• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Book hockey

Book hockey

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

If you tender Giroux an offer this will do nothing but piss off the Flyers. They will not let him go to a division rival. Lou won't do it because the Flyers would make him pay dearly with any RFA Devils that are woth a dam. The Flyers have enough money they can play games with the Devils, lets remember they were always top three teams spending wise before the salary cap.

#22 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Lou finds offer sheets not kosher, so I doubt he tries to sign an RFA that could potentially cost multiple 1st rounders when we still have to give one up soon.

#23 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

If you tender Giroux an offer this will do nothing but piss off the Flyers. They will not let him go to a division rival. Lou won't do it because the Flyers would make him pay dearly with any RFA Devils that are woth a dam. The Flyers have enough money they can play games with the Devils, lets remember they were always top three teams spending wise before the salary cap.

Lou finds offer sheets not kosher, so I doubt he tries to sign an RFA that could potentially cost multiple 1st rounders when we still have to give one up soon.

I honestly don't think these are considerations. First of all, as a poster mentioned before, if the first rounders were low (I'd say 20 or after) then I would say Giroux would be worth four first rounders. After all, look at what four 20+ first rounders would get you. If you are VERY lucky/good you can get a player like Zach Parise about one out of four times I'd wager; so it is essentially a wash, although I would have to admit, reluctantly, that Giroux is better than Zach will ever be. Now the fact we have to give up a first rounder soon hurts, but remember that tendering Giroux would come in 2014, so we would be able to take this into account.

As for pissing off the Flyers, I dare say so what? They might have been able to out spend us before the cap, but these are the days of the cap and we all live under the same limitations. As for them messing with us, this doesn't much worry me either. I honestly don't think that whether we attempt to sign Giroux to an offer sheet will affect how the Flyers conduct their business. after all, when the Rags stole Gomez did we try to raid their roster? Not trying to sign Giroux will gain us zero brownie points with the Flyers and trying to sign him will irk them momentarily. IMHO, you are thinking like a fan and the fans will carry a grudge if we pulled this off.... The Flyers front office would simply carry on.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#24 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Say what you want about their questionable IQ level, but Flyers fans are rabid and enormous in numbers. Players like that, like playing in front of that, like having that have their back. It also means endorsement money as well. I can't see why he would go from the Flyers to the Devils, I honestly can't see why any player would. Go from a packed house for an Oilers game to partially filled with Rags fans for a Rags game?

I think the Flyers will make him happy and he won't get to RFA or UFA any time soon.

Edited by jim777, 01 May 2012 - 02:47 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#25 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

How about instead of thinking about signing him we just start hitting him frequently and often and see how good he is when his is limping around

c'mon people ... it's the playoffs... f-anyone on the other team
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#26 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

How about instead of thinking about signing him we just start hitting him frequently and often and see how good he is when his is limping around

Posted Image

#27 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

LOL! I have to say I relly like this. Even tho I started this thread I will second this motion. Let's knock Giroux out and call Kovy sitting a wash.

Scott Stevens, calling Scott Stevens.... Your presence in requested On the ice tonight!

Mr. Giroux meet Mr. Stevens. Now Mr. Giroux meet Mr. Sheet of Ice. No worries Mr. Giroux, Misters Gurney and Ambulance will be arriving shortly to make your acquaintance. Have a nice evening. :P
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users