• 28,061 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

Lines look like this now:

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus
Henrique-Elias-Kovalchuk
Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

D are the same.

I like these changes a lot if they stick, Sykora has simply not been good along the boards, Josefson is a real smart player and belongs in the lineup if he can play.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

I agree with these line changes as well, splits up kovy and Zach, puts a physical presence with Zach, should bump up elias' play.
Posted Image

#3 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Lines look like this now:

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus
Henrique-Elias-Kovalchuk
Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

D are the same.

I like these changes a lot if they stick, Sykora has simply not been good along the boards, Josefson is a real smart player and belongs in the lineup if he can play.

I was about to compliment you on your smart new line combos while questioning whether JJ is ready to go, and then I realized that this was a TG report.

Still, I like it. Sykora is just about spent and Henrique has been brutal at center in this series. I like him setting up Kovalchuk.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#4 CHICO IS GOD

CHICO IS GOD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Think this should definitely help Elias. That 2nd line could be dangerous.

Almost dislike the exclusion of Sykora due to his shot and him being one of the few respectable things on the 2nd PP unit but Josefson will be an improvement 5 on 5. That line should be able to cycle and possess the puck with ease (as long as Clarkson isn't falling over).
Never underestimate the scoring force of the almighty one named Scott Stevens, who is destined to become the greatest Power on Earth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

NJ Devs Keeper of Glenn Chico Resch and CAA Sections with Row 2 as the first row.

#5 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

I like how that turns up the speed around Elias and will take some heat off of him while checking the other team's scoring line. Obviously you want to leave the fourth line alone, so Josefson on the third line is the obvious choice - he fits more playing with skill players anyways. Sykora has been weak in areas but also smart in others as a veteran. He is simply the odd man out here and what has to be done, has to be done.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#6 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

2nd line = kovy-henrique-elias per tg

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#7 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Makes sense, Elias has been dreadful at center - and cannot win important faceoffs. Henrique needed to step in for Elias yesterday on the PK but didn't and we got scored on.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

this on the other hand is really, really odd.

#9 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

I pretty much called this yesterday, people didn't believe Sykora would come out. Henrique won't have anchors tied to his feet now.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#10 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

I like these changes a lot, hopefully this helps them finish their chances. I didn't expect Sykora to be removed from the line up but I'm happy they did. I suppose Tallinder still isn't healthy enough to take a spot on the 3rd pair yet.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#11 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

this on the other hand is really, really odd.

Do you think its an effort to get him away from mcdonah, or however you spell his name
Posted Image

#12 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Do you think its an effort to get him away from mcdonah, or however you spell his name

Kovalchuk could barely get away from Bickel at this point.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Seems a little desperate to me to shake things up this much. I'm also a little wary of putting JJ back in the lineup so soon off of injury in a series like this.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#14 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

I like the lines, just would rather see Elias at LW and Henrique at C...has Elias ever played RW in his life?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#15 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

I really hope they can score...I don't care who they have to take out of the lineup to do it.

#16 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

TG: DeBoer said decision on lines is not final yet, but if they go tomorrow with what they practiced with today, Sykora would sit.

#17 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

I don't see it as desperation. I see it as a way to try to manufacture puck luck. This is not going to be a series won by creative play. It's going to be won by gritty goals, as we've already seen. Deflections, rebounds, etc. Changing up lines is a good way to force players to go back to the basics.
Posted Image

#18 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

I don't see it as desperation. I see it as a way to try to manufacture puck luck. This is not going to be a series won by creative play. It's going to be won by gritty goals, as we've already seen. Deflections, rebounds, etc. Changing up lines is a good way to force players to go back to the basics.

I'm not speaking to whatever position you've had on this issue (just because I'm not sure), but it's strange that for all the talk of us having dominated the play of the series thus far taking a favorable view of a relatively large shake-up of the lines.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#19 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm not speaking to whatever position you've had on this issue (just because I'm not sure), but it's strange that for all the talk of us having dominated the play of the series thus far taking a favorable view of a relatively large shake-up of the lines.

The Devils have dominated because of their forecheck and their one on one board play. I don't think it's because of 'chemistry' - these twelve forwards are going to crush what the Rangers are throwing out there, assuming they're put in any sort of coherent order.

Sykora has been the team's weakest forward, he's shot, if Josefson is anything like he was in the regular season, he will make the team even better.

Edited by Triumph, 20 May 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#20 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Dominating the play means nothing if pucks aren't going in the net. The Devils have dominated with 2 different sets of lines so far.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users