15 replies to this topic

#1 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Sure it's a formality, but they couldn't wait until AFTER a great playoff season to do this?

http://www.usatoday....tice/55019336/1

Edited by Z-Man, 16 May 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#2 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Maybe Bettman is rushing to try and put a few teams in Mexico and South America

#3 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Here we go AGAINNNNNNNNNNN

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#4 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Can't wait for this summers exciting battle between billionaires and millionaires. :rolleyes:
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#5 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

I think worst case scenario is a repeat of the NBA lockout, miss maybe half the schedule. 2004 was an unusual case, introducing a cap system is a huge step relative to what will happen this offseason.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#6 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

Can't wait for this summers exciting battle between billionaires and millionaires. :rolleyes:

And that's a big part of the problem. With the current ecomony and so many people struggling trying to make ends meet, fans have a lot less patience for this "millionaire va. billionaires" crap than they used to. Doesn't matter which side is right or wrong...I think there's very much a "fvck both of you, figure it out" mentality.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#7 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

And that's a big part of the problem. With the current ecomony and so many people struggling trying to make ends meet, fans have a lot less patience for this "millionaire va. billionaires" crap than they used to. Doesn't matter which side is right or wrong...I think there's very much a "fvck both of you, figure it out" mentality.

Exactly. Fans will never see anything near what these owners and players make...

It is just greed, bottom line

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#8 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

I think worst case scenario is a repeat of the NBA lockout, miss maybe half the schedule. 2004 was an unusual case, introducing a cap system is a huge step relative to what will happen this offseason.

I have a gut feeling they are going to miss half the year...hope I'm wrong though.

Amen. In the end the owners are going to walk away with $$$, the players will walk away with $$$, and the fans are the ones who will get screwed.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#9 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Great PR move NHL, unless it was something that had to be declared at a certain point.

Guess I should have read the F'in article.

#10 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:06 AM

Do it now while its burred under the Conference series.

Compared to the NFL and NBA negotiations I have no idea what each side really wants

Edited by roomtemp, 17 May 2012 - 01:08 AM.

#11 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

they have to do it, otherwise there's no reason for the players to open negotiations.

#12 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:09 AM

Sure it's a formality, but they couldn't wait until AFTER a great playoff season to do this?

http://www.usatoday....tice/55019336/1

The deadline for sending notice was Friday, May 18th. They couldn't wait until after the playoffs.

They have absolutely no fear of doing this. I know many, many people who proclaimed last time that they "would never go to another NHL game ever" ... all of whom have returned to going to the games. The league knows that even if they shut down for a year, the fans will forgive them.

Edited by Don, 17 May 2012 - 06:09 AM.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#13 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

The deadline for sending notice was Friday, May 18th. They couldn't wait until after the playoffs.

They have absolutely no fear of doing this. I know many, many people who proclaimed last time that they "would never go to another NHL game ever" ... all of whom have returned to going to the games. The league knows that even if they shut down for a year, the fans will forgive them.

The economy was in better shape the last time. I also think there's a "We let it go the first time, but if you do it AGAIN" feeling with another lockout looming.

If they get, say, a 50-60 game season going, I would say most, if not all, fans will probably forgive and forget...moreso than ever, we're seeing that, with parity rampant, the regular season doesn't mean a whole lot anyway...just get into the playoffs and you've got a legit shot. But I don't think all fans will put up with prolonged nonsense...yes, many of them will come back (and I would be one of them...I enjoy Devils hockey too much to just walk away from it, no matter what the millionaires and billionaires squabble over), but I do believe, because of the 2004-2005 that never was, some fans would finally say "fvck this, I'm done.", and actually mean it. How many? Who knows.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#14 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

Ifffff a lock out occured I would be enjoying many more games away from the arenas that is for sure

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#15 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

The economy was in better shape the last time. I also think there's a "We let it go the first time, but if you do it AGAIN" feeling with another lockout looming.

If they get, say, a 50-60 game season going, I would say most, if not all, fans will probably forgive and forget...moreso than ever, we're seeing that, with parity rampant, the regular season doesn't mean a whole lot anyway...just get into the playoffs and you've got a legit shot. But I don't think all fans will put up with prolonged nonsense...yes, many of them will come back (and I would be one of them...I enjoy Devils hockey too much to just walk away from it, no matter what the millionaires and billionaires squabble over), but I do believe, because of the 2004-2005 that never was, some fans would finally say "fvck this, I'm done.", and actually mean it. How many? Who knows.

I think the big loss would be the casual fans. These are the people that the NHL targets so much, and you really risk losing them for good with another lost season.

People like us who post on these boards are already hooked. For me, a lost season would probably just mean I go see the Albany Devils a few times (I live roughly the same distance from Newark and Albany).
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#16 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,972 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Theres no chance that there won't be some sort of season. I just cant imagine that either side thinks its a good idea not to have a Stanley Cup winner for the 2nd time in less then 10 years. The thought of that is disgusting actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users