114 replies to this topic

#21 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

One thing we can all agree on is the refereeing has been very inconsistent, not just in the playoffs, but all season. And, it does appear we have things called against us that wouldnt get called on our opponent.

#22 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

Let's get something straight. If Brodeur went down in such a dramatic fashion on a play like that, the Rangers would be calling it "the big flop". No one in their right mind can look at that and honestly say Lundqvist got hit with enough force to be impacted toward the back of his own net. I don't think he "dove", but he definitely "flinched" and fell backward afraid of Ponikarovsky, who's definitely not a small guy. Not only is there the intent to stop and NOT hit Lundqvist, but he barely even grazes him, so obviously he stopped in time. Phenomenal non-call; another more stressed out ref might have called either the dive or the goalie interference.

It's not a dive, but Lundqvist was definitely trying to sell the call by staying down instead of scrambling to get up. It's just incidental contact, not a penalty. This is one of those situations where a goal probably would have been waved off, but no penalty.
Posted Image

#23 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Im still pissed at the delay of game penalty that zids got while been tripped and that the trip didnt get called at all... Almost cost us the game late in the 3rd

www.SterioDesign.com

#24 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Triumph u don't buy Tippets point at all?

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#25 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

what about clarksons "dive" vs florida?

i believe Chris Lee was the ref in that game as well

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil, 18 May 2012 - 12:08 PM.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#26 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

It probably looks worse than it is cause the PK stinks again, but when one team dominates 5-on-5 and the other team's the one getting suspect calls to kill off our momentum that's mind boggling.

QFT.

Thought this might be relevant to the discussion here: Puck Daddy: Penalties in 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Who’s drawing them, and who’s taking them?

Sure are mostly Rags and Kings on that list.

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Triumph u don't buy Tippets point at all?

I thought the refs had a real bad game last night. But I don't think there's anything untoward going on. Dustin Brown has been the best penalty drawer in the league by far over the last few years. And with the Kings playing so well with the puck, it's only natural that they're going to draw more penalties than the opposition.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

I think team reputation plays into it. The Devils aren't known as a high octane team that will draw a lot of penalties, so they don't.

The Devils also featured 2 of the biggest complainers the last few years, Clarkson and Langenbrunner, so refs tuned them out.

Devils also didn't help themselves with the Sykora penalty box thing. Referees have a long memory as a group, the reffing after the fat pig incident was atrocious, so even of its only subconscious, I think that incident hurts a little.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#29 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

I thought the refs had a real bad game last night. But I don't think there's anything untoward going on. Dustin Brown has been the best penalty drawer in the league by far over the last few years. And with the Kings playing so well with the puck, it's only natural that they're going to draw more penalties than the opposition.

So if PHX "embellished" a little more you don't think it's going to help them draw more PP's? What about the link that poster posted, sure showed a lot of Rangers and Kings on that list.

#30 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

The reffing isn't biased. It's just not very good or consistent. Go to any fan site, and you're gonna see posts just like these.

Yep, I tend to agree. During the Philthy series I was popping around some of their boards and they were moaning about how the refs were against them, we were getting the good calls, etc. (although pretty much everyone agreed that one game was wildly lopsided in the Cryers favor.... Was it game 2? I have already started to forget).

Anyway, I tend to think that the rule changes and the impetus to try to change the game by reinterpreting certain calls has left refs a bit stumped. However, if I was a bit more of a conspiracy theorist type I would really start to feel like the NHL had decreed from on high that they wanted an LA-NY Stanley Cup come hell or high water. Too bad for them the Devils are playing 'cuz we've brought the hell.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#31 gata

gata

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only who's noticed all these one sided Power Plays.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Nothing is "going on with the refs," it's just a very difficult game to officiate, and this time of year it becomes more difficult and every mistake is magnified because the stakes are higher.

I usually agree with this, but NOT calling Doughty for a textbook UFC double leg takedown until Doan goes back at him and then giving them matching minors at the end of that game last night was DISGRACEFUL.....there's NO WAY you can frak up a call like THAT......
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#33 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

I see him and Callahan (not the only two who do it, but two of the most prominent) pulling the same routine over and over in games:

Step 1. Take a run at a guy and deliver an unnecessarily hard and slightly late, but not quite illegal, hit.
Step 2. Stay nearby waiting for any sort of physical retaliation.
Step 3. If anything at all comes, milk it for all its worth, hit the ice, and look in the direction of the nearest ref for the call.

This draws penalties nearly every time. The refs absolutely eat this sh!t up. They are always looking for any retaliation behind the play after a big hit, and they just love to dish out roughing minors for this sort of thing, even if the "retaliation" was nothing more than a light crosscheck or slash to the leg, which is significantly less severe than the sort of thing that goes on in post-whistle scrums all night long and doesn't get called then. It's all about the timing and embellishment. I think it's pretty trashy and dishonest, but I can see why fans of LA and NY love their ability to dish out a big(-ish) hit and then draw a penalty from it.

#34 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

I usually agree with this, but NOT calling Doughty for a textbook UFC double leg takedown until Doan goes back at him and then giving them matching minors at the end of that game last night was DISGRACEFUL.....there's NO WAY you can frak up a call like THAT......

Here's the Doughty takedown. Keep in mind both him and Doan received penalties.

That's actually a real move in judo called morote gari:

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#35 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

Here's the problem: Bryce Salvador did the EXACT same thing in the Flyers series and there was no call. If anything, Salvador's take down was more blatant IMO. Now this isn't to say that I disagree with you per se, but strangely enough this isn't an area where the refs have been inconsistent AFAIK. For some reason they have been consistently allowing these sorts of takedowns. I have absolutely no idea why and I wouldn't even venture much of a guess as to why either, but it would be difficult to argue that what happened in the kings-Yotes series was a penalty and not penalize the Devs as well.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#36 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

It's possible the ref just didn't notice that Doughty grabbed Doan's leg and thought he took him down legally.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#37 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

It's possible the ref just didn't notice that Doughty grabbed Doan's leg and thought he took him down legally.

This. In every sport but baseball, the players have gotten too big and too fast for the refs to keep up. Replay has helped a little in football, but refs are going to miss a lot of calls in every sport just because they can't see them. Embellishers definitely get rewarded. It blows, but I don't think there's much that can be done to fix it, except maybe making the ice bigger to open things up more.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#38 daneyko_booster

daneyko_booster

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

It took an awful lot of arguing from several posters to make the case that Poni shouldn't have a goaltender interference call. Regardless, the fact that they didn't call the penalty there, when they easily could have on a borderline play, means they don't have some agenda against the Devils. I also noticed nobody bothered to argue against the obvious interference penalty Parise should have had 30 seconds or so later. A borderline call and an obvious call go our way as the refs swallow their whistles in the last two minutes. If they wanted to give the game back to the Rangers in the last two minutes they could have, but didn't.

I'm wasting my keystrokes here though, there's no arguing with the tin-hat crowd, so continue your tirades against the reffing conspiracies in between History Channel specials on Roswell aliens, the JFK assassination, and the 9/11 Truthers.
Official Keeper of Ken Daneyko's missing teeth, Jeff Friesen's moustache, Shanahan's Pub in the CAA concourse (only place you could buy Guinness). Unofficial Keeper of Wayne Gretzky's perm.

#39 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

The truth is: The players are too big for the field. The refs' cant see it all. The only solution is to put stripes on the linesmen in cases of blatant fouls. But you still have to have the refs' consult with them and some of those idiots have the God complex (like umpires).

#40 Phat Andy

Phat Andy

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

The league wants to show off our historic penalty kill. :whistling:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users