52 replies to this topic

#41 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

When did I ever say that? Take off the bias and READ. Don't just blindly take what you want from a person's response and nit-pick what you use and don't use. Because - with all due respect - this is something that I can't stand, regardless of fanbase.

this is from your post:

It's funny, I don't hate the Devils, per se. I have no problems with anyone on the team. It's just fanbase that I can't stand. Now, I know a few (okay, more than a few) are awesome, but the few *insert any derogatory term* are so outrageous, hateful, and completely irrational, that it's hard see the good sometimes! Hahaha

you tell me where I got that from

Edited by hargsy, 17 May 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#42 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

I agree. Look, ironically my first ever hockey game was the NJ Devils vs the Vancouver Canucks back in the late 80s (I had to be 5 or 6). I still vividly remember the game. Canucks-4 Devils-3. I then became hooked and I was a Devil's fan.

That stayed until about the late 90s (truth be told, I didn't become a devout fanatic until the lockout). The reason why I started to lose my fandom was mostly due to a few 'friends' who were Devil fans. Unfortunately, I guess the best way to describe them would be your 'typical, fair-weather' Ranger fan: obnoxious, arrogant, and ignorant. It really turned me off hardcore.

It's funny, I don't hate the Devils, per se. I have no problems with anyone on the team. It's just fanbase that I can't stand. Now, I know a few (okay, more than a few) are awesome, but the few *insert any derogatory term* are so outrageous, hateful, and completely irrational, that it's hard see the good sometimes! Hahaha.

And I KNOW you all can say, "Well, I know a lot of great Devil hockey fans...but I know a $hitload of obnoxious Ranger fans!" And I'll agree with that statement! But ironically - coming from the other side - it's the exact same thing!

I mean, it was a tight game yesterday, but I am actually hearing that we intentionally created bad ice (the ice sucked) to hinder your awesome forecheck. Talk about completely irrational.

The hatred and bias bothers me. The ignorance bothers me. People who say that Brodeur is "only good because of the trap" are ignorant. That is such an asinine statement and Devil fans have every right to defend one of the greatest goaltenders to EVER play the game -- and thee greatest stick handler, ever.

But those same defendants will they say Lundqvist is "only good because of his mattress pads." Ignorance.

So all in all, I simply can't stand stupid, idiotic, and ignorant fans...regardless of who they cheer for. :cheers:

Lundqvist would be a world-class goalie if he played wearing Marty's pads too, I think thats what pisses me off about the pads so much. But those shoulders, dear god I must have seen at least 4-5 shoulder deflections last night that would've EASILY been goals.

And lets be brutally honest, the ice was terrible. I'm not saying MSG did it on purpose AT ALL.... but I honestly wouldn't put it past Sather..

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#43 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

You've explained it all before.

You said our rude fans caused you to switch -- you wrote that years ago. I didn't read this thread so I'm guessing you had to share again? Is it like confession for you? Why you turned to the dark side or something? And you get all defensive like we invited you in and then attacked you.

I hate the mealy mouthing insincere sh!t you spout. You try, you really do -- you even came back to visit once in a while thereafter to prove you weren't just coming to the board to get your jollies during the series. Sooo what do you want - you're just being a nice guy and we should all be nice to your well-meaning ribbing? NO... we have a cool board and you want to participate :rolleyes: whatever - but take your lumps and enjoy then -- don't expect to welcomes with open arms like you're some wonderful guy. Ya just make me wanna puke, having to read this same load of sh!t all OVER AGAIN. read the same pretentious piety? :puke: :puke: :puke: Do we have this to look forward too next season too?

Don't answer -- I really DO NOT enjoy your posting so I am putting you on ignore preemptively. Yeah, I really do just want to say my piece and have you STFU :evil: 'cause I REALLY care that makes you think I'm an a$$hole.... :doh1:

BYE!

Posted Image

:boogie:

U mad?

Edited by Rangerfans, 17 May 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#44 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Lundqvist would be a world-class goalie if he played wearing Marty's pads too, I think thats what pisses me off about the pads so much. But those shoulders, dear god I must have seen at least 4-5 shoulder deflections last night that would've EASILY been goals.

And lets be brutally honest, the ice was terrible. I'm not saying MSG did it on purpose AT ALL.... but I honestly wouldn't put it past Sather..

As a goalie, I gotta be honest. I don't have much beef with it because of all the stick technology that occurs in today's game. Those sticks are SO light and guys can pin-point with ease! It's pretty incredible.

As for the ice. Dude, I totally the agree. The ice was atrocious. It was one of the worst I've ever seen in a hockey game. But I also think both teams were affected by it. When the puck is bouncing that much, it's gotta be a nightmare for both.

And Hargsy: I also said Ranger fans were obnoxious, idiotic, and ignorant too. But you chose to ignore that.

#45 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

Personally, I think you're reasoning to switch is a little odd. You hate the fanbase? What does the word fanbase even really mean? Who decided the characteristics of the Devils fan base? Every team has a diverse following, with all walks of life involved. Not all Devils fans are going to be rude ***holes, that is the minority. Not all Rangers fans are going to be blind and arrogant. Not all Flyers fans are going to beat you up. Not all Penguins fans and Capitals fans just started watching hockey a couple years ago. Yes, the Islanders & Coyotes have fans.

