Photo

Proof that discipline wins games (and series too)!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

I don't know if any of you watched any of the Caps-Rags series, but I tuned in for game 5. Near the end of the game one of the Caps (can't remember hit name) pointlessly whacked one of the Rangers players in the head with his stick. Now I understand this desire. It was a Ranger player after all and after five games I am sure that the urge become overwhelming to do some Slapshot-esque scalpel work. Nevertheless, this became a double minor penalty. Why is this important? Well, as we know now the Rags scored with a millisecond to go or something like that and still had the second power play heading into overtime. The Rags scored during this power play. Since the Caps won the next game it can be argued that this was the moment that changed the series and lost it for Washington. No penalty and the Rags season is almost certainly over right now.

It occurred to me then what a stupid, tragic, and very costly penalty (well, couple of penalties) that was. It also reinforced in my mind how incredibly important it is that we stay out of the box. The Devs have traditionally been a disciplined, lower penalty minute team. While I don't think they are doing poorly right now, they have taken some careless penalties these playoffs and I really do not want to hand the Rags another cheesy victory. If we can stay out of the box and let out PK eliminate the few opportunities that the Rags get I think we take this series with relative ease.

I believe this because it works just as well the other way, of course. Look at how frustrated Philthy became. They started to resort to dirty (well, okay, dirtier) play and gave us a good number of PPs. As long as we don't let up shorthanded goals PPs sHould allow us to milk modest leads, or extend them, and keep the Rags in their own end.

Yep, penalties is the pivot on which this series turns. That is what decided the Cap-Rags and I sincerely believe it will decide our series.

And yes, I think it is kinda sad that the Caps lost what was an otherwise well-played series because of a moment of stupidity by one player. Then again, sometimes that is all it takes..... Just ask Bill Buckner.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#2 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Joel Ward. Turned that series right around.

Edited by Zubie#8, 14 May 2012 - 02:37 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#3 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Zidlicky has been the Devils' Joel Ward all playoffs long.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#4 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

I cant say they would've won game 6 if they had won that 5th game. I watched game 7 the other night and the Caps looked like a deer in the headlights. They were frozen!! I dont think they could've closed the deal, even if they won game 5.

#5 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

I hope Joel Ward is thinking long and hard about his stupid penalty that cost them the game, and maybe the series.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#6 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

We did a good job of staying composed and focused against the Flyers, and I expect the same here. The Rangers are a different team though, and may try different tactics to distract our players (or our guys may just dislike them more). MUST remained focused on playing and winning though.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#7 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Joel Ward. Turned that series right around.

Yup certainly did. Caps had control and momentum until that very moment.

We're an great 5on5 team and I think we can beat every team left in the playoffs if we stay out of the box.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users