90 replies to this topic

#41 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Obviously it's very bad for us to lose Kovy, but considering his main contributions in the previous 8 games, we're mainly going to be missing minutes. The PP is going to be much worse (!). Going to be interesting to see how they respond...I don't envy DeBoer's position.

#42 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

The guy has 0 goals in 64 NHL games. He's like Clarkson if you removed the goal-scoring talent and added more falling down. The 4th line will get annihilated tonight, it's just a question of whether Brodeur can make the stops.

This means he is due for a hattrick

#43 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

I don't know why, but I prefer Taormina over Larsson. We'll see what plays out tonight, if Harrold really is moved up as a Forward..
Put food on my family

#44 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

It just sucks that this team has had to deal with so many injuries to key players the last couple of years. This loss hurts more than most because of the timing and who we are playing. Kovy is a game changer when healthy, and since Bryz is shaky at best in these playoffs, we needed Kovy's shot to help us win these games. But he hasn't been himself since game 3 of the FLA series. He became a liability on the ice the last few games, and this is the right move.

What is it about Sestito that infatuates Lou, I will never know. I would rather see Zharkov up and playing instead of him, but it looks like the lineup will have Harrold on wing and Larsson on D so we might not have to worry about it.

Hopefully they can grit out a win tonight. I personally don't think we'll see Kovy play before game 4 at the earliest, as it would give him another 5 days to rest. Tonight is a must win, and Marty needs to stand on his head to get it.
Posted Image

#45 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

i wouldn't worry too much, i think we will see him back on sunday.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#46 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Man, I feel so bad for Kovy. The guy has a genuine desire to just win, would do whatever it takes. And he is hurt in his first-time second round action. It must be killing him that he can't play. Get better soon Ilya...

I agree 110% this guy will do anything to win and now he has to sit this must be killing him. Get better soon come back strong and kick some Philthy ass Kovy!!! LGD!!!!!

#47 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,890 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

i wouldn't worry too much, i think we will see him back on sunday.

Only if we're down 3-0 by then. At this point now that he's out of the lineup, he'll be out a 'while' I think, at least until our next elimination game.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#48 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Trying to be positive, he added nothing to us in game one and was very shaky on a couple of the Flyers goals. By that thinking, its a net gain.

#49 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

It all depends on the type and severity of his injury. And nobody will know whether it is improving until he is put back into the lineup, which could be next game or next year at this point.
Posted Image

#50 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Trying to be positive, he added nothing to us in game one and was very shaky on a couple of the Flyers goals. By that thinking, its a net gain.

True. But not having him on the PP definitely hurts as, even though he wasn't playing well, the Flyers always had a player up on the point to prevent him from gettng off his shot during game 1. With how weak shooting our D are, not having him there to open passing lanes will allow them to collapse the box and force everything to come from the outside. However, it's not like we can pass the puck on a PP anyway, so maybe you're right after all.

BTW...love the "Defend Jersey" thing. They should put that on a T shirt and/or towel and give those out at Game 3.
Posted Image

#51 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks man. I came up with the idea but suck at photoshop. Scott04 at HFBoards did a real nice job.

http://hfboards.hock...1002765&page=36

#52 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Larsson's confirmed to be playing, Harrold's at RW, as per Tom Gulitti.

#53 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Larsson in at D.

Harrold on wing.

Just confirmed.
DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#54 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Lou confirmed it was a "day-to-day lower-body injury".

This reminds me of earlier this season. DeBo said someone was out with an upper-body injury. Lou said it was lower-body. When asked about the discrepancy, DeBo said it's a middle-body injury.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#55 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Really hoping the team rallies around this and grinds out a win tonight. Everyone needs to raise their game.

#56 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

much better than sestito

i like larsson to get his chance, i think philly is worried about him

dont like breaking up the CBGBs
Posted Image

#57 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Sucks. Kovy finally makes it out of the first round and is now stuck with an injury.

Edited by mmajeski06, 01 May 2012 - 11:23 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#58 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Kovalchuk hurt us more than he helped us in game 1. If he isn't significantly in better condition from his injury, I don't see any reason why people should be upset at this announcement. This, by the way, is coming from one of the board's biggest Kovy-kool-aid drinkers.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#59 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Sestito is the trash they took up from Albany?
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#60 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Not worried about it. Kovy wasnt producing at the level he should b in the playoffs while being hurt anyway. Id much rather have a healthy body in there. Also to be quite honest, Larsson being in makes me a little nervous. I dont know if he is really up for the challenge just yet. I guess we will see.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users