193 replies to this topic

#121 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

The track record re: teams' play going into the 3rd round following two seven-game series wins is pretty bad. This is what I am hanging my hat on more than anything else, as far as the Devils winning the series goes. Lundqvist has really owned the Devils' shooters, as we all know. I'm glad many of my fellow Devil fans are feeling so confident, but I don't see how they're any closer to solving Lundqvist now than they were previously. I can see several games where the Devils outplay the Rangers, but Lundqvist's play steals a win. And if he shuts the Devils down for 3 or 4 periods to start the series, I can see the Devils already getting frustrated and gripping their sticks a little tighter.

Well aware of that number, but it really doesn't mean anything once the puck is dropped. On one hand, the Devils have not played a team that plays the team D or has the goaltender like the Rangers. On the otherhand, the Devils are not as likely to go into a shut down mode like the Caps did. The Rangers should have more opportunities to score against the Devils, but the Devils will likely look to set the tempo a lot more than the Caps did. Going to come down to the goalies, and how well each team can get to rebounds. With that in mind, I'll take Lundqvist and the Rangers D over Brodeur and the Devils D any day.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#122 pleasepassthesoup

pleasepassthesoup

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Well aware of that number, but it really doesn't mean anything once the puck is dropped. On one hand, the Devils have not played a team that plays the team D or has the goaltender like the Rangers. On the otherhand, the Devils are not as likely to go into a shut down mode like the Caps did. The Rangers should have more opportunities to score against the Devils, but the Devils will likely look to set the tempo a lot more than the Caps did. Going to come down to the goalies, and how well each team can get to rebounds. With that in mind, I'll take Lundqvist and the Rangers D over Brodeur and the Devils D any day.

Everyone talks about the Devils facing a bad defensive team in the Flyers last round and, of course, the Rangers are a HUGE amount better defensively than Philly, but the Flyers are also enormously more talented offensively than New York and the Devils did a very good job of limiting their ability to score.

#123 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Everyone talks about the Devils facing a bad defensive team in the Flyers last round and, of course, the Rangers are a HUGE amount better defensively than Philly, but the Flyers are also enormously more talented offensively than New York and the Devils did a very good job of limiting their ability to score.

They were only a "bad defensive team" because we beat them. No one will mention the fact that we completely shut down their lethal offense and power play. If we do beat the Rangers, the pundits will blame the two game sevens...

It's a lose-lose, but who cares, when you're a Devils fan. I sure don't. 3 Cups in my lifetime are way better than getting a nice writeup on ESPN or NHL.com...

#124 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Posted Image
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#125 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

They were only a "bad defensive team" because we beat them. No one will mention the fact that we completely shut down their lethal offense and power play. If we do beat the Rangers, the pundits will blame the two game sevens...

It's a lose-lose, but who cares, when you're a Devils fan. I sure don't. 3 Cups in my lifetime are way better than getting a nice writeup on ESPN or NHL.com...

yea fvck that then.. if anyone actually uses, "well the rags only lost because they were tired from the two game 7 series.".... then yea well your sh!tty team should have handled those 7th and 8th seeded teams a little better

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#126 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Not going to be an issue. Talk will be about the Rangers being the first team to advance to the Finals after playing 7-gamers in each of the first 2 rounds.

No, they were a terrible defensive team. They were terrible defensively in their win over the Pens.

Edited by Matteau#32, 14 May 2012 - 01:23 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#127 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Not going to be an issue. Talk will be about the Rangers being the first team to advance to the Finals after playing 7-gamers in each of the first 2 rounds.

No, they were a terrible defensive team. They were terrible defensively in their win over the Pens.

:troll1:
Posted Image

#128 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, everyone knew the Flyers were just Godawful defensively. That's why absolutely everyone thought they were gonna roll over NJ.

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#129 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,252 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, everyone knew the Flyers were just Godawful defensively. That's why absolutely everyone thought they were gonna roll over NJ.

