92 replies to this topic

#41 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

Um, is this a joke? Pierre McGuire himself has his name on the Stanley Cup as an assistant coach with the Penguins, and Olczyk won as a player with the Rangers.

I forgot about olczyk but McGuire as an assistant GM barely counts as a lot of times it's a ceremonial job.

#42 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

At one point in the second period, the Devils had outshot the Flyers 10-0. That D**k with ears was trying to convince us that the Flyers had the game under control. Even with his weeping boyfriend JR in the booth, anyone can see that the Devils dominated every aspect of this game. With the exception of the one Marty (**a Marty is when Brodeur makes a bonehead play and gives up a goal) and 5 minutes to start the game, this was a no contest. So Mr. Shaq wannabee, go take your deadpan, Lurchlike voice and kiss our a**es!!!

#43 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Between all of the analysts and announcers on NBC, how many silver things have they won?

I am having trouble naming one an the closets ones are Barry as coach if the kings and JR on the blakhawks.

I hate Pierre, but I hate Roenick just as much. Ever since his lockout comments about the fans, how they "don't f#%king get it", and now his arrogant attitude, like he's some sort of hockey guru because he's an analyst for NBC...

I guess they all feel that way being on national television

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#44 RichL

RichL

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Let me add my name to this illustrious group. Can't stand the guy. I don't know what game he was watching, the Flyers were far from comfortable after the first period.

In fairness, he does fluff Parise a lot. But it's nothing the way he fellates the Penguins.

#45 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image Am I not turtle-enough for the Turtle Club? Turtle, turtle!

Edited by Legion15, 02 May 2012 - 11:32 AM.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#46 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Posted Image

This is about what our "Devils board memebers"(70/30) think, so it's not just "us" Devils fans that don't like the guy.
Whether he knows hockey or not, he should never ever be so one sided when commenting during a game, especially trying to "build up" the team that is struggling.
Do Not Like

Edited by hargsy, 02 May 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#47 RichL

RichL

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

I think you'll find the majority of the fan bases can't stand the guy.

#48 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,039 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Didn't hear him last night but listened to him on the radio this morning. Gave all the credit to NJ last night for the huge win and thinks they will be an extremely tough out in the East. Very complimentary.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#49 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Didn't hear him last night but listened to him on the radio this morning. Gave all the credit to NJ last night for the huge win and thinks they will be an extremely tough out in the East. Very complimentary.

what radio station?
cause I think it depends on where he is when he gives the truth or the bull, and it seems that when he's on national TV (like NBCS last night) he is full of s***, but when he's on a local radio show, he tells it more like it is?

Edited by hargsy, 02 May 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#50 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,039 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

what radio station?
cause I think it depends on where he is when he gives the truth or the bull, and it seems that when he's on national TV (like NBCS last night) he is full of s***, but when he's on a local radio show, he tells it more like it is?

Can't argue with that. He does a daily radio hot for a sports station in Ottawa. Here is the link to it if you like.

http://autopod.ca/chum/22/podcasts/

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#51 ice&tape

ice&tape

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Agreed, was really hard to listen to especially in the first period when we were behind. In the Third, he really had to feel like a tool.

#52 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Can't argue with that. He does a daily radio hot for a sports station in Ottawa. Here is the link to it if you like.

http://autopod.ca/chum/22/podcasts/

Thanks I'll check it out.

#53 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

He wasn't complimentary during the game, though. Now he's like an as**ole politician, toeing the party line after the opponent he's been trashing wins the primary.

#54 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,273 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Eh, look at who he works for and with. I wouldn't be shocked if he felt he had to toe the company line during games even if it wasn't what he himself wants to say.

It does sound as if he had some Chico-like moments during the game, maybe I was better off not watching the first two periods lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 May 2012 - 10:52 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#55 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Along with nearly everyone else here, I find McGuire hard to listen to quite often. However -- excepting for the true Flyers haters -- I think most everyone across the country wants a Flyers-Rangers Conference Final and probably assumes it's a highly likely to happen. So it makes sense to me that the focus in this series mostly will be on Philly -- until the Devils show the country they have what it takes to beat them. Last night was a great start.

#56 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Guys, when he's doing NBC games, Comcast is paying his paycheck. Comcast owns the Flyers. He wants the paycheck, he's a company man.

It's just like the '03 finals when Steve Levy had Wild Wing's long duck dong halfway down his throat. ESPN, owned by Disney, which owned the Ducks at the time...

It's not a coincidence.

#57 daneyko_booster

daneyko_booster

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

I forgot about olczyk but McGuire as an assistant GM barely counts as a lot of times it's a ceremonial job.

He was never assistant GM with the Penguins, he was an assistant COACH, which wasn't likely a ceremonial position.

I hate him as much as the next guy, but I have to give him credit where its due.

The thing I hate most is how he makes up his own vocabulary for things that the rest of the hockey world already has generally accepted terms. He does it to make himself look smart, but it just makes him seem pompous. I can't believe any players had respect for him as a coach talking like that.

My favourite Pierre Mcguire moment was the gheyest thing anyone has ever said as a hockey announcer. I can't remember what player it was, but it was a Canadian in the World Junior Tournament. He said a player was an S and M type player because he was willing to go to the net and take his punishment. I almost couldn't believe my ears, and I think it betrays his true feelings about the players he admires. He wouldn't be dishing it out though, Pierre is clearly a bottom.
Official Keeper of Ken Daneyko's missing teeth, Jeff Friesen's moustache, Shanahan's Pub in the CAA concourse (only place you could buy Guinness). Unofficial Keeper of Wayne Gretzky's perm.

#58 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

He was never assistant GM with the Penguins, he was an assistant COACH, which wasn't likely a ceremonial position.

I hate him as much as the next guy, but I have to give him credit where its due.

The thing I hate most is how he makes up his own vocabulary for things that the rest of the hockey world already has generally accepted terms. He does it to make himself look smart, but it just makes him seem pompous. I can't believe any players had respect for him as a coach talking like that.

My favourite Pierre Mcguire moment was the gheyest thing anyone has ever said as a hockey announcer. I can't remember what player it was, but it was a Canadian in the World Junior Tournament. He said a player was an S and M type player because he was willing to go to the net and take his punishment. I almost couldn't believe my ears, and I think it betrays his true feelings about the players he admires. He wouldn't be dishing it out though, Pierre is clearly a bottom.

Holy sh!t, that's pretty fvcking weird. Last night he called Bryzgalov 'exquisite'. That's right up there in weirdness.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#59 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Pierre McGuire is a Bergen Catholic grad, as am I.

Other than that, I have nothing nice to say.

#60 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

This sums up Pierre McGuire perfectly:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users