224 replies to this topic

#221 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

This would not be said about a North American player.

Zipay reporting it might be 6 months - there go the buyout options.

By me? Yes, it would. Fine line between gutting it out through an injury, and clearly not being effective. He should have been lowered to around 10-12 min/night.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#222 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Did not say he should sit out. Saying he shouldn't have played AS MUCH. He was clearly not playing well despite his effort. It is one thing to play through pain, another to play and hurt the team. I wasn't advocating scratching him, just limit his ice-time.

Should that be Gaborik's decision or Tortorella's? And really who else were the Rangers going to play that was going to make a difference? Callahan's leg? Gaborik at 75% is better then all but a handful of players on your roster.

#223 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Did not say he should sit out. Saying he shouldn't have played AS MUCH. He was clearly not playing well despite his effort. It is one thing to play through pain, another to play and hurt the team. I wasn't advocating scratching him, just limit his ice-time.

That's fair, and that's on Torts. I think most people, including me, are defending Gaborik for trying to play through it, not defending his usage.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#224 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Agreed, it is more on Torts. However, I also feel the player has a duty to inform the coaches or tell a teammate who can tell the coaches if you doesn't want to come off as a wimp for speaking up. squishy, he wasn't even 75%. Maybe 50%. Increase the icetime of Kreider, Stepan (although he was snake-bitten), even get your 4th liners involved more.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#225 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Agreed, it is more on Torts. However, I also feel the player has a duty to inform the coaches or tell a teammate who can tell the coaches if you doesn't want to come off as a wimp for speaking up. squishy, he wasn't even 75%. Maybe 50%. Increase the icetime of Kreider, Stepan (although he was snake-bitten), even get your 4th liners involved more.

Gaborik shots per game, regular season: 3.37
Gaborik shots per game, playoffs: 3.00

Dubinsky said, when asked what % he was at health-wise, said 'We don't do percentages here'. Which means they don't. Can Gaborik play? Answer: Yes. So he's going to get the same minutes he did in the regular season. Increase the ice time of Stepan? He wasn't just snake-bit, he was awful. Increase the ice time of Kreider? He's never played in the NHL.

The Devils are going through the same thing with Kovalchuk now - he's not close to 100%. But they don't have anyone who can come close to replacing his ice time or what he does for the team, so he's largely been left in the same roles and with the same ice time. It's the playoffs, it's up to every player to try to lift their game, injuries or no injuries.

Edited by Triumph, 04 June 2012 - 12:16 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users