76 replies to this topic

#21 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'm gonna have to go with Andy Greene. I mean, have you SEEN the man's playoff beard? I didn't think he was capable!

(In all seriousness - Kovalchuk/Parise/Zajac - take your pick)

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#22 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'm gonna have to go with Andy Greene. I mean, have you SEEN the man's playoff beard? I didn't think he was capable!

(In all seriousness - Kovalchuk/Parise/Zajac - take your pick)

Jokes aside, Greene has been a bit of an unsung hero. Not a lot of points production, but he's been making good decisions and joins the rush when he needs to. He's looked better in these playoffs than he has all season.

It's hard for me to decide who has been best though. It's good to know that nobody is carrying the team on their back. Maybe for that reason, you choose the coaching staff.

#23 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

The person who decided to stop running those awful Verizon commercials with the Mom and Daughter. That's my MVP.
It's the whiskey talking.

#24 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

The person who decided to stop running those awful Verizon commercials with the Mom and Daughter. That's my MVP.

nope, there were at least two of those during last nights game that i had to change channels on

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Kovalchuk or Zidlicky.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#26 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

One thing that came out in my discussion last night was the OPPOSITE question. Who was the LEAST valuable player over the last two rounds? And the impressive thing was that it was hard to come up with a name. Even Peter Harrold has filled in admirally when called upon... even as a forward!

The funny thing was Brodeur's name came up in both conversations. He's had flashes of brilliance, but against Florida there were a number of goals I'm sure he would have liked to have back.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

One thing that came out in my discussion last night was the OPPOSITE question. Who was the LEAST valuable player over the last two rounds? And the impressive thing was that it was hard to come up with a name. Even Peter Harrold has filled in admirally when called upon... even as a forward!

The funny thing was Brodeur's name came up in both conversations. He's had flashes of brilliance, but against Florida there were a number of goals I'm sure he would have liked to have back.

Really don't want to turn this to a negative since the board has been overwhelming positive, but you could make a case for Brodeur. You could have said Pony who was not having a good playoffs, but he had the gigantic OT winner in game 3. Sykora had a really tough round but had a few goals in this series and played much better. Volchenkov's 1st series struggles have been well documented but improved in round 2 as well.

Overall, you can;t say anyone had a really bad series against the Flyers, and it is the reason they won in 5. Devils have been able to role 4 lines. Last night no forwards played 20 minutes and all 12 played at least 10. You couldn't imagine that a few weeks ago.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#28 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

I don't think Marty's getting enough credit for breaking up the Flyers' attack. His stickhandling and the Devils forecheck are really what killed Philly. Throughout the playoffs, with the exception of two flubs off the top of my head (there might be more I'm not thinking of), his stickhandling has been as good or better than it's ever been.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#29 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

I don't think Marty's getting enough credit for breaking up the Flyers' attack. His stickhandling and the Devils forecheck are really what killed Philly. Throughout the playoffs, with the exception of two flubs off the top of my head (there might be more I'm not thinking of), his stickhandling has been as good or better than it's ever been.

This. He had a few mistakes, but he disrupted their forecheck all series. He saved the defensemen time and time again from getting hit and being forced to make tough plays. His puckhandling hasn't always been an asset over the past few years but in this series it certainly was.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#30 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Yea, and let's not forget his something like .953 SV % playoff average in the 3rd and OTs. He got better as each game got tighter.
It's the whiskey talking.

#31 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

Elias needs to start producing some more.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#32 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

One thing that came out in my discussion last night was the OPPOSITE question. Who was the LEAST valuable player over the last two rounds?

Sykora, his round 1 can't be ignored because of a couple of really nice goals.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#33 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Salvador for me. He's scored 2, 2!! goals. Joking aside, he's been as solid as anyone could be on defense, he's had a couple assists on big goals and his goal in last night's game was huge for us to settle down some of the momentum Philly had from Rinaldo's hit on Volchenkov.

#34 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

Parise - leads the playoffs in shots on goal and is making whatever line he's on dominant (aside from Game 1 when he was stuck with a 30% Kovalchuk). I don't know where this team would be without him.

This. He pressed so hard with the puck, he willed this team to wake the fvck up.

I don't think it's better than it's ever been. I just think we were able to take it for granted back when he was ridiculous at stopping the puck.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#35 SeanMac16

SeanMac16

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Clarkson of round 2 def two game winners of 4 wins and he brings it everynight

#36 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

If MVP is coming up with the right play at the right time, then Parise is a strong candidate for the honors. His defensive play on Weiss (?) in Game 6 was a turning point in the offseason. Couple that with his consistently effective play, and with the comments coming from team veterans and coaching staff regarding his play, and it's hard to say, "No" for him to get this.
Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#37 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

I have to say that Parise has played the best as an individual, he has been the leader we have all been looking for him to be the entire regular season in these playoffs.

However, I'd give the MVP to the entire fourth line, they have played brilliantly with tons of hustle and effort, even Sestitio when he had to step in for Carter. A great all around team effort in these playoffs, and I have reason to believe that comes directly from the spark these gritty guys are giving the team. Besides, it has to give a little nostalgia to every fan seeing a Gionta race around the ice giving hits, breaking up passes and fighting along the boards. Fourth Line, MVP.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#38 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Salvador. thread over.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#39 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

I can't believe we are even discussing this! It is sooo obvious that the team MVP is Cam Janssen. Think how much he contributes by not stepping onto the ice. Truly remarkable.... 'nuff said.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#40 Parisalchuk

Parisalchuk

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

I would have to say Zach. He's always going 100% and making things happen. He might not have the numbers but every time it seems the team might start slowing down, Parise comes out with a great energetic shift and gets everyone going again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users