You see, these idiotic stereotypes are silly and really do nothing positive for anyone. Your family having allegiance to the Rangers is a great reason to be a Rangers fan. Who is to say I'd be a Devils fan if I wasn't born in Jersey and my Father wasn't getting into hockey and the Devils after 95'? But to list the "fanbase" as your reason seems silly. Then you say your Devils fan friends were the reason for that, because they were obnoxious dicks. Sounds to me like you needed new friends rather than a new team.

In the end you can choose any reason to be a fan of a sports team. Maybe you like the color blue more than red. I don't know. I personally don't. I'm actually petitioning the Coast Guard to switch to all red uniforms with NJ crests on the chest so I am not forced to wear that gross color blue all day! Anyway, that's just my opinion. You don't seem like a bad person (as I am sure most New York fans aren't) but I hope your day gets ruined on Saturday. And Monday. And Wednesday.

Edited by DevilsFanSteve30, 17 May 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#46 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

You are a sexy thing Pepper :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#47 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

Personally, I think you're reasoning to switch is a little odd...

Great post, man.
Posted Image

#48 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Great post, man.

Thanks man.

#49 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Personally, I think you're reasoning to switch is a little odd. You hate the fanbase? What does the word fanbase even really mean? Who decided the characteristics of the Devils fan base? Every team has a diverse following, with all walks of life involved. Not all Devils fans are going to be rude ***holes, that is the minority. Not all Rangers fans are going to be blind and arrogant. Not all Flyers fans are going to beat you up. Not all Penguins fans and Capitals fans just started watching hockey a couple years ago. Yes, the Islanders & Coyotes have fans.

You see, these idiotic stereotypes are silly and really do nothing positive for anyone. Your family having allegiance to the Rangers is a great reason to be a Rangers fan. Who is to say I'd be a Devils fan if I wasn't born in Jersey and my Father wasn't getting into hockey and the Devils after 95'? But to list the "fanbase" as your reason seems silly. Then you say your Devils fan friends were the reason for that, because they were obnoxious dicks. Sounds to me like you needed new friends rather than a new team.

In the end you can choose any reason to be a fan of a sports team. Maybe you like the color blue more than red. I don't know. I personally don't. I'm actually petitioning the Coast Guard to switch to all red uniforms with NJ crests on the chest so I am not forced to wear that gross color blue all day! Anyway, that's just my opinion. You don't seem like a bad person (as I am sure most New York fans aren't) but I hope your day gets ruined on Saturday. And Monday. And Wednesday.

Great post actually. And when I truly think about it, I'm sure subconsciously my family being Ranger fans had more of my allegiance than anything else.

Truth be told, I really go into hockey post-lockout. It was almost like a clean slate. I 'was' turned off from various fans, but I'm sure it has more to do with just my family watching games year and year and getting familiar with names, people, etc. without even trying. At the end of the day, Blue became my team.

It really is a good post, and if I came across as "holier than thou" I sincerely apologize and don't mean to come across that way whatsoever. I am a hockey fan, first and foremost. And enjoy talking about the sport in-general.

As for hoping my day(s) get ruined, I expect nothing else! :cheers: Right now I hope my team can cause misery for you all. But when the dust settles and the series is over, hopefully we can shake hands and have a mutual respect for each other.

Cheers.

#50 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

I can vouch for the fanbase hate helping you form your opinion. I live in Orange County, NY. Its about an hour north of NYC. I was always a casual Devils fan, especially after the switch to red and black in 92. (I was 11... don't judge me!). But what absolutely solidified me was the crap I took from Ranger fans after 1994. Being the only Devils fan in the school, I got it from all sides. So, I can definitely see where Rangerfans is coming from when he says that.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#51 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

You said our rude fans caused you to switch -- you wrote that years ago.

actually, he said it was a few of his friends. I can understand in a way. When I was in HS, a bunch of my friends weren't into hockey or were Islanders fans. They just liked to bust my chops when the Rangers lost. In 92 (10th grade) when the Penguins beat the Rangers, I came into school the next day and a few of those fools actually decorated my locker black and gold and with a few pictures from the newspaper from the game. Basically this happened each each year in junior high and high school until my senior year when the Rangers won. So, since they were all Knicks fans and I wasn't into basketball anymore as soon as the Knicks were eliminated, I would give it back to them and it actually caused me to hate the Knicks.

Edited by Matteau#32, 18 May 2012 - 11:27 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

As for hoping my day(s) get ruined, I expect nothing else! :cheers: Right now I hope my team can cause misery for you all. But when the dust settles and the series is over, hopefully we can shake hands and have a mutual respect for each other.

Cheers.

Sounds good, I just hope and believe we'll be on the victorious side of that handshake!

#53 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

I can vouch for the fanbase hate helping you form your opinion. I live in Orange County, NY. Its about an hour north of NYC. I was always a casual Devils fan, especially after the switch to red and black in 92. (I was 11... don't judge me!). But what absolutely solidified me was the crap I took from Ranger fans after 1994. Being the only Devils fan in the school, I got it from all sides. So, I can definitely see where Rangerfans is coming from when he says that.

Dude! I totally remember the switch and I thought it was amazing (and still think it's intimidating today). Far better than the red/green of the Kirk Muller years (and before).

And I still NHL 93, I use to constantly play as the Devils. Richer, Todd, and Zele. What a great top line =P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users