Most Ranger fans I know are like Matteau#32, in that they're insanely biased, and are going to be minimally objective at best. I have friends who are Ranger fans that I can't even watch games with for that very reason...every time a Ranger is touched, it should be a penalty, etc. Clearly M#32 thinks the Devils aren't much of a match for the Rangers, and with the way Lundqvist has played against them, I get that to an extent, but he seems to be writing off the Devils rather easily.

The only two things I'm going to ask of Matteau#32, should his team lose this series:

1) Don't disappear.
2) Don't use fatigue as an excuse, since you said yourself that fatigue will not be a factor, and have completely dismissed the history of how poorly prior teams that have won their first and second round in seven games have fared in the Conference Final round.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 14 May 2012 - 03:08 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#130 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Lol I remember when that stat was so amazing I almost peed myself.

Also, I remember when that stat meant the "best team in deh world!" squeaked past the 8th seed and the 7th seed respectively.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#131 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

I do think that nobody advancing after going 14 games in the first 2 rounds means less now than it did in the past. In the past the talent level between the good and the bad teams was much larger than today, so if it took you 14 games the dispatch 2 teams it probably meant you weren't very good and your round 3 opponent was going to be much better than you. Now that the talent levels are so even, you can be just as good as your round 3 opponent and take 14 games to win rounds 1 and 2. So I think, with the salary cap, this stat means much less than it once did.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#132 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

Nobody here should be talking up the, "two seven games series, third round elimination stat." We have way more positives to this team than needing to stoop there to explain why we can win this series.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#133 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

Nobody here should be talking up the, "two seven games series, third round elimination stat." We have way more positives to this team than needing to stoop there to explain why we can win this series.

Also...

Posted Image

thoughts?

Edited by ben00rs, 14 May 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#134 pleasepassthesoup

pleasepassthesoup

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image

thoughts?

I agree with everything but the coaching. DeBoer has done a great job.

#135 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Most Ranger fans I know are like Matteau#32, in that they're insanely biased, and are going to be minimally objective at best. I have friends who are Ranger fans that I can't even watch games with for that very reason...every time a Ranger is touched, it should be a penalty, etc. Clearly M#32 thinks the Devils aren't much of a match for the Rangers, and with the way Lundqvist has played against them, I get that to an extent, but he seems to be writing off the Devils rather easily.

The only two things I'm going to ask of Matteau#32, should his team lose this series:

1) Don't disappear.
2) Don't use fatigue as an excuse, since you said yourself that fatigue will not be a factor, and have completely dismissed the history of how poorly prior teams that have won their first and second round in seven games have fared in the Conference Final round.

Didn't say the Devils aren't a match, just said the Rangers will win. Secondly, I am not the type to moan about calls non-calls. Over the course of a game/series/season they generally even out. Only way you will see me use fatigue as an excuse is if it is obvious the Rangers have nothing yet. Don't think that will be the case. Rangers are one of the younger teams in the league, their D is young and their conditioning has been top notch from what I have seen this year. But, like I said, won't need to make excuses after the Rangers victory.

I think they have both done excellent jobs. They have both devised game plans that work for the talent of the players, which is the most important thing to do in sports.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#136 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

This guy will disappear when the Rags are sent golfing

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#137 gata

gata

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Posted Image

:hah: LMAOOOO That was great

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#138 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Agreed. The defense is a close call though. Where the Rangers block many more shots we forecheck a lot better.

#139 pleasepassthesoup

pleasepassthesoup

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Agreed. The defense is a close call though. Where the Rangers block many more shots we forecheck a lot better.

They broke it down as forwards and defense, though, rather than offense and defense. I think they have better defensemen and we have better forwards. The forecheck from the forwards is a big part of our defense, but their defensemen as a unit our better than ours.

#140 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

They broke it down as forwards and defense, though, rather than offense and defense. I think they have better defensemen and we have better forwards. The forecheck from the forwards is a big part of our defense, but their defensemen as a unit our better than ours.

I mean, I'm not sure. I think they are underestimating how good guys like Bryce Salvador and Andy Greene have been.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users