GDT: ECF Game 1 - NJ Devils @ NY Rangers

NJCroMag

Argh, that was frustrating for sure. Unfortunately, in many ways that game represented EXACTLY the kind of Game 1 I was hoping not to see, especially not being able to put any past Lundqvist. I don't think it takes terribly long for Lundqvist to get inside these guy's heads...this guy has an absurdly good track record against them. And as easy as it is to mock the Rangers' style of play, they've made it work to this point, even if they've had to labor to do it.

There will always be Devils fans who can't wait to jump up and down on Marty when the chances present themselves, but I don't think he could have played much better, as far as stopping the puck goes. His puck-handling wasn't up to his usual standards, but he still played a solid game, and made some big saves. Yeah, Lundqvist is better at this point, but talk to me when Lundqvist is 40...Marty may not be what he was, but he's far from being a washed-up embarrassment...he can still play and can still help his team win games.

Anyway, it's easy to overreact to a Game 1 loss (or win), especially since there's nothing to compare it to, so I'm not going to panic about this, though the whole Lundqvist thing does have me concerned...can't win if you can't score, no matter how well you play in other facets of the game. If the Devils get stoned yet again by that guy in Game 2, I don't know how they come back to make it a series.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Alright going to bed now.

I'll be a lot more reasonable when I'm sober tomorrow.

Sorry everyone I fvcking trolled the sh!t out of this thread tonight and I do apologize.

Deep down I do like Marty but its just frustrating as sh!t. I promise I'll be less belligerent and emo tomorrow.

I know you say that, but man it sure doesn't seem like it. I'm sure the Flyers would love to have had a guy who could've accomplished as much "nothing" as Marty has the past 10 years or so. You'll appreciate him more after he's gone I guess...I hope.

Anyway, it's easy to overreact to a Game 1 loss (or win), especially since there's nothing to compare it to, so I'm not going to panic about this, though the whole Lundqvist thing does have me concerned...can't win if you can't score, no matter how well you play in other facets of the game. If the Devils get stoned yet again by that guy in Game 2, I don't know how they come back to make it a series.

That's the problem, there is something to compare it to - five years of being absolutely owned by Lundqvist and the Rags. And they know it too...the way they played in the third period really bothered me. It's like the first two rounds never happened, every game in the Flyer series they came back when giving up the first goal but they packed it in when going a goal down last night.

I don't want to say this, because I like the guy, but Zidlicky fvcking sucked tonight.

Zidlicky was trying to make things happen, but a Ranger forward was clogging up his shooting lane within a second every time he touched the puck. He held on too long as a result, but shooting into a Ranger's legs then having them breakout toward the Devils' net isn't a great move either. The team needs to figure out how to get pucks on the net.

I'm not a silver lining kind of guy, but there are plenty of reasons to feel okay about this series...so long as we score a goal or two eventually.

In terms of special teams, I though we were fine. The Krieder goal doesnt stand out as a concern for our PK because it was off a rush that could happen anytime during the game. It was a good shot, but Marty should have had it. Other than that our PK was actually quite productive.

The PP went 0-4 but the Rags showed us their weakness, and I'm sure Oates and Pete have already noticed it on film. It's obvious that the Rags dont want Kovy to beat them on the PP, which is 100% understandable. But, the PK'er on his side of the ice is favoring him way too much. Watch the replay when Boyle leaves Zajac all alone in the middle of the ice because he's focused on Kovy. We should run that same play over and over until they decide to stop it; that might result in some PP goals from a man in prime scoring position as well as some eventual room for Kovy. Travis put a good shot, high, on the queen; but he was able to make a good save. One of his toughest of the night for sure (13:29 of the first).

If the Rags win it all they will go down as the least talented team to ever win the Stanley Cup.

Block shots, working the refs, and berlin walling around your goaltender.

Naw, Canes were easily the least talented.

Zidlicky was trying to make things happen, but a Ranger forward was clogging up his shooting lane within a second every time he touched the puck. He held on too long as a result, but shooting into a Ranger's legs then having them breakout toward the Devils' net isn't a great move either. The team needs to figure out how to get pucks on the net.

...........and the fact that the guy can never seem to keep a puck along the boards in the zone. They were bouncing all night I know, but he struggles with that.

I agree with what you said, but sometimes thats when you get that "extra pass" that goes awry when as fans we're screaming "shoot it........"

Zach looked a lot frustrated after the game too......

Argh, that was frustrating for sure. Unfortunately, in many ways that game represented EXACTLY the kind of Game 1 I was hoping not to see, especially not being able to put any past Lundqvist. I don't think it takes terribly long for Lundqvist to get inside these guy's heads...this guy has an absurdly good track record against them. And as easy as it is to mock the Rangers' style of play, they've made it work to this point, even if they've had to labor to do it.

There will always be Devils fans who can't wait to jump up and down on Marty when the chances present themselves, but I don't think he could have played much better, as far as stopping the puck goes. His puck-handling wasn't up to his usual standards, but he still played a solid game, and made some big saves. Yeah, Lundqvist is better at this point, but talk to me when Lundqvist is 40...Marty may not be what he was, but he's far from being a washed-up embarrassment...he can still play and can still help his team win games.

The kind of Game 1 I wouldn't want to see is one like the game against the Flyers. The Devils played a bad third, but they played a solid first and phenomenal second. The power play has to get better, but everything else was fine - the Rangers got a bounce, NJ didn't, and then they couldn't respond to the Rangers after that.

