58 replies to this topic

#1 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,815 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

I don't necessarily like this headshot rule because far too often guys get suspended because of accidental contact with the head

This however was clear as day.

Zubrus got rid of the puck well before the hit

Giroux targeted his head CLEARLY...he could've rubbed him out with a shoulder, or not even hit him at all. Instead out of frustration (something that might've happened 15-20 seconds before, frankly I'm not sure) he took it out on Zubrus by socking him in the head with a clear intent to injure

This is a TEXTBOOK suspension. Late, lost his cool, targeted the head, and zubrus was down injured for at least 45 seconds or so
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

I agree, but we'll see if the league has the balls to do something about it.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#3 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

I agree but I don't see it happening knowing this league.

No Giroux on Tuesday would be HUGE.

#4 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

I don't necessarily like this headshot rule because far too often guys get suspended because of accidental contact with the head

Giroux targeted his head CLEARLY...he could've rubbed him out with a shoulder, or not even hit him at all. Instead out of frustration (something that might've happened 15-20 seconds before, frankly I'm not sure) he took it out on Zubrus by socking him in the head with a clear intent to injure

This is a TEXTBOOK suspension. Late, lost his cool, targeted the head, and zubrus was down injured for at least 45 seconds or so

I am so happy that NJ won I don't have it in me to complain right now. At this 3-1 point lets have faith that Giroux's presence is irrelevant anyway. This team will get it done if "the best player in the world" is on the ice for game 5 or not. This doesn't mean I don't agree with you though.

Edited by NJDevils1214, 06 May 2012 - 09:42 PM.

815631765.gif

#5 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Nothing will be done, I'm sure of it.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#6 Devilsrock01

Devilsrock01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

like i said in the other thread it will be 100% suspension

byebye giroux and byebye flyers

Posted Image

#7 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

If he is suspended, the flyers could rally around him being out.... i don't wish for it. Lets beat them again w/o him!
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#8 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

He will not be suspended, there's no way. I am happy to get the win. Flyers will be Flyers.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#9 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Obviously the thing Shanny wanted to do something about. The Flyers are playing like crap and their only desperate move is to try and take out one of our guys with an injury. Just the Flyers being their typical scumbag selves

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#10 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

No way he is suspended. Fine at most. Quite possibly a reward.

#11 USAkid90

USAkid90

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

He's a superstar, he's in the playoffs, this series is in our favor.

In short, he won't get suspended sadly.

#12 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

At the same time Torres gets 25 games. He is now appealing the length of the suspension. NHL looks really sh*tty in that case if Giroux walks away with nothing.

Then again, Shea Weber smashed a dudes head into the glass WWE style and got nothing.

Personally, I don't want him suspended. I wouldn't want to have the Flyers to have anything to rally behind.

Edited by mmajeski06, 06 May 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#13 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Rallying around Giroux not being there b/c he attempted to hurt another player and got suspended? Yeah, I'll risk that.
If the flyers can't rally around getting completely outplayed, Giroux's absence won't mean a thing. If perhaps he was injured himself, maybe, but if he misses time due to suspension due to a dumb-ass move, no way a team gets too much motivation for that. Alternatively, if he gets suspended, as a teammate I'd be pissed at him for losing his cool during a critical point of the season.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#14 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

Giroux is a star player, he elbowed Zubrus, a solid NHLer but nothing more than that. Zubrus was able to return to the game and score an empty net goal. The fact that Zubrus was hunched over allows Giroux to have plausible deniability about hunting the head over the shoulder/body.

I'd be very surprised if he gets suspended, though I think he deserves a game. Late hits to head is what supposedly the league is trying to stop and that's clearly what that was.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#15 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

</FLYERS>

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#16 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

From TG's latest:

Devils coach Pete DeBoer believes it is a hit the NHL’s Department of Player Safety need to look at. (The review process has already begun.)

“For me, it looks like textbook like the kind of hits we’re trying to get out of the game,” DeBoer said. “I understand (commissioner) Gary Bettman and (deputy commissioner) Bill Daly were here tonight. I’m sure they’ll look at that.”

That Zubrus came back and played in the game and Giroux’s lack of a track record for supplemental discipline will no doubt play into whatever decision NHL senior VP Brendan Shanahan makes.

Edited by ben00rs, 06 May 2012 - 10:44 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#17 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

$2,500 fine, which is the star player standard.

Plus, Shanahan will give the cop-out excuse of "the player returned to the game, and suffered no injury" language.

I'd bet a year's salary on no suspension.

#18 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

The only thing I 'fear' about Giroux getting suspended is they'll put that pos Rinaldo in the lineup and he'll REALLY be out to injure players.

But he won't be suspended, the league won't risk deciding a series in a potential elimination game for the Flyers, especially with Giroux being a first-time offender as far as I know.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#19 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

$2,500 fine, which is the star player standard.

Plus, Shanahan will give the cop-out excuse of "the player returned to the game, and suffered no injury" language.

I'd bet a year's salary on no suspension.

I agree here, I would be really surprised to see him suspended. I do think it should have been a 5 minute major but I don't even think this gets a game suspension in the regular season let alone the playoffs.

#20 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

http://sports.yahoo....-014045948.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users