54 replies to this topic

#41 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Not even close because it isn't dumb in the slightest. You mean to tell me Bettman would prefer to have the 'two best teams' - which very well could be NJ-PHO - than LA-NYR who are a good draw based on name alone?

Bettman might, don't know for sure as I haven't asked him. Frankly, he is trying to save the franchise in Phoenix, so I could see him WANTING Phoenix to win it all. Are you saying the Rangers are up 2-1 and the Kings 3-1 because of some conspiracy? If you really believe that, you should stop watching the NHL. If there was some kind of fix, don't you think they would have made sure the first two series didnt go 7 games?

Sorry, but it is just as dumb.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Nothing is fixed. That's just fan paranoia. But there is no doubt that the NHL and, more importantly, NBC, want a Rangers-Kings Stanley Cup final as it draws from the 2 biggest TV markets in the country, with both teams having a huge number of bandwagon fans that that normally don't watch more than 10 minutes of hockey a year, that will be glued to the TV during that series (something the Devils and Coyotes clearly don't have).

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 21 May 2012 - 09:04 AM.

Posted Image

#43 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Nothing is fixed. That's just fan paranoia. But there is no doubt that the NHL and, more importantly, NBC, want a Rangers-Kings Stanley Cup final as it draws from the 2 biggest TV markets in the country, with both teams having a huge number of bandwagon fans that that normally don't watch more than 10 minutes of hockey a year, that will be glued to the TV during that series (something the Devils and Coyotes clearly don't have).

Exactly. If NBC has the power to decide who is to be in the Winter Classic, then based off of their selection of only original 6 teams and large market teams, it is pretty safe to at least assume they would deep down prefer a Kings-Rags final than a Phoenix-NJ final.

#44 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Man, Torts just needs to STFU. He whines like this every year, every series. He is the boy who cried wolf. It is funny, thought, that he claims the Devils are the dirty team yet it is his player that was deemed to have acted over the line by the league. How does that reconcile Torts? Let the play on the ice speak for itself. I really hate loudmouth coaches: Torts, Ryan, etc.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#45 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Bettman might, don't know for sure as I haven't asked him. Frankly, he is trying to save the franchise in Phoenix, so I could see him WANTING Phoenix to win it all. Are you saying the Rangers are up 2-1 and the Kings 3-1 because of some conspiracy? If you really believe that, you should stop watching the NHL. If there was some kind of fix, don't you think they would have made sure the first two series didnt go 7 games?

Sorry, but it is just as dumb.

No, I am not saying the Kings and Rangers are up because of a conspiracy. It is a counter to the Ranger fans all over social media claiming there is some sort of fix against the Rangers. Nothing is fixed. Using common sense, the league would not be against having the biggest media market in the world out of the SCF. To say they are being black balled is preposterous.

#46 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

No, I am not saying the Kings and Rangers are up because of a conspiracy. It is a counter to the Ranger fans all over social media claiming there is some sort of fix against the Rangers. Nothing is fixed. Using common sense, the league would not be against having the biggest media market in the world out of the SCF. To say they are being black balled is preposterous.

yeah, no kidding. I am NOT one of this conspiracy theorists. Would it be better for ratings for the Rangers to be in it? Of course. But if that really had any impact on it, why wouldn't the league conspire to get them to at least the conference finals every year? Rangers fans on facebook and other sites are just as fickle as other teams fans. Prust gets suspended and it is an anti-ranger bias. Prust only gets 1 game, it is because the league wants the rangers in the SCF. Is there a "star" bias? I think so. Hence why Weber wasn't suspended for pretending the boards were a turnbuckle and why Ovechkin got nothing for his shot on boyle, not even a fine. At one point, I had over 2000 friends on facebook because I made the mistake of joining a few Rangers and Giants groups, accepting requests from people in those groups. Finally, I realized most people are just stupid so I deleted anyone I didn't know personally. I can deal with stupidity on a message board.

Edited by Matteau#32, 21 May 2012 - 11:47 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

SSHHHHANABANNED

"THREW ONE IN FRONT IT’S BLOCKED THERE, SCRAMBLE FOR IT THERE THEY POKE AWAY AT IT, STILL ITS LOOSE, POKED AT BY KOVALCHUK-
THEY SCOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEE!!!!! HENRIQUE!! ITS OVER!!”

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#48 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

re: ratings. Yes, Having the Rangers in the finals will drive the numbers but LA is NOT a good hockey TV ratings market. It's a big media market, but not a hockey market. LA (and quite possibly NY should that come to pass) won't touch Boston's numbers last year.
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#49 pleasepassthesoup

pleasepassthesoup

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

re: ratings. Yes, Having the Rangers in the finals will drive the numbers but LA is NOT a good hockey TV ratings market. It's a big media market, but not a hockey market. LA (and quite possibly NY should that come to pass) won't touch Boston's numbers last year.

Add to that the fact that all Boston sports teams have an extreme bandwagon component and that's even more true. (Everyone watches regardless of how much or little they care about any of the teams)

#50 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

yeah, it is definitely not. Part of it, is weeknight cup games will begin at 5 which doesn't help. I am sure though, Bettman and his Yes men are seeing it as untapped potential. With the Clippers now out, the Lakers about to get knocked out, the Dodgers are doing real well, but still early, they see it as a chance to create some new fans.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#51 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Add to that the fact that all Boston sports teams have an extreme bandwagon component and that's even more true. (Everyone watches regardless of how much or little they care about any of the teams)

Oh yeah. First time I went up for Bruins-Rangers was march of 07. Celtics had a game the night before, they were in dead last in the East. I stayed right by the arena and I asked the hotel bell man about tickets, and how much they would cost. He laughed and said, "You have a pair of sneakers with you? They might let you play." Following year they won it all and you couldn't get tickets for less than double face. Same with the Bruins. One year I went up there when they weren't having a good season, and unless you were a die-hard hockey fan, you wouldn't have even known they had a game that day. It was quite pathetic.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

LA is a sports town that loves its teams (especially when they do well) and should LA make the finals, every sports bar in LA will be filled with casual fans watching the Kings game.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#53 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

yeah, it is definitely not. Part of it, is weeknight cup games will begin at 5 which doesn't help. I am sure though, Bettman and his Yes men are seeing it as untapped potential. With the Clippers now out, the Lakers about to get knocked out, the Dodgers are doing real well, but still early, they see it as a chance to create some new fans.

i agree totally - furthermore, where i think you'll see LA get a bump is next year from this year's success - unless of course the league is in an extended lockout (i think some form of lockout is inevitable).
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#54 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Plus LA will suddenly have a lot of sports fans with nothing else to do once the Lakers and Clippers both get bounced from the playoffs.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#55 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

If the league is smart they'll at least give LA fans a bone and have two of the home games on a weekend (Friday-Saturday-Sunday), so they can attend. Watching at 5 is a little different than having to go to a game at 5.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users