It's going to be a lot of 2-1, 1-0 type games in this series - it's the game the Devils will have to play.

Devils didn't play a bad game. They got some pretty good scoring chances through that Rangers shot blocking machine. A bounce here or there and that game is a win.

Hank gives up softies. Everything he gave up in the last two games vs. the Caps could've and should've been stopped. He's human. Keep shooting.

Marty played well. The second goal hurt, but he made some absolutely ridiculous saves.

Kovy looked like his jump was back in the first period, but looked injured again from the second period on.

McDonagh is nuts. Looked like Scott Niedermayer in a Rangers sweater at times.

I know you say that, but man it sure doesn't seem like it. I'm sure the Flyers would love to have had a guy who could've accomplished as much "nothing" as Marty has the past 10 years or so. You'll appreciate him more after he's gone I guess...I hope.

Last night that was more the beer talking than anything and I was talking out of my ass. He is a great goalie I just feel the last few years have been fustrating as I see a former star now in the twilight of his career and I want to think of him as Marty of 95-2003 but I know that is something we will never see again. You are right, the Flyers and pretty much any other team would trade his past 10 years with their past 10 years at any time.

Looking back on my posts from last night to say I am embarassed is an understatement. Overall the Devils did play well and while that 2nd goal I still feel was a little soft, the D could have been much better at that. Looking at replays of the 1st goal, I can now see that it was kinda flukey and that sh!t happens.

Anyways LGD and let's even this series tomorrow!!!

Favourite tweet from last night:

Steve Warne ‏ @TGORSteve

Watching NYR play convinces me NHL goalie equipment is not only too big, it's unnecessary. NYR have 18 goalies happy to play without it.

This guy gets it.

Way too much Marty talk after just one game, goalies dont win games, how many goalies you know with game winning goals? goalies give your team a chance to win.. which marty did.. now if the forwards can only do what they get paid for, we might win.

Yes they have 22 goalies in the lineup but that a lot of five holes to put the puck past.. hpefully they find their scoring touch in game 2

The kind of Game 1 I wouldn't want to see is one like the game against the Flyers. The Devils played a bad third, but they played a solid first and phenomenal second. The power play has to get better, but everything else was fine - the Rangers got a bounce, NJ didn't, and then they couldn't respond to the Rangers after that.

It's going to be a lot of 2-1, 1-0 type games in this series - it's the game the Devils will have to play.

What I meant by the kind of Game 1 I didn't want to see was the Devils playing a good game and not having anything to show for it, especially on the scoreboard. Like you've said, they pretty much did play a good game overall...I can't make a case that they should have won, but they definitely played well enough to win with a break here and there. Like I said, I think Lundqvist frustrates them, especially with their history with him, and I don't think it takes much for him to start getting to them. I hope they find a way to score in that first period in the worst way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Rangers fans are coming out of the woodwork.

8682483f.png

I wonder if coaches are allowed during the game to have the goalie equipment measured like how they do with the stick curves. I wonder if Lundqvist is wearing regulation-sized pads during games.

Check out the HFBoards thread, this was debated for like 15 pages.

What I meant by the kind of Game 1 I didn't want to see was the Devils playing a good game and not having anything to show for it. Like you've said, they pretty did play a good game overall...I can't make a case that they should have won, but they definitely played well enough to win with a break here and there. Like I said, I think Lundqvist frustrates them, especially with their history with him, and I don't think it takes much for him to start getting to them. I hope they find a way to score in that first period in the worst way.

Yeah, this was the game I was concerned about also, as were most here. this was the collective, "ARGGHH" when we heard the horn in game 7, dam, its the rangers". the matchup takes away many of our strengths, namely feed the point off the cycle. and those two U.S. Postal Service trucks strapped to lunqvists legs looked bigger as the game wore on. the rangers are rope-a-doping and stealing rounds. frustrating! our snippers (kovy and syk) better get space in front and beat this swede or it will be a slow death

lol really? what was the conclusion? I really don't go on HF Boards because my anti-virus software goes nuts with that site.

That Devils fans are whiners and still using the old huge pads excuse.

I brought it up...but honestly, I never knew there was a 'huge pads excuse' illegal thing before the lockout. I sat there watching the game last night and thought to myself, "Lundquist has huge pads".

You gotta read the thread, it's gold lol

That Devils fans are whiners and still using the old huge pads excuse.

I brought it up...but honestly, I never knew there was a 'huge pads excuse' illegal thing before the lockout. I sat there watching the game last night and thought to myself, "Lundquist has huge pads".

You gotta read the thread, it's gold lol

He does have huge pads and always had. Whenever a shot hits his leg pads, you hear a thud that is louder than any other goalie can make with their pads.

I think I'd enjoy seeing you stick your face into a blender.

That's not too harsh, right?

I'm pissed. Won't pretend I'm not. But the series isn't over. We've had 3 "in essence" life-or-death games; games 6 and 7 against florida and game 2 against philly. I think the team realizes the magnitude of this game, and I fully expect a devils victory. When the rangers are belly-flopping all over the ice, swing your goddamn stick in their face if the puck is close. Give em a reason to stay on their feet. Also, I'm 99% positive that if someone shot lundqvist in the pad next game from a sniper in the upper deck, the bullett would ricochet out to center ice. You can land a damn airplane on the dude.

I am pretty sure he wrote that to mock me for my outburst last night. I wouldn't take it at literally.