do we really need 'three' threads including the GDT devoted to bashing Kovy? They don't have anyone available that's going to play more than 8-10 minutes at best, and none of them could even get the offensive production of the 30% Kovy we've seen in the playoffs.

And Kovy's not the reason they were utterly dominated the last 45 minutes.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 29 April 2012 - 05:38 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#6 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

One thing that would help is not have him on the damn penalty kill. Who the hell thought that was a good idea??
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#7 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Kovy is a presence and that's what's sustaining him. Unfortunately, too many unforced errors and too little hustle. I don't know who's available, but if we sit Kovy for a game or two, what about Tedenby?

#8 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

One thing that would help is not have him on the damn penalty kill. Who the hell thought that was a good idea??

Exactly. None of that moving forward. You have Parise, Elias, Zubrus, Zajac, Henrique, Carter and Gionta who I would trust in that role.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#9 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Kovy is a presence and that's what's sustaining him. Unfortunately, too many unforced errors and too little hustle. I don't know who's available, but if we sit Kovy for a game or two, what about Tedenby?

I sort of agree but playing hockey myself and having a pulled groin like 5 times wont matter, one little tweak a couple days later and its back to square one. Needs a month minimum. Only reason he is not sitting is because he is out there they still have to respect his shot. The options do suck but we NEED more speed.
Posted Image

#10 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

I really don't know how kovy was the primary reason why we lost be like everyone had said it is obvious something is wrong with him physically.

Anything short of him having a broken back he is still a better option than anyone sitting unless you want to play with seven defenseman and put in larsson and even then I have my doubts with that

#11 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

c'mon now. do you think ilya kovalchuk will be benched? lets think through our ideas before starting a thread...

#12 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

His hip or groin, whichever it is, is going to pop at some point anyway, so you're of that mind, just wait it out. He had a real awkward skating move in Game 7 where he had to go laterally, and I thought that was it right there.

He does need to learn how to clear the zone, though. That was particularly ugly, even on the last play he could have stayed on the board and jammed the puck up, he peeled off instead. The same play that got Larsson benched for the rest of the season. :lol:

#13 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

Anyone who thinks Kovy is THE reason why we lost needs to get their head examined. When you get outshot 30-11 in the last couple of periods, take stupid penalties like no tomorrow and give up ENGs you're not going to win.

#14 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

fine play him on the pp but limit his mins
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#15 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Sup mayday, who are you?

Okay, maybe he isn't the only reason we lost. But he's a major factor. If he plays like he played in the regular season for just one shift the outcome of the game may have changed. He generated nothing, missed on everything, and was one of the key players at fault on 2 of the Flyers goals (didn't cover his point in overtime, and turned it over pretty horrificly on the Briere breakaway). The simple fact is, he was the worst player on the ice today. If he comes out like this in game 2, I don't want to see double digit minutes.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#16 INLOUWETRUST

INLOUWETRUST

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

He is not the reason we lost but Kovi is playing so soft right now it is killing me. I rather see Bernier play in his spot and just use Kovi for the power play. The man can not move out there right now. Our overall lack of team speed is really showing thur, especilly our D men. Time for Lou to pull a Holmgrem this summer and make some moves for a younger faster team. Our D get beat to the outside so often now I can't keep track. Maybe time to get Larsson some playoff exp. Can't be any worse than Volchenkov flopping around out there.
334 Club member

#17 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

I hate to point fingers but Marty tossed that win in the gutter by that bonehead pass out to center of the slot.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#18 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Sup mayday, who are you?

Okay, maybe he isn't the only reason we lost. But he's a major factor. If he plays like he played in the regular season for just one shift the outcome of the game may have changed. He generated nothing, missed on everything, and was one of the key players at fault on 2 of the Flyers goals (didn't cover his point in overtime, and turned it over pretty horrificly on the Briere breakaway). The simple fact is, he was the worst player on the ice today. If he comes out like this in game 2, I don't want to see double digit minutes.

he must be injured and in that case he should be out but who do you put in without taking away the ability of rolling 4 lines that can actually play the game?

i do agree though. im going to assume he is injured and in that case he should be playing only the power play where he can still be effective.

but at the end of the day he wont be benched. he played like this last round and he wasn't benched. no reason for him to be benched now.

Edited by Mayday, 29 April 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#19 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

I hate to point fingers but Marty tossed that win in the gutter by that bonehead pass out to center of the slot.

no, he didn't. They had like 35 shots and 25 scoring chances. if that doesn't happen or he makes two saves or he makes the first save and someone decides to play defense, something else ends up going in.

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,438 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

In the regular season, there's an argument that Kovalchuk was the best penalty killing forward in the league. Even without his burst, he's decent at getting sticks into lanes and closing on defenders.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users