42 replies to this topic

#41 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,981 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

I didn't say they aren't the three major aspects, how is someone going to argue against that? My point is there is much more to being a successful hockey team than penalty shots.

If your team is successful enough to win, you'll do so in 65 minutes. If the teams are so evenly matched in that specific game, a tie-breaking penalty shot contest is exciting for the players, for the fans, and allows for the true skills of each team to be showcased. I don't see how you'd rather watch a tie than see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrEaR25Z81U&feature=related

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#42 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

If your team is successful enough to win, you'll do so in 65 minutes. If the teams are so evenly matched in that specific game, a tie-breaking penalty shot contest is exciting for the players, for the fans, and allows for the true skills of each team to be showcased. I don't see how you'd rather watch a tie than see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrEaR25Z81U&feature=related

Honestly I don't find it exciting and shootout wins leave me feeling like they weren't good enough to win the game but were able to win a shootout, it really doesn't feel much better than a tie for me other than the fact that they still got away with 2 points. I completely disagree with it allowing true skills of each team to be showcased. It showcases the shooting or deking skills of usually 6 skaters while the other 30 sit on the bench and watch. There are no team skills used in the shootout that are essential to hockey, like passing, defense, forechecking, transitioning, cycling etc, and about 80% of the players don't even participate.

But like you said, you aren't going to convince me and I doubt I'm going to convince you either so we might as well just agree to disagree unless we're going to go back and forth forever.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#43 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

I think they should do what the NFL does and flip a coin to decide the winner.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users