58 replies to this topic

#41 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I agree but Zubrus had moved his head position on that hit. On this one he was skating the same way all the way up the ice. Giroux should be suspended but he will get the $2500 fine since Zubrus wasn't hurt.

And I also agree that Giroux was mouthing off to the officials all night when his line wasn't penned in the Devils end. He was on the ice for 3 Flyer shots at 5 on 5 - not a good night.

The Flyers and their fans, despite always getting all over Crosby about whining, are the biggest whiners in the league. They dish out dirty hits like it's going outta style, then as soon as anything even borderline happens to a Flyer, it's wah wah wah wah the refs hate us, the league hates us, etc. I mean, I know our fans can get like that, but that's only because we're right.

#42 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

I really think all the players went through "Don't Suspend Me" media training this season, you could make bingo cards for them:

"I didn't see the replay, but..."
"I'm not a dirty player"
"Just trying to finish my check"

#43 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

This hit looked very very similar to the other hit Zubrus took earlier in the season from Tyler Myers. Although this time he took a shoulder to the head rather than an elbow. I mention the previous hit on Zubrus because it appears as if Zubrus was hunched over slightly or leaning forward a bit, so I'm not holding my breath on this one, seeing as the Myers hit wasn't seen as suspendable.

They were similar, but Myers went through the motions of a normal hit. The combination of his height and Zubrus being hunched down made it an unfortunate coincidence that the primary point of contact was his head. Giroux, on the other hand, visibly raised his shoulder into Zubrus's jaw. If he went through the motions of a normal hit like Myers did, there wouldn't have been head contact. Instead, he went out of his way to make the head his primary point of contact.

All that said, I still don't think Giroux is a dirty player per se. I think he was just fuming and let his emotions cloud his judgement for a moment. Thankfully Zubrus is OK.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#44 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

They were similar, but Myers went through the motions of a normal hit. The combination of his height and Zubrus being hunched down made it an unfortunate coincidence that the primary point of contact was his head. Giroux, on the other hand, visibly raised his shoulder into Zubrus's jaw. If he went through the motions of a normal hit like Myers did, there wouldn't have been head contact. Instead, he went out of his way to make the head his primary point of contact.

All that said, I still don't think Giroux is a dirty player per se. I think he was just fuming and let his emotions cloud his judgement for a moment. Thankfully Zubrus is OK.

True. The Myers hit did appear as if he was going to hit him and it just so happened that it was his elbow that made contact first. Giroux, to me at least, appeared to try to jump into Zubrus' head a bit. That being said, they were very very similar and I have ZERO faith in the NHL, be it Shanny or anyone else, to make any kind of ruling that could possibly be construed as fair and competent.

#45 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

So what's the ruling? I heard there was gonna be a hearing at 11?

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#46 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,791 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

He won't get suspended. Zubrus was fine after and the league doesn't want to appear to be effecting the outcome, which is the real reason star players tend to fare better in the disciplinary process.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#47 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

True. The Myers hit did appear as if he was going to hit him and it just so happened that it was his elbow that made contact first. Giroux, to me at least, appeared to try to jump into Zubrus' head a bit. That being said, they were very very similar and I have ZERO faith in the NHL, be it Shanny or anyone else, to make any kind of ruling that could possibly be construed as fair and competent.

As much as I'd like to see Shanny throw the book at him, I think the right call here would be a $2,500 fine. Zubes wasn't hurt (as much as I dislike injury severity as a criteria by which punishment is measured) and it's Giroux's first offense. If he doesn't even get the fine, I'll be disappointed. If he gets suspended, I'll be shocked.
Posted Image

#48 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

The reasoning behind the suspensions is terrible - talking about whether the player hit is hurt or not. Total complete garbage. They have to be consistent. They want to remove headshots from the game because of LONG TERM brain damage. Just because the player is not hurt now, does not mean it will not lead to trouble down the road.

#49 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

This might be the closest thing to the Giroux hit that's already gone through Shanahan. If you listen to his explanation, every single thing he says applies to Giroux. Being that MacArthur got two regular season games, I'm curious to see what the exchange rate is for the playoffs.
Posted Image

#50 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsAr_Hrn068

This might be the closest thing to the Giroux hit that's already gone through Shanahan. If you listen to his explanation, every single thing he says applies to Giroux. Being that MacArthur got two regular season games, I'm curious to see what the exchange rate is for the playoffs.

Good catch, if they want to be consistent they should at least give Giroux 1.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#51 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

I doubt he gets suspended, but that hit seems to be exactly what they are allegedly trying to legislate out of the game.
Posted Image

#52 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

No Giroux next game would be a blow to the lineup for Philly. Don't expect one though. Would be pleasantly surprised if there is one.

#53 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

No Giroux next game would be a blow to the lineup for Philly. Don't expect one though. Would be pleasantly surprised if there is one.

Guess you're pleasantly surprised?

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#54 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/NHLFlyers/status/199574710550409216

BREAKING NEWS: Claude Giroux was given a 1 game suspension by the NHL for a hit on Dainius Zubrus during the 2nd period of last night’s game

I can't believe the NHL had the balls to do that. Hats off to Shanahan for making my cynicism seem foolish.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#55 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

well done nhl
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#56 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Justice has been.... SERVED.

#57 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

well, I bet the Philly fan hives are buzzing about this....either way, he had to receive something serious for that sh!t. I mean you can tell it was blatant to begin with when he threatened the ref, skated up and turned his back to the play to mouth off again. Then realizing he fvcked up wasting that time took it upon himself to nail Zubrus in the head to stop him getting to the puck.

FVCK YOU GIROUX!

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#58 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

I disagree, Giroux was suspended but the league is still a joke.

#59 JerseysFinest732

JerseysFinest732

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

I disagree, Giroux was suspended but the league is still a joke.

lol I agree, the league has been so inconsistent this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users