58 replies to this topic

#21 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/claude-giroux-hit-head-dainius-zubrus-devils-minor-014045948.html

I find it hilarious that the NHL went so far as to put in a 2 minute minor for "Illegal Check to the Head" but didn't think a 5 minute one should be added as well. Still if the refs wanted they could have given him a 5 minute interference, elbowing or charging major.

#22 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

The refs tried their best to help filthy out tonight. 2 mins for this infraction is bs. Giroux should be suspended but the league won't do anything.

#23 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

I don't know if this is a plausible scenario, but I could see Shanny hold off a decision for a couple days. Basically wait to see if the Phailures are eliminated on Tuesday. If they are then I bet Giroux gets suspended starting the beginning of next season. If they aren't eliminated on Tuesday then Shanny would have a real problem since Giroux really needs to be suspended. I suspect that the NHL will give Giroux preferential treatment here, but if they can have their cake and eat it too by letting Giroux finish the series and then suspend him that is what I think they will do.

Otoh, I don't know if there is any precedent for waiting extra time to decide. Is there?
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#24 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,853 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:12 AM

I don't necessarily like this headshot rule because far too often guys get suspended because of accidental contact with the head. This however was clear as day.

Heh. Got a chuckle out of this thread title. 7 ROUTINELY calls the league a joke, and then says "the league is a joke IF...".

In any case, talking with fans of other teams or reading the TSN comments, by far most agree that this is suspension worthy.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#25 munichdevil

munichdevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

Personally I couldn't care less if Giroux is suspended or not. I think he deserves a couple of games but the Devils will beat them anyway. Also, I wouldn't want anybody on the Devs feel it will be easier in game 5 if Giroux is out, just like the Flyers might have thought when Ilya missed the game. Give us their best possible lineup and beat their butts anyways. :horse:

#26 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

First time offender. I'm expecting a $2,500 fine and a warning about his next offense.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#27 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

I don't want him suspended, he's as frustrated as anyone out there for the Flyers. As I've told any Phily fan I've seen so far today, he looked like Crosby (in a bad way) out there last night with all the whining. I think if he's out, it gives the rest of the Flyers something to rally around.

First time offender. I'm expecting a $2,500 fine and a warning about his next offense.

Exactly, same as what happened to Elias during the season.

#28 itsfknnikp

itsfknnikp

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Two main factors at play:

1. Intent. Giroux intentionally went after Zubrus in a wreckless fashion. If the intent wasn't there this wouldn't be an issue.
2. Credibility. Shanahan was brought in to provide some level of consistency to player safety. The video explanation charade speaks to that. There has to be a penalty, whether a fine or suspension. Admittedly I don't follow these rulings to say what that penalty should be.

#29 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hearing coming up this morning.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#30 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Hearing is set for 11:00am this morning.

#31 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

Giroux dealt with concussion issues this year, so I like to think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it was a malicious, intent-to-injure hit, but it was cheap and reckless, and something that needs to be eliminated from hockey. Watching the replay, he definitely threw his shoulder. If you're going to draw a line, you have to stick to it, whether its a guy getting blow up coming across the middle or a cheap shot behind they play. Giroux claims he's "not a dirty player", ok, I believe that, but it doesn't mean that it wasn't a dirty play.

Edited by Jmorc2003, 07 May 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#32 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Exactly this. He was heading for Zubrus in anger, and hit his head, but I don't think Shanahan will suspend him regardless. The fine i think is a good possibility though. Is isn't really worse than Zetterberg's head getting slammed into the glass after the final whistle in round 1.

I would personally rather beat them in their house with Giroux on the ice as well. the Flyers fans will boo them all if they aren't up by a field goal at the end of 1. Should be a great game on Tuesday :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#33 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

The thing that really helps Giroux is that Zubrus came back, contributed, and played well. If Zubrus stays in the dressing room and is listed as Questionable for tomorrow, this is probably a 1 game suspension. Instead, with Giroux having no criminal record before now, this is going to be a max fine. The hit is to the side of the head, and it comes a while after the puck is gone, but it's a star player with no record, against a taller opponent who's leaning a bit over and barely missed any game time.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#34 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

My main problem with what happened was the bloody fvcking INTENT to injure.

As he skates away from the official in the Devils' zone, he turns, skates as hard as he can all the way up ice, and blindside hits Zubrus (WHO DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE PUCK ANYMORE) with his shoulder- square to the jaw. It's as if, Giroux skates away from the official and says, "You're not gonna call that? Then I'll give you something to call."

What a fvcking classless piece of trash. Such maliciousness in this sport is despicable.
Put food on my family

#35 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

NHLWheelOfJustice.com says Giroux will receive a "Paltry Fine" for his hit.

[I felt like the Animaniacs right there, wheel of morality turn turn turn]

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#36 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

... he's as frustrated as anyone out there for the Flyers. As I've told any Phily fan I've seen so far today, he looked like Crosby (in a bad way) out there last night with all the whining. ...

... As he skates away from the official in the Devils' zone, he turns, skates as hard as he can all the way up ice, and blindside hits Zubrus (WHO DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE PUCK ANYMORE) with his shoulder- square to the jaw. It's as if, Giroux skates away from the official and says, "You're not gonna call that? Then I'll give you something to call." ...

No doubt about it, he's definitely frustrated, which is great for the Devils. I hope he doesn't get suspended just for that reason alone.

#37 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

When Kovalchuk did not play game 2, the Devils beat them 4-1 and when Ilya returned, he dominates. Subtracting Giroux on Tuesday might bring the best of the Flyers. So, I would rather see him frustrated on the ice.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#38 pleasepassthesoup

pleasepassthesoup

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Ideally, Giroux will play and get laid out on a clean hit by the A-Train.

#39 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

This hit looked very very similar to the other hit Zubrus took earlier in the season from Tyler Myers. Although this time he took a shoulder to the head rather than an elbow. I mention the previous hit on Zubrus because it appears as if Zubrus was hunched over slightly or leaning forward a bit, so I'm not holding my breath on this one, seeing as the Myers hit wasn't seen as suspendable.

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

This hit looked very very similar to the other hit Zubrus took earlier in the season from Tyler Myers. Although this time he took a shoulder to the head rather than an elbow. I mention the previous hit on Zubrus because it appears as if Zubrus was hunched over slightly or leaning forward a bit, so I'm not holding my breath on this one, seeing as the Myers hit wasn't seen as suspendable.

I agree but Zubrus had moved his head position on that hit. On this one he was skating the same way all the way up the ice. Giroux should be suspended but he will get the $2500 fine since Zubrus wasn't hurt.

And I also agree that Giroux was mouthing off to the officials all night when his line wasn't penned in the Devils end. He was on the ice for 3 Flyer shots at 5 on 5 - not a good night.

Edited by Triumph, 07 May 2012 - 10:59 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users