65 replies to this topic

#21 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

was cautiously optimistic, but I knew if we played the way we know how this season we could do it! I'll admit, at times it was hard to keep the faith, especially after Game 1

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#22 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

I would have bet on the Flyers if there was a gun to my head, but I'm not shocked by any team winning any series. Talent levels are too close for almost every team, for any team to be a shoe in.

Yeah but did you think the Devils would win like that? It was complete domination.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#23 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

I saw weakness in the Flyers. But I didn't think the Devils would dominate them in 5 games.

What a fun ride so far.

A GREAT ride. I'm very thankful.

#24 Parisalchuk

Parisalchuk

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

I had my doubts going into the series but I still believed the devils could win it. Although I did not expect as dominant a win as this.

#25 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

yup - eating crow - and it tastes great
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#26 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

was cautiously optimistic, but I knew if we played the way we know how this season we could do it! I'll admit, at times it was hard to keep the faith, especially after Game 1

Truth. The first four periods of the series were rough. But from the second period of Game 2 on, it was like someone gave the Devils uppers and roofied the Flyers. A very, very welcome surprise.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#27 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I can't be the only one who thought this thread was created by Manta :evil:

#28 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

I can't be the only one who thought this thread was created for Manta :evil:

Fixed.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#29 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

I never thought they would make it this far. Never ever.

So happy now

#30 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Gotta admit, I was one of those who didn't think we'd win this series after struggling against Florida but I'm glad to be wrong.

#31 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

I gotta say after several games into the first round I was saying FLA would win. I predicted a Philly win. I'm 0-2, therefore I'm going with the Rangers to win the ECF.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#32 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

I thought if we won, it would take 7, with Marty standing on his head and Bryz struggling badly. Instead, we pounded them, Bryz kept them in a couple of games, and, while Marty was brilliant at the end of the series, he had some shaky moments. These guys just keep picking each other up and elevating each other. Let's hope they can sustain it for 8 more wins.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#33 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

It just shows how much pressure got taken off by that first-round win. The Devils needed to win the first round, and once they did they turned it up another level in this series.

Good point. Could be a big reason why

Also while a lot of posters argued that no NHL team plays a full 60 minutes when I argued that the Devils were struggling with it, they came out and played 4 60 minute games. Well one was OT but you get what I mean.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#34 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

I was all but certain that after we squeaked by the Panthers that the Flyers would handle us, but it just shows that the Devils style just matched up better against Philly. The reason Philly beat Pittsburgh (who are a huge skill team) is because their physical play put them off their game and the Pens never recovered. Devils elevated their play and played above the garbage and played a great forecheck and scored more goals.

Next round Devils will have to elevate their play even more, Rangers or Caps. It'll be about prevented chances like this round but also about taking quality shots on the goalies. Holtby/Lundqvist are miles better than Bryzgalov/Theodore/Clemmensen and it'll take a lot to get quality shots through either team's shot-blocking. It will be a challenge, but after this round, anything is possible.

#35 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Sometimes winning that 1st round series is the hardest part. I won't say that I didn't think the Devils could win this series. We played them tough in the regular season (split the season series). I thought it wold go 7. However, I worried about Philly's playmakers and feared their team speed would overwhelm the Devils over a long 7 games. Bryz was the wildcard and if we could rattle him, Philly could be beat. I never thought we'd make it look so easy, and make it look like we were clearly the more talented and faster skating team of the 2. Well done boys...now keep it going through round 3.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 08 May 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,882 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

I mean, NJ crushed Florida at even strength, but they were horrendous 4 on 5. I didn't think Brodeur could play this well - he had his struggles in this series but he was able to fight through it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#37 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,886 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

All I wanted out of this series was to not get swept. But to dominate the way they did for all but three or four periods of a 5 game series? That's a gear I didn't know they even had. Incredible. I hope this ride never stops.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#38 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Was very hard on the team post game 5 in the first round but since, it has been a magic carpet ride. As Mac Miller would say, TAKE OVER THE WORLD WHILE THESE HATERS GET MAD

#39 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

we did squeak by florida but they got a lot of breaks...their power play carried them at an unbelievable clip and we did a terrible job with leads

also i think they got under estimated as a playoff team a lot of guys stepped up for them

i think the reason everyone was so down on us this series was that pitt got so over estimated going into the playoffs that when philly beat them they took the mantle

besides we had a difficult time against the panthers all year
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users