Rangers style of play making hockey boring?

CaptainRafalski

As Devils fans we know two things:

1. The Trap ruined hockey and caused people to turn away from the sport (according to Bettman and company).

2. The Trap allows for an "inferior" team to compete against a more talented opponent because it allows for mistakes and quick strike goals by the defensive team.

My question is this: are the Rangers making hockey boring again for basically the same reasons?

With the Trap you clog up the neutral zone and force a turnover and with the Rangers "drop down and hope a puck hits you" you are basically doing the same thing in your own defensive zone. It is equally as frustrating to watch if you are the team trying to break the trap or shoot a puck more than 2 feet. The Rangers shot blocking strategy is basically a form of the trap in their own end. The Rangers are doing what an inferior team (a number one seeded inferior team) has to do in order to get quick strike goals and stay competitive/win games.

Now, I have no problem with a team playing the trap or doing what the Rangers are doing if that's why they have to do to win. As Herm Edwards said, "you play to win the game." It is up to the other team to figure out how to score a goal.

However, at least playing the trap involved some skill. You had to be disciplined and willing to play a slow and plodding hockey game (which is really not the natural way the sport is played). With the Rangers there is really no skill at all. Is it courageous to block a shot? yes. Is blocking shots part of the game? yes. Is it really a skilled way to play? No.

So why in the world is the Trap looked down upon while dropping in front of every single shot (or pass attempt) is looked at as some sort of skill?

If Bettman and Rags fans (same thing really) think that the Devils ruined hockey because the average fan wanted to see more goals then what in the world makes them think that what the Rangers are doing is any better? Like I said above, I think a team has to do what a team has to do to win but can we have a little consistency on what makes hockey boring and what doesn't?

There have been some complaints about the Rags style throughout the playoffs, and we've gotten compliments about our aggressive forecheck. Right now, unfortunately, they're executing their game to perfection, or at the very least Lundquist has been brilliant. We can't really complain.

There have been some complaints about the Rags style throughout the playoffs, and we've gotten compliments about our aggressive forecheck. Right now, unfortunately, they're executing their game to perfection, or at the very least Lundquist has been brilliant. We can't really complain.

I agree. I'm not really disappointed in the way the Devils are playing. They have adopted the go-go style that Bettman and company want, I guess.

I just don't understand that when a defense first mentality is played to perfection by the Devils (the trap) it is looked down upon and basically outlawed, but when the Rangers resort to just falling down in front of the puck there is an wave of "wow, look how they play the game."

I do not care with the way they are playing but it drives me nuts that Ranger fans who made fun of our defensive system is embracing and loving their system.

That's how I feel too. Winning is what matters to me as a fan, but it's very hypocritical to see all the Ranger fans who said "exciting but losing" was better than winning, now embrace winning but boring(and more boring than the trap).

That's how I feel too. Winning is what matters to me as a fan, but it's very hypocritical to see all the Ranger fans who said "exciting but losing" was better than winning, now embrace winning but boring(and more boring than the trap).

I can't imagine the Rangers' style of play is boring to them. They're in their own zone chasing the puck for 2/3rds of the game - that would give me heart attacks as a fan. It's exciting to play terribly and get bailed out by your goalie.

I can't imagine the Rangers' style of play is boring to them. They're in their own zone chasing the puck for 2/3rds of the game - that would give me heart attacks as a fan. It's exciting to play terribly and get bailed out by your goalie.

This. They do not play a boring style of hockey - they play a ridiculous style of hockey...and it works.

As long as you don't play a dirty game, I don't care how you win. And so far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as boring hockey. It's the same for all people so long as it's their team that's winning.

I just wish the hockey talking heads will recognize their own hypocrisy. I would ask the same for Ranger fans, but there's a larger chance of the Blue Jackets winning the Stanley Cup this year than a Ranger fan putting much thought into anything.

Edited by Daniel

But people are hating on the Rags.

I can't find the game now -- wasn't it Philly who basically just stopped playing because the Rags camped out in front of the net? The league or at least the press was outraged the Flyers essentially boycotted the game just because the Rags style hamstrung them. It may be my own selective memory though -- and it was regular season...

Id realy like to see our guys head hunting with the puck and shooting to kill, i mean it

I hate to sound like an uncaring douche, but I agree. I don't who said it but they said something like " they say that the goalies pads are so big these days because of safety for goalies but here you have 5 players willing to play goalie with less pads, time to revisit the size of goalie equipment"

If they are willing to do it and win the cup that way, there is going to be 20 other teams doing it and it will be boring. so teach them a leason and rip it at them

Devils are being far too kind to the shotblockers. Hit a few guys with some slap shots and gaborik will not be the only one thinking twice. That is not to say that the devils should aim to kll, but only that they are spending way too much time looking for open lanes that just arent there. Throw a few grenades into their foxhole and they will start spreading like the sea. Its one thing if you are taking a slapper from the point with a defenseman on top of you, but if you have room in front of you, put some mustard on it. The major flaw with the rangers style of defense is that it puts a lot of wear and tear on their guys. Why not indulge them?

Devils are being far too kind to the shotblockers. Hit a few guys with some slap shots and gaborik will not be the only one thinking twice. That is not to say that the devils should aim to kll, but only that they are spending way too much time looking for open lanes that just arent there. Throw a few grenades into their foxhole and they will start spreading like the sea. Its one thing if you are taking a slapper from the point with a defenseman on top of you, but if you have room in front of you, put some mustard on it. The major flaw with the rangers style of defense is that it puts a lot of wear and tear on their guys. Why not indulge them?

Bingo Bingo Bingo

Slap it at their heads a few times and let the chips fall where they may..........

Plus I'd love to see Torts after that. Douche.

i mean... when i say everything just go their way im not exaggerating...

with their style of play they barely got injured guys for a long extend of the season. Gaborik never got hurt. They score sh!tty goals all the time out of no scoring chance or its deflecting on 3-4 guys and going in BUT they keep on jumping in front of shots and deflecting pucks and its really rare that they deflect it in their net.

i mean you can win a few games here and there that way... but they've been doing it all year long, usually i'd have to tell myself "allright just deal with it they are a good team" but NO they are not playing well AT ALL... so frustrating

You know what, I actually LIKE the fact they're playing boring. The media see it, they acknowledge it. Everyone admits the Rangers are boring. The deeper the Rags go in the playoffs, the more attention it gets. We now have something to shut those Rangers' fans up with next time they even mention the word "boring". And if we win this series, we'll finally shut them up about 94, too!

I didn't hate the trap and I don't really hate their style of hockey - my opinion is as long as it's not against the rules, it's OK. But I like that Rags fans have but two choices now: admit they're playing boring and eat crap for all the years of bitching about the Devils OR deny it and be called a hypocrite by everyone outside the Garden.

You know what, I actually LIKE the fact they're playing boring. The media see it, they acknowledge it. Everyone admits the Rangers are boring. The deeper the Rags go in the playoffs, the more attention it gets. We now have something to shut those Rangers' fans up with next time they even mention the word "boring". And if we win this series, we'll finally shut them up about 94, too!

I didn't hate the trap and I don't really hate their style of hockey - my opinion is as long as it's not against the rules, it's OK. But I like that Rags fans have but two choices now: admit they're playing boring and eat crap for all the years of bitching about the Devils OR deny it and be called a hypocrite by everyone outside the Garden.

In bold: this is where I am.

I don't want to hear any bitching about Lundqvist and his pads, the Rangers' style of play...none of it. And most (not all, but most) Ranger fans I meet are hypocritical blowhards and pretty dumb to begin with, so I don't really expect them to acknowledge much of anything...so be it.

That being said, Rangers are winning fair and square. Hopefully the Devils' "domination" of the Rangers will actually start showing up where it matters...tonight